Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jun 19, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #4,546 of 6,229
Jun 19, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #4,547 of 6,229
Jun 19, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #4,548 of 6,229
Morning listening. :)

A6637E64-CE73-4652-AD3D-EA6834C96441.jpeg
Does it pair well? When I first tried D8000 Pro at the shop, I tried it with C9. I thought it sounded good, but felt something was missing. I then tried it on a desktop amp at the shop, and it opens up quite a bit, so I concluded that while C9 was able to drive it, not to its maximum potential. Curious what you think.

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #4,549 of 6,229
Does it pair well? When I first tried D8000 Pro at the shop, I tried it with C9. I thought it sounded good, but felt something was missing. I then tried it on a desktop amp at the shop, and it opens up quite a bit, so I concluded that while C9 was able to drive it, not to its maximum potential. Curious what you think.
I think it is quite good, but I am only competing it with M30, another all-in-one device. Will report back when I get Naim HE. Will definitely want to have a decent desktop setup later on, but right now I need to keep my setup neat.

One thing I do notice is that the source matters sooo much. A02 + C9 is good but no better than M30. P6 Pro + C9 is wayyyy better.

Jun 19, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #4,550 of 6,229
I think it is quite good, but I am only competing it with M30, another all-in-one device. Will report back when I get Naim HE. Will definitely want to have a decent desktop setup later on, but right now I need to keep my setup neat.

One thing I do notice is that the source matters sooo much. A02 + C9 is good but no better than M30. P6 Pro + C9 is wayyyy better.
Yes, D8000 Pro needs good source, but also C9. I also find source matter a lot for C9 too, for example I just tried the new Cayin N6ii R01 module, didn't find that impressive with C9, it's good, but not amazing. R01 module itself has very interesting sound, but that gets muted a bit coming through tube class A mode of C9, which I was surprise given that it's both from Cayin. (Although I don't think R01 has a LO mode, so maybe this is what happen with you double amp, sounds get colored a bit)

Jun 19, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #4,551 of 6,229
Yes, D8000 Pro needs good source, but also C9. I also find source matter a lot for C9 too, for example I just tried the new Cayin N6ii R01 module, didn't find that impressive with C9, it's good, but not amazing. R01 module itself has very interesting sound, but that gets muted a bit coming through tube class A mode of C9, which I was surprise given that it's both from Cayin. (Although I don't think R01 has a LO mode, so maybe this is what happen with you double amp, sounds get colored a bit)
Indeed. I enjoy R2R sound so much that it is kind of a must for my future desktop gears to be R2R. Thinking about the Holo May DAC + a decent amp, but that’s a large investment and I will need time to do more research. :)

Jun 19, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #4,552 of 6,229
F486B343-8BCF-4F5D-8E5A-11FA37E1B2C3.jpeg

I can’t remember if I posted this but C9 also pairs very well with the technical ability of the Hugo2

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #4,553 of 6,229
Indeed. I enjoy R2R sound so much that it is kind of a must for my future desktop gears to be R2R. Thinking about the Holo May DAC + a decent amp, but that’s a large investment and I will need time to do more research. :)
If you wanted to stick with R-2R source, you should find an opportunity to audition TotalDAC, dCS, and MSB, especially dCS. The MSB is probably a far fetched financially, but ring DAC is R-2R and Bartok is a relatively affordable fully integrated modern digital source. Total DAC was the R-2R star just before the Holo May, so definitely worth checking out.

By the way, I have to add this last suggestion, all these DAC works perfectly well with our HA-6A or HA-300, so don't miss this part in your future plan. :L3000:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 19, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #4,554 of 6,229
If you wanted to stick with R-2R source, you should find an opportunity to audition TotalDAC, dCS, and MSB, especially dCS. The MSB is probably a far fetched financially, but ring DAC is R-2R and Bartok is a relatively affordable fully integrated modern digital source. Total DAC was the R-2R star just before the Holo May, so definitely worth checking out.

By the way, I have to add this last suggestion, all these DAC works perfectly well with our HA-6A or HA-300, so don't miss this part in your future plan. :L3000:
I second this. I got a rare opportunity to try dcs bartok with HA300 with Susvara, bartok by itself was ready awesome sound, amping it through HA300 creates antirr
ely new emotion. I wouldn't say better, I'd say different. Some song becomes very dreamy smooth holographic.

I already own HA300 and Susvara and it's a dream combination, bartok would have taken it to the next level. I didn't pull the trigger though because of the price, for something that expensive I have to think a bit more, hoping bartok comes back later for me to try some more.

Jun 19, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #4,555 of 6,229

I second this. I got a rare opportunity to try dcs bartok with HA300 with Susvara, bartok by itself was ready awesome sound, amping it through HA300 creates antirr
ely new emotion. I wouldn't say better, I'd say different. Some song becomes very dreamy smooth holographic.

I already own HA300 and Susvara and it's a dream combination, bartok would have taken it to the next level. I didn't pull the trigger though because of the price, for something that expensive I have to think a bit more, hoping bartok comes back later for me to try some more.
Thanks for all these great suggestions! Seems that a Cayin HA-6A or HA-300 is a must for me as a next step. 🥰

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #4,556 of 6,229
From what I gather, C9 and R01 are not designed or recommended to pair together because of the lack of a LO and the potential for noise.

Any more impressions of the R01 on its own? (I'm expecting mine next week...)

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #4,557 of 6,229
From what I gather, C9 and R01 are not designed or recommended to pair together because of the lack of a LO and the potential for noise.

Any more impressions of the R01 on its own? (I'm expecting mine next week...)
Not recommended for OCD people who listens to Celine Dion.

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #4,559 of 6,229
So it's not a problem for Cannibal Corpse listeners?
Its not a problem unless one wants to create a problem inorder to have an excuse to buy something new. I heard great sounds coming from double amping.

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #4,560 of 6,229
Pat Matheny and Stanley Clarke sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back