Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 30, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #5,521 of 6,212
Congrats @AnalogandDigital !
C9 is a Swiss knife, I’m enjoying a lot of jazz in class A, solid state amp stage and high gain

Apr 1, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #5,524 of 6,212
Hey all. New C9 user here. Wanted to ask a couple questions in regard to safety when using the C9:

- should headphones be plugged in before switching the C9, or after, or doesn’t it matter?
- any precautions when switching between class A and AB (eg. disconnect headphones, switch, reconnect)?
- similarly, any precautions needed when switching gain and timbre?

Many thanks in advance! Just want to ensure optimum safety for both the amp and the transducers.
1. I believe it was recommended a while back in the thread to have all cables plugged in - especially with the 4.4 plug. Something about the polarities touching when removing a cable.
2. I switch between amps on the fly all the time! No issues ever…
3. When switching from Line to Pre, be very careful! Most likely you’ll have set you DAP to line out (max volume) - Pre does the same thing with the amp which means max volume from both devices! You can expect damage to the IEM’s and your eardrums! When using Pre, you control the volume through the source.

Apr 1, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #5,525 of 6,212
Hey all. New C9 user here. Wanted to ask a couple questions in regard to safety when using the C9:

- should headphones be plugged in before switching the C9, or after, or doesn’t it matter?
- any precautions when switching between class A and AB (eg. disconnect headphones, switch, reconnect)?

Many thanks in advance! Just want to ensure optimum safety for both the amp and the transducers.
Suggest to search this thread for all entries by @Andykong - should tell you all you need to know on safety with C9

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #5,526 of 6,212

1. I believe it was recommended a while back in the thread to have all cables plugged in - especially with the 4.4 plug. Something about the polarities touching when removing a cable.
2. I switch between amps on the fly all the time! No issues ever…
3. When switching from Line to Pre, be very careful! Most likely you’ll have set you DAP to line out (max volume) - Pre does the same thing with the amp which means max volume from both devices! You can expect damage to the IEM’s and your eardrums! When using Pre, you control the volume through the source.

Thanks @lil BANE

Yes, I do advice we connected all the cables first and make sure all connection are secured before we power on the amplfieir. It is particaularly important to make sure the 4.4mm connector is fully pushed in, otherwise it can cause short circuit between R- and GND of 4.4mm connector. The short circuit won't happen instantly when you power on, it'll take a minute or two, depends on the voltage level between the short circit. Normally unplug is not a problem because the short circuit will only last less than a second when you unplug the connector, but if you plug the conenctor into the amplifier, without realise that you didn't push it completely and left the short circuit to contiue during you playback, and wandering why it didn't sound right today, the short cricuit will damage the amplifier before you find out the problem. You can check out our previous discussion on this subject HERE, HERE and HERE.

On the othe hand, you are safe to switch between Amplificaton mode (Class A and Class AB), Timbre (Tube and Solid State) and Gain level, there is no need to turn down the volume or power off the amplifier. The gain control will increase 6dB from L to H, not really a big deal at loudness level, there are ample time to turn down the volume when you feel the H gain is too loud.

Using the Pre-amp input mode will require more caution. Check THIS out if you haven't read the Pre-amp explanation before.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 4, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #5,527 of 6,212
Suggest to search this thread for all entries by @Andykong - should tell you all you need to know on safety with C9

This a very supportive recongition of my work, thank you and sincerely appreciated.

I have compliled a FAQ and Resources for C9, please check scroll to the bottom of the openiong post at Page 1, and you find several links, that should provide a good starting point AFTER you read the content of opening post.

1649064857345.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 4, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #5,528 of 6,212
This a very supportive recongition of my work, thank you and sincerely appreciated.

I have compliled a FAQ and Resources for C9, please check scroll to the bottom of the openiong post at Page 1, and you find several links, that should provide a good starting point AFTER you read the content of opening post.

1649064857345.png
Thank YOU sir for your kind and consistent commitment to us users. C9 is the gem of the portable amplifier world. The detail on pushing in the 4.4 mm inter-connect snugly had escaped me in prior reading of the thread so this was VERY GOOD to learn.

Apr 7, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #5,529 of 6,212
Hey guys, I'm entertaining the idea of joining the C9 Club. Has anyone here paired one with the original Sony WM1Z, and if so, what's your experience of the combo? I'm a bit concerned the WM1Z doesn't have a true LO, but I'm told using the C9 in preamp mode fixes that issue. Would welcome any insight or advice.

Apr 7, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #5,530 of 6,212
Hey guys, I'm entertaining the idea of joining the C9 Club. Has anyone here paired one with the original Sony WM1Z, and if so, what's your experience of the combo? I'm a bit concerned the WM1Z doesn't have a true LO, but I'm told using the C9 in preamp mode fixes that issue. Would welcome any insight or advice.
I recommend True LO source for the C9, unless you “have to have” Sony and S-Master, in which case, you have no option as far as portability go

Apr 7, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #5,531 of 6,212
Tried it with WM1A and didn't really like the results, but then I was never entirely enamoured with the WM1A itself. An actual LO DAP would be likely make better use of the C9 IMO (although having said that, Hugo 2 and C9 pair together marvellously...so maybe it's more a question of synergy).

Apr 7, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #5,532 of 6,212
The C9 has excellent pre-amp input, I am using it with FiiO players that don't have a dedicated line out.
So don't worry at all.

Apr 7, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #5,535 of 6,212
In fact, my results using pre-amp mode in C9 are better than using the LO from AKSp1k (yes, it may not be true).
That is logic, because SP1K doesn’t have true Line Out :wink:, and at the least, your ears are not fooling you. You should start trusting it more. If one day I can’t trust my ears anymore, I will call it quit, and save myself a fortune. Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back