Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 9, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #2,191 of 6,212
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #2,193 of 6,212
Hi Andy,

Just to confirm, I'm talking about using the XLR pre-amp outputs on the rear of the A90, not the headphone outputs in the front. My understanding is the XLR pre-amp output is the same as the headphone out, but with an extra 40 ohm resistor. Would this still not be suitable to use with C9 in Pre mode? Thank you.

The 40ohm resistor will make it safe for pre-amp function, so you can use it with C9.

However the signal path of A90 involve both hefty voltage and current gain, and in our experience, this will introduce background noise and possibly distortion when connect to C9 as Pre-amp input.

If C9 and A90 are lying around, by all means give it a try since it won't cost you anything (maybe the dual XLR to 4.4mm cable), but please keep the A90 at low gain, and turn up the A90 volume really slowly. For your reference, the A90 balanced line out is rated upto 49Vpp and that is equivalent to 17Vrms, a fairly high output level for pre-amp output.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 9, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,194 of 6,212
Please allow me to share some thing I just collectively found.

We have all found that the 4.4mm input on the C9 is connected toward ground in the sleeve.

By design, when unplugging, the R- toward the ground will be momentarily shorted before the detector can disconnect the circuitry. This momentarily short during the amplifier being live is no good.

So I recommend to turn the C9 off before any unplugging

The same thing as the A02, make sure you turn off “auto plug and play”. Then turn off the playing app before you “unplug”

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #2,195 of 6,212
Don’t know what that means, but it sounds dangerous. Maybe there is something to equipment getting damaged when used with the C9?

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #2,197 of 6,212
Just turn off before unplugging and that is that.
Andy perhaps that should be added to the instructions as a caution. I remember reading these kind of cautions when changing lenses on my Nikon camera, to switch the camera off before changing lenses.

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2,198 of 6,212
I covered that in DAP pair up section of my write up, please scroll down my review.
I have a Hiby R6 2020. What do you think the pairing would be like for that DAP with the C9 vs the R8? Would it be similar?

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #2,199 of 6,212
4129930A-A5D4-49F5-8FE4-29573634AF1A.jpeg

Looks like I’ll be snagging this with the C9 when musicteck has it all available.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #2,200 of 6,212
4129930A-A5D4-49F5-8FE4-29573634AF1A.jpeg

Looks like I’ll be snagging this with the C9 when musicteck has it all available.

Looks cool and will prevent "naked" C9 from sliding across smooth/glass table surfaces :wink:

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #2,202 of 6,212
Please allow me to share some thing I just collectively found.

We have all found that the 4.4mm input on the C9 is connected toward ground in the sleeve.

By design, when unplugging, the R- toward the ground will be momentarily shorted before the detector can disconnect the circuitry. This momentarily short during the amplifier being live is no good.

So I recommend to turn the C9 off before any unplugging

The same thing as the A02, make sure you turn off “auto plug and play”. Then turn off the playing app before you “unplug”
Does this also mean the amp can damage the source?

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #2,203 of 6,212
Does this also mean the amp can damage the source?
No amp can damage the source, a bad cables will and it had happened before.

Most of the time when a bad cables happened, you can always tell. No sound from one channel or both, lowered volume or intermittent sound, distorted or clipping

If you are plugging and unplugging the input when the amp is “Live or On stage”. You will be risking damage toward both the source and the Amp. This is due to the 4.4mm Nature of design with it cylindrical body. Again, not the Amplifier

The Pentaconn 4.4mm is newly adopted
and Sony started it first with Walkman. We are seeing it everywhere now for portable devices. It is much better alternative than 2.5mm. However, to properly have the safe interconnect and Grounding, the interface better be XLR or Mini XLR like Kann. This way no pins can be shorting out momentarily to ground because all pins are separated and plugged or pulled at the same time. The output of any headphones out do not need to be grounded, and so this risk won’t happen with 4.4mm. None of Sony has Line out and their 4.4 are never grounded. So this thought escaped my mind previously

Also, I have tested it , the A02 has grounded Sleeve on 4.4mm and the C9 headphones out has no ground connected to its sleeve. So then by the design of 4.4mm. I also recommend to stop the music, turn off the amp before you plug and unplug the A02 as a source. This thought caught my attentions since I am looking into making a properly shielded Interconnect for A02 and C9 . If you use Neutron, turn off the auto plug and play feature

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #2,204 of 6,212
I’m just concerned about if this will dissipate the heat effectively...
Doubt it!!! Look good though, and if you are running Class AB with Solid State constantly, then this will be a good buy as the Amp does not heat up as much. The vents ok the sides, too, bottom are likely enough to dissipate heat under this circumstances

If you are using Class A and Tube mode, the heat is about 2X generated. Given that Class A by itself can generate a lot of heat by design, and the tubes, and the fact that the battery life is cut in half from a rated 10 hours down to 5 hours. If you are using the C9 under this mode, you are recommended to have it laying out on the table in open air (Do not put or wrap anything over the top). More effectively, be using heat sinks to help the C9 to dissipate the heat

I have seen question, did Cayin think of this heat during the engineering process ? Definitely did, and I am sure of it. It just that it worries us and of course when touching it surface being this hot will further worry us.

These components within the C9 is rated to work upto 150 Celsius for example this Input differential LSK489. Most of the time these modern components will have it efficiency throttled under severe heat starting from 75 Celsius or 167f which isn’t safe to touch.

Anyways, the cooler is the better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back