Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #4,816 of 6,232
1. No, you don't need to wait for the amplifier to cool down, you can charge the C9 immediately after you stop playback.

2. Yes, the battery module is a power supply and QC3.0 18650 charger 2in1. you can charge your second set of battery in the battery module seperately.

3. Yes, and that's the whole point of allowing users to buy second battery module: facilitate non-stop (almost) playback. You don't need to cool down the amplifier, just plug in a fully charge module and continue your music session immediately.

4. Yes, you can have several set of 4x18650 batteries and swap them out anytime, the only requirements is to replace all 4 battery at the same time. Don't replace one or two batteries. You can do that with a torch but you must not do that with C9 because the battery are connect in series, not parallel. In fact, you can do this with any 18650 charger. I use three sets of 4x18650 batteries before the spare battery module are available separately. You can get a decent 4-slot 18650 charger at around $30, which is a lot cheaper if you don't want to swap the battery instantly like (3)

Be reminded when the chassis of C9 reached 50 degree C, it become uncomfortably hot to hold in your hand, but it is still a very safe operation temperature for the C9 circuitry. (and components).
This is excellent advice Andy ! That is why you are awesome !

I am getting XTAR VC4s 4slot 18650 charger from Orbtronic in addition to 8 orbtronic 3500 mAh batteries so that I can charge them and keep them in protective case and swap them out when needed.

I will be having some followup questions to ask on interconnects as well later today, though currently workung in office.

Thanks once again !

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #4,818 of 6,232
Given the number of C9 / A02 going since the N8ii announcement my bet would be people looking for the all in one solution that N8ii provides discrete amp, nutubes like C9 and a faster DAP with better DAC than N6ii/A02

N8ii will be smaller then C9, and it will carry a lot of non-amplification components such as screen, MCU, DAC, BT/WiFi, ....

N8ii will use one piece of 3.7V lithium battery to power everything in the DAP, C9 use 4x18650 (in series) to provide +/- 8.4V non-regulated power supply to the amplification circuit only.

If N8ii headphone amplification can compete with C9 back to back, it would be ideal and amazing, but engineering are bounded by physics, and from what I have just said, the physic is on C9's side. :beerchug: :ksc75smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 11, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #4,819 of 6,232
N8ii will be smaller then C9, and it will carry a lot of non-amplification components such as screen, MCU, DAC, BT/WiFi, ....

N8ii will use one piece of 3.7V lithium battery to power everything in the DAP, C9 use 4x18650 (in series) to provide +/- 8.4V non-regulated power supply to the amplification circuit only.

If N8ii headphone amplification can compete with C9 back to back, it would be ideal and amazing, but engineering are bounded by physics, and from what I have just said, the physic is on C9's side. :beerchug: :ksc75smile:
Yeah sure not arguing there just saying depending on your priorities and gear you plug it could prove a very acceptable “compromise” :)

This being said even IEMs enjoy headroom and authority I look forward to my time with C9.

I am sure getting N8ii, C9 on top why the hell not if my bonus alllows :)

Aug 11, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #4,820 of 6,232
Yeah sure not arguing there just saying depending on your priorities and gear you plug it could prove a very acceptable “compromise” :)

This being said even IEMs enjoy headroom and authority I look forward to my time with C9.

I am sure getting N8ii, C9 on top why the hell not if my bonus alllows :)
Everyone is missing the point!!! The point is to get N8II with DAC + Tubes True LINE OUT + C9 = Ultimate Tubes essentials needs and the power to drive most IEMS/Buds, some easy to drive full sizes as well

Oh, and if you are in for Cayin house sound, you would be indulged by such

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #4,821 of 6,232
1. No, you don't need to wait for the amplifier to cool down, you can charge the C9 immediately after you stop playback.

2. Yes, the battery module is a power supply and QC3.0 18650 charger 2in1. you can charge your second set of battery in the battery module seperately.

3. Yes, and that's the whole point of allowing users to buy second battery module: facilitate non-stop (almost) playback. You don't need to cool down the amplifier, just plug in a fully charge module and continue your music session immediately.

4. Yes, you can have several set of 4x18650 batteries and swap them out anytime, the only requirements is to replace all 4 battery at the same time. Don't replace one or two batteries. You can do that with a torch but you must not do that with C9 because the battery are connect in series, not parallel. In fact, you can do this with any 18650 charger. I use three sets of 4x18650 batteries before the spare battery module are available separately. You can get a decent 4-slot 18650 charger at around $30, which is a lot cheaper if you don't want to swap the battery instantly like (3)

Be reminded when the chassis of C9 reached 50 degree C, it become uncomfortably hot to hold in your hand, but it is still a very safe operation temperature for the C9 circuitry. (and components).
@Andykong

I have few questions on interconnects based on some reading within the threads

1. Cayin provides two of them - 4.4 mm to 4.4 mm (without ground) and 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm (with ground ??). Now I have multiple DAPs including Cayin's flagship N8. Some of these DAPs especially the modular amp DAPs like Ibasso and Astell & Kern have 2.5 mm lineouts. My question here is can I add a 2.5 mm adapter to one end of the 4.4 mm interconnect and plug it into 2.5 mm lineout ? (other end 4.4 mm would go to Cayin C9 obviously) The one I am talking about looks like the one in the link below

https://audio46.com/products/dd-ddh...m-female-to-2-5mm-male-headphone-jack-adapter

2. Following up on #1 (assuming the answer is yes to the question) , does it matter if 4.4 mm interconnect is grounded or not to connect it to 2.5 mm lineout via adapter ?

3. I also have another tube amp "Oriolus BA300S" (it works only on preamp inputs, no line in) which I have read on Headfi threads that I can connect 3.5 mm phone out directly to 4.4 mm balanced input (by either using the adapter in the link below or an interconnect that is 3.5 mm to 4.4 mm).

https://audio46.com/products/dd-ddh...m-female-to-3-5mm-male-headphone-jack-adapter

My question is : Would I be able to connect say 3.5 mm phone out of Cayin N8 to 4.4 mm balanced input of Cayin C9 (Assuming I am operating in preamp in mode) using the adapter above or interconnect method ?

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #4,822 of 6,232
Everyone is missing the point!!! The point is to get N8II with DAC + Tubes True LINE OUT + C9 = Ultimate Tubes essentials needs and the power to drive most IEMS/Buds, some easy to drive full sizes as well

Oh, and if you are in for Cayin house sound, you would be indulged by such

Tube true line out? C9 is a tube integrated amplifier, wouldn't tube based lineout become excessive, even when technically feasible. Its like cooking a dish, you need to add some salt to bring out the flavour, but adding too much salt does not make the food more tasty. IMHO, this is not really a good option.

Maybe if you stack a DAP with a regular solid state amplifier, adding a tube buffer in the line out is a good selling point, but please be reminded that the Nutube based dual timbre circuit in N8 used the tube as first stage amplification, not a buffer.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #4,823 of 6,232
Tube true line out? C9 is a tube integrated amplifier, wouldn't tube based lineout become excessive, even when technically feasible. Its like cooking a dish, you need to add some salt to bring out the flavour, but adding too much salt does not make the food more tasty. IMHO, this is not really a good option.

Maybe if you stack a DAP with a regular solid state amplifier, adding a tube buffer in the line out is a good selling point, but please be reminded that the Nutube based dual timbre circuit in N8 used the tube as first stage amplification, not a buffer.
Oh, believe me, there are people who loves overly sweetened donuts!!! Same as tubes!! The more tubes, the better :). Yes, I am aware of the N8 tubes that can’t answer it this way, and so I am hopping the N8ii possibly be using the tubes at the buffer stage.

I do honestly look forward to this N8ii development, and salivating at any news that you may toss at me :wink:. I would think that it would make a lot of senses this way, and since I think Cayin developments are very logical, I have a good chance that the N8ii will be as I hoped

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #4,824 of 6,232
@Andykong

I have few questions on interconnects based on some reading within the threads

1. Cayin provides two of them - 4.4 mm to 4.4 mm (without ground) and 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm (with ground ??). Now I have multiple DAPs including Cayin's flagship N8. Some of these DAPs especially the modular amp DAPs like Ibasso and Astell & Kern have 2.5 mm lineouts. My question here is can I add a 2.5 mm adapter to one end of the 4.4 mm interconnect and plug it into 2.5 mm lineout ? (other end 4.4 mm would go to Cayin C9 obviously) The one I am talking about looks like the one in the link below

https://audio46.com/products/dd-ddh...m-female-to-2-5mm-male-headphone-jack-adapter

2. Following up on #1 (assuming the answer is yes to the question) , does it matter if 4.4 mm interconnect is grounded or not to connect it to 2.5 mm lineout via adapter ?

3. I also have another tube amp "Oriolus BA300S" (it works only on preamp inputs, no line in) which I have read on Headfi threads that I can connect 3.5 mm phone out directly to 4.4 mm balanced input (by either using the adapter in the link below or an interconnect that is 3.5 mm to 4.4 mm).

https://audio46.com/products/dd-ddh...m-female-to-3-5mm-male-headphone-jack-adapter

My question is : Would I be able to connect say 3.5 mm phone out of Cayin N8 to 4.4 mm balanced input of Cayin C9 (Assuming I am operating in preamp in mode) using the adapter above or interconnect method ?

(1) I can't comment on the validity of the 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter you mentioned. We cannot certify a third party accessories unless we have tested it ourselves. Connection 2.5mm balanced line out to 4.4mm input of C9 is fairly straight forward, as long as you have aligned the L+, L-, R+ and R- connection correctly and it should work. It can be a custom make cable, or an adapter that conform the pin definition of your 2.5mm output to the standard 4.4mm pin definition.

1628766332434.png

2. From functional point of view, the connection is workable with or without ground. There is no clear answer which one is superior over the other, and if you read through this thread, you can find supporter of grounded interconnect and ungrounded interconnect at the same time. I cannot offer a black and white answer on this subject. You have to try it out yourself to determine your personal preference. I can tell you that I prefer grounded interconnect. I have three 4.4mm short interconnect in my collection, 2 grounded and 1 ungrounded, and I tends to use the two grounded interconnects more often. This is my personal preference.

3. I cannot comment on Oriolus BA300S, I'll leave it to others. We do not recommend 3.5mm DAP output to 4.4mm input with C9. This will violate our input detection and we have explained this in previous discussion. (HERE)

What exactly do you plan to use with C9? Why do you want to connect 3.5mm DAP output to 4.4mm balanced input when C9 has build in conversion circuit for that purpose already? Try not to complicate yourself.

Last edited:

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #4,825 of 6,232
@Andykong

I was interested to try my Calyx M with C9. I understand now that this is not acceptable for device safety. Hence I will not pursue that option. I will use 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm connection for preamp in and line in modes for Calyx M (which has only PO) and other DAPs which do have true 3.5 mm lineouts.

I am going to give a shot with 2.5 mm lineout with that adapter to 4.4 mm. I presume if I can make the lineout work, I should be able to make 2.5 mm phone out work as well. Hope everything goes fine.

Aug 13, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #4,827 of 6,232
@Andykong

I was interested to try my Calyx M with C9. I understand now that this is not acceptable for device safety. Hence I will not pursue that option. I will use 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm connection for preamp in and line in modes for Calyx M (which has only PO) and other DAPs which do have true 3.5 mm lineouts.

I am going to give a shot with 2.5 mm lineout with that adapter to 4.4 mm. I presume if I can make the lineout work, I should be able to make 2.5 mm phone out work as well. Hope everything goes fine.

The Calyx M probably is not a good source for C9. From what I recall, its phone out is high current Class A, it is very powerful with a warmish sound signature. In general, high current and high power output are attributes that are unfavourable to preamp input mode. Even if you can use the 3.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, it won't make any different since the C9 offers single-ended input for balanced output anyway.

Aug 14, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #4,829 of 6,232
The stack is cool, but you realize it’s not really usable unless someone buys a Cayin N6ii? Any chance that is part of your sale @Whitigir ?

Aug 14, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #4,830 of 6,232
The stack is cool, but you realize it’s not really usable unless someone buys a Cayin N6ii? Any chance that is part of your sale @Whitigir ?
What ? You can use any dap you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back