Cavalli Liquid Gold
Apr 20, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #106 of 415
Quote:
Tom is correct.

The Cavalli Liquid Gold will be doing battle with the new similarly priced Luxman P700u at today's Long Island New York Meet. Source will be a PS Audio PWD II /PWT stack.

Ethan

I'm curious about the Luxman P-700u since I could only find them on Amazon, eBay, and TTVJ. This will be interesting to hear which is the better headphone amp: LAu or P-700u.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #108 of 415
Quote:

me too.
patience, the place is taboo
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

Talking about in production amps. As for the RP2000 I believe only was was ever made (I met the guy).

the rp-2000 is in production.

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #111 of 415
Quote:

Have you emailed them to confirm this? The guy told me Rudi said he's never going to make one of these again- apparently due to health issues.

i don´t like to send mail to rudi, we are not on good terms.
but i know that he sold some of this amplifier

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #112 of 415
So what headphone amps are directly competing with the LAu (besides features and price)? Also what DACs will work well with the LAu? I know NAD M51 works well with the LAu while the ODAC sounds really harsh when paired with the LAu.

May 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #115 of 415
Quote:
at this price, i think it´s due

I don't think a single person reading this thread would disagree that a $6k headphone amp should be impressive. Whether someone expects it to be---and to what extent---is another matter entirely, of course. Plenty of expensive gear out there that fails to live up to expectations in that regard, but in this case I find the amp "pays its dues."

A few months back I tried the prototype LAu along with fellow head-fier Radio_Head, and we both pretty much felt it was the best solid state amp we'd heard. The pre-production version I recently auditioned is an improvement over the prototype. A not-insignificant one, IMHO.  By no means is it a perfect amp, that goes without saying. Also beyond the very obvious cost factor it's not going to be for everyone. For me personally, I find it's ideal based on my preferences for how I like my gear to sound---or not sound---as well as my set of needs.

I sort of feel there's not much of a point in waxing poetic about this amp as most folks are going to arrive at their own conclusions irregardless. In my experience, much of the time people filter impressions to get support for and validate what they already feel they know to be the case. For the LAu specifically, I wouldn't be surprised if many have already decided "it's a good amp but it wont be worth $6k." Fair enough. Who am I to try and persuade them otherwise? Value and worth are personal matters, and there's a whole plethora of factors at work when deciding if something is personally worth it or not. Really the best thing someone who is considering this amp can do, as with any expensive piece of kit, is to try and audition it for themselves. Otherwise if someone genuinely wants to read my ramblings about the amp, I've posted them in the usual places. Also anyone can feel free to PM me.

May 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #116 of 415
Quote:

I don't think a single person reading this thread would disagree that a $6k headphone amp should be impressive. Whether someone expects it to be---and to what extent---is another matter entirely, of course. Plenty of expensive gear out there that fails to live up to expectations in that regard, but in this case I find the amp "pays its dues."

A few months back I tried the prototype LAu along with fellow head-fier Radio_Head, and we both pretty much felt it was the best solid state amp we'd heard. The pre-production version I recently auditioned is an improvement over the prototype. A not-insignificant one, IMHO.  By no means is it a perfect amp, that goes without saying. Also beyond the very obvious cost factor it's not going to be for everyone. For me personally, I find it's ideal based on my preferences for how I like my gear to sound---or not sound---as well as my set of needs.

I sort of feel there's not much of a point in waxing poetic about this amp as most folks are going to arrive at their own conclusions irregardless. In my experience, much of the time people filter impressions to get support for and validate what they already feel they know to be the case. For the LAu specifically, I wouldn't be surprised if many have already decided "it's a good amp but it wont be worth $6k." Fair enough. Who am I to try and persuade them otherwise? Value and worth are personal matters, and there's a whole plethora of factors at work when deciding if something is personally worth it or not. Really the best thing someone who is considering this amp can do, as with any expensive piece of kit, is to try and audition it for themselves. Otherwise if someone genuinely wants to read my ramblings about the amp, I've posted them in the usual places. Also anyone can feel free to PM me.

i agree your post but my post was not as personal criticism of you.
just: at this price, it has to sound good.

May 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #117 of 415
Quote:
i agree your post but my post was not as personal criticism of you.
just: at this price, it has to sound good.

Oh, I didn't interpret your post as a criticism or anything like that. I was just reflecting on the prospect of sharing impressions for something like this to begin with, really. 

I just don't really know what to say about it, or what I could say about it that would be remotely worthwhile beyond "it's good --- listen to it if you get the chance." Unfortunately money is never really an indication of whether a product is actually good or not. I've heard DACs that cost almost five figures that sounded no better---and even worse than---something like the Invicta that costs less than half as much. Such is the precarious world of high-end audio.

So yeah, I just thought I'd say that the LAu is a damn fine amp to my ears. Beyond that I could write some more flowery language, talk about how it's led me down some path toward spiritual enlightenment, string random sentences together like 6moons .... but really, at the end of the day, I think most people will just shrug and say to themselves "it's still overpriced." And hey, I don't blame them. How good the LAu sounds is always going to be a matter of debate, but for me personally I knew I was going to put a deposit down within five minutes of listening to the pre-production model.

May 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #118 of 415
Quote:

Oh, I didn't interpret your post as a criticism or anything like that. I was just reflecting on the prospect of sharing impressions for something like this to begin with, really. 

I just don't really know what to say about it, or what I could say about it that would be remotely worthwhile beyond "it's good --- listen to it if you get the chance." Unfortunately money is never really an indication of whether a product is actually good or not. I've heard DACs that cost almost five figures that sounded no better---and even worse than---something like the Invicta that costs less than half as much. Such is the precarious world of high-end audio.

So yeah, I just thought I'd say that the LAu is a damn fine amp to my ears. Beyond that I could write some more flowery language, talk about how it's led me down some path toward spiritual enlightenment, string random sentences together like 6moons .... but really, at the end of the day, I think most people will just shrug and say to themselves "it's still overpriced." And hey, I don't blame them. How good the LAu sounds is always going to be a matter of debate, but for me personally I knew I was going to put a deposit down within five minutes of listening to the pre-production model.

i agrre again your entire post.
the high-end market is not perfect.
but this is a cavalliaudio amp from one of the best designers.
for this my account.
i´m really curious about this amplifier because i´m not a tube lover and i know that a good solid state project is not less compared to a tube amplfier.
but i´m in a corner of europe and the only solution is with my wallet
blink.gif

May 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #119 of 415
At this price point, you're almost in the same ballpark as LL2/SR-009 system. If both were sitting next to each other, which system would get the most votes at a meet. I would think if the LAu could compete at that level, then price wouldn't be an issue.

May 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #120 of 415
For some people it doesn't have to be an either/or with nice stat/dynamic rigs.

If it is, I don't think either amp would convert people who already prefer one headphone to another - if you think the 009 beats the pants off any dynamics you've ever heard an amp won't change presentation enough to change that (although I haven't heard an LL2 - I'm speaking in generalities.)  If, on the other hand, you love the presentation of headphones like the HD800, the Audeze and Hifiman cans, K1000's, etc, then it makes sense one would want the best amp possible to drive them even if they could get a stat rig for the same money.  The speaker world has quite a few users who don't prefer stat presentation, and it makes sense that such a market would exist on Head-Fi as well.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back