Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Sep 1, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #2,911 of 2,966
How does the HD800 sound with the LC v2 compared to the amp section of the HDVD800 Or the HDVA600

Aj

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #2,912 of 2,966
The new Liquid Carbon. BBZIeGc.jpg
Couldn't resist.(Ford GT Liquid Carbon)

Feb 6, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #2,915 of 2,966
Mar 7, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #2,916 of 2,966
Apropos of nothing, another tale of the LC v2:

During the last year I had the luxury of borrowing my friend's ZMF Aeolus (sapele wood) 3 or 4 times. These were pretty long loans, never less than 2 weeks, and most recently, nearly 2 months. So I became very familiar w/the Aeolus, totally fell in love with it, then just before Xmas ordered my own blackwood Aeolus. Mind you, in all that time I almost certainly used the borrowed Aeolus w/my LC v2, but just don't recall the sound (I have 7 amps...I move it around).

So after fully burning in my new Aeolus, in past couple weeks I began trying it on various amps, getting very good sound (but somewhat different sound) for each amp. This headphone is definitely not amp-picky. Last week it was the turn of the LC v2.

From the 1st note I got one of those fortuitous, unexpected synergy experiences. Unexpected because the Aeolus is somewhat warm sounding even w/the most neutral of the pad options; and so is the LC v2. Warm + warm should = treacle (sugar sludge). But that's not what I got. Instead I heard:
  • Unusually neutral & controlled sound for the Aeolus, top to bottom.
  • Still slightly warm, but not as warm as on other, theoretically better amps (such as V281)
  • LC v2 has more than enough power for this 300 ohm headphone--couldn't get the volume past 11:30AM on low gain
  • Overall, the control & neutrality paralleled what I get with the OTL tube amp (Woo WA3), which tends to level out the sound of any/all high impedance headphones
This wasn't the 1st time the LC v2 did this synergy trick. Not only do I love the basic sound signature of this amp & its small but potent form factor--I also like not knowing which headphone(s) it will "lock in" with in unexpected ways.

I've never regretted getting this amp for even a second...

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #2,917 of 2,966
I don't know what thread to post this but since the receiver of my chain is my liquid carbon I will just post here.

I would just like to ask if anyone here knows if this is possible?

20200403_215407.jpg

Unbalanced R/L RCA from Hugo to R/L xlr balanced input of the LC. I used a RCA to XLR cable.

Will it cause any issues on the LC? i.e. Internal circuitry problems, short circuit, etc?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20200403_215407.jpg
    20200403_215407.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #2,918 of 2,966
I don't know if it will be a problem but is unnecessary. The LC has a splitter which will convert unbalanced inputs to balanced output. Go RCA to RCA.

May 3, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #2,920 of 2,966
I am interested in this amp, the drop version, as it is a much cheaper option than Jotunheim and Drop THX AAA. How would a relative warm headphone such as DEnon D7200 and the sharper Sundara sound with it?

I have the said-to-be identical sounding Liquid Carbon V2...it's one of my favorite amps. Perhaps the most intriguing thing about the LC v2 is that it will inpredictably "lock in" & create synergy with this or that headphone I really wouldn't expect to sound good with it (ie, Fidelio X2; Aeolus; Marantz MPH-2; modded HD650). These headphones are all warm to one degree or other, and so is the LC v2. Warm + warm should = surgary/treacle, right? Wrong.

This amp will really surprise you. I would expect it to sound great w/the Sundara, which is pretty sharp. But it may well sound amazing w/the D7200, too. It's that kind of amp.

And for what it's worth, this amp has plenty of power for most headphones; a balanced output (very handy for those of us w/balanced cable); and at least to my ears, no significant disparity in sound quality between SE vs balanced output.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,921 of 2,966
Guys,

My LC v2 suffered from SE channel imbalance for a while. The issue was felt when I used SE input. It seemed to behave in a similar fashion as reported in this thread.
I had no issues going balanced input, driving either SE or BAL headphones.

Today I took apart the unit.
I had to pull off the vol knob and undo all but the SE binding post screw on the back.

To my surprise, I found the pcb covered in Aluminum dust that was created by the self threading screws.
More so near the phase splitter / op amp section close to the SE input side right next to the input selection relays.

I brushed off the board off this metal particulate dust, reassembled and sat down for a listen.

The imbalance is gone !!!
No more LR imbalance or degraded sound.

I was actually trying to locate a bad component on the pcb or locate and swap out the phase splitter components, but all it took was an old tooth brush.

I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Aj

Was it easy to take apart? Can you guide me through the process? Just bought a used LC 2.0 and I might do what you did when it arrives. And also spray DeOxit F5 on the volume pot while I'm at it.

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #2,922 of 2,966
Was it easy to take apart? Can you guide me through the process? Just bought a used LC 2.0 and I might do what you did when it arrives. And also spray DeOxit F5 on the volume pot while I'm at it.
The Chanel imbalance is something to do with the splitter circuit and only felt while using the SE inputs.
I Thought I did but the issue resurfaced.
I settled from using the balanced inputs fed from an affordable dac - the Dac magic plus...

plus the alps pot won’t need deoxit I suppose.

If I remember correctly Pull off the knob for the vol pot.
undo the screws in the front. They are TORX.
Only remove screws in the 4 corners in the back.
I remember the pcb slides out along with either the front panel or the back panel attached.

I don’t remember removing the screw next to the se input post.

Good luck.
Aj

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #2,923 of 2,966
The Chanel imbalance is something to do with the splitter circuit and only felt while using the SE inputs.
I Thought I did but the issue resurfaced.
I settled from using the balanced inputs fed from an affordable dac - the Dac magic plus...

plus the alps pot won’t need deoxit I suppose.

If I remember correctly Pull off the knob for the vol pot.
undo the screws in the front. They are TORX.
Only remove screws in the 4 corners in the back.
I remember the pcb slides out along with either the front panel or the back panel attached.

I don’t remember removing the screw next to the se input post.

Good luck.
Aj

In my case, I had to DeOxit the Alps pot on my Soloist SL. Same problem, channel imbalance and scratchy noise. After spraying, works like a charm for almost 1 year now.

But yeah, I understand that the LC has a splitter circuit unlike my Soloist and that might also be the culprit.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,924 of 2,966
In my case, I had to DeOxit the Alps pot on my Soloist SL. Same problem, channel imbalance and scratchy noise. After spraying, works like a charm for almost 1 year now.
Wow, that’s good to know.
I got one on order to fix old stereo selector switches.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back