Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Feb 23, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #2,881 of 2,966
Audio-Gd has a solid reputation and uses quality components. Check out some of the forums here to get a better idea. I was at a meet where several enthusiasts had Audio-gd gear sprinkled in with other really high end gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #2,882 of 2,966
I'm a big Audio GD fan. Finding their gear has been one key to unlocking the headphone & desktop-audio mystery...

I have 3 AGD components now (DAC-19; NOS 19; and SA-31SE headphone amp); and owned a very powerful/good combo unit (NFB 15.32) at one time.

Their R2R DACs are extremely good, my favorite being the non-oversampling variant of the DAC-19, the NOS 19.

I love my Liquid Carbon v2, can't imagine being without it. But the other essential piece of this puzzle, day to day, is the AGD DAC.

IMO, it's hard to go wrong w/Audio GD.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #2,883 of 2,966
Is that the company Cavalli designated? How was your experience w/them?

Yes, it's the company recommended by Cavalli. My transaction with them went smoothly. I emailed my issue to them, they wrote back with pricing and procedures. I received the serviced amp back within 2 weeks.

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #2,884 of 2,966
20180302_131205.jpg
Just received my Cavalli Liquid Carbon X amp from Massdrop, my first impressions are very good the music is smooth & accurate, warm sounding, also I have no experience with Cavalli's sound signature maybe someone who does can chime in if they own this amp also. I've only been listening for about 45 mins. It is packaged very well, I'm using balanced mode, I'd say if things don't go south with this amp, it's well worth the price. Also to my ears this amp sounds more open with better treble & mids on high gain just turn the volume down a little. After a few days of listening I'll open it up & get some pics of it's innards, It's really a nice looking amp in person. I'll post more thoughts later..enjoy

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #2,885 of 2,966
your initial impressions are right on track IMO. just be sure to burn that baby in...sound can change after 125-150 hrs, though not as much on my LC v2 as on some other amps and/or DACs.

still, 1st listen impressions usually change somewhat over time (almost always for the better in my experience)...

so this has an external P.S. (wall wart?)

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #2,886 of 2,966
I'm still listening I'll say this also the bass from this amp is really good. Yes a wall wart about 3.5-4 inchs long 1.5-2 thick seems ok, it is surprisingly good sound for an inexpensive headamp. Very happy so far with this purchase..enjoy

20180302_131359.jpg

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #2,887 of 2,966
There's an actual LCX thread, but hardly anyone seems to post there. I'm just so stoked that it's shipping and I've a couple of days with it.

I flipping love this amp! The combination of the Mimby and LCX might be too dynamic for the Focal, but the E-MU Teak has never sounded better. I had grown accustomed to how smooth and soft (down low) that driver sounded. Throw all that out the window with the LCX. That almost overly dynamic sound through the Focals has just enough tempering when piped through the biocellulose driver. Bass is tight, and has serious rumble. Mids are rich with body and not as recessed, and the treble peaks are smoothed out. I imagine a ton of Fostex TH-X00 owners will want to buy this amp. I'll have to spend some more time with the Elear and LCX.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #2,888 of 2,966
There's an actual LCX thread, but hardly anyone seems to post there. I'm just so stoked that it's shipping and I've a couple of days with it.

I flipping love this amp! The combination of the Mimby and LCX might be too dynamic for the Focal, but the E-MU Teak has never sounded better. I had grown accustomed to how smooth and soft (down low) that driver sounded. Throw all that out the window with the LCX. That almost overly dynamic sound through the Focals has just enough tempering when piped through the biocellulose driver. Bass is tight, and has serious rumble. Mids are rich with body and not as recessed, and the treble peaks are smoothed out. I imagine a ton of Fostex TH-X00 owners will want to buy this amp. I'll have to spend some more time with the Elear and LCX.

I had the E-Mu Teaks--fascinating, great-sounding, but not very comfortable headphones--sold them a few months ago. I got the flat-out best sound out of them w/my Liquid Carbon v2. That surprised me, since a warm-ish amp like the LC + a warm-ish HP like the Teaks should = maple syrup. Not even close. The bass hit like a sledge hammer (the Teaks have world-class bass), but the rest of the frequency range was even more organic/smooth than usual.

I'm watching these comments about the LC-X w/great interest. I may pick one up sooner or later just to ensure that I'll never be w/o an LC (ie, if my original LC blows up or gets abducted by aliens, I'll have the LD-X).

LC is a must-have amp.

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #2,891 of 2,966
I agree my AFO + LCX make an awesome pair, I'm using all balanced mode from my DAC 10, this amp is great..enjoy

Mar 5, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #2,892 of 2,966
I noticed there's SE pass through on the back. I was wondering if this output is always on, as in its always active even when the unit is powered off or when headphones are plugged in.

Any Liquid Carbon X owners that can confirm this for me?

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2,893 of 2,966
I noticed there's SE pass through on the back. I was wondering if this output is always on, as in its always active even when the unit is powered off or when headphones are plugged in.

Any Liquid Carbon X owners that can confirm this for me?

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, or in the LCX specific thread, that the LCX must be powered on for the SE Pass to function properly.

-Mark in St. Louis

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #2,894 of 2,966
@Pharmaboy Too bad the Teaks didn't work out for you. I have no problem with the comfort level of the pads. In fact, they're one of my most comfortable headphones, with little clamping pressure or weight. The only ergonomics that get in the way is how far out the connectors stick out. If I nod off while wearing them and lean off to one side, I can actually bend the cable connector plug by pushing it into my shoulder.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #2,895 of 2,966
@Pharmaboy Too bad the Teaks didn't work out for you. I have no problem with the comfort level of the pads. In fact, they're one of my most comfortable headphones, with little clamping pressure or weight. The only ergonomics that get in the way is how far out the connectors stick out. If I nod off while wearing them and lean off to one side, I can actually bend the cable connector plug by pushing it into my shoulder.

I know what you mean about that connector...it was kind of hazardous, as described. I'd much rather see 3.5mm jacks than 2.5mm jacks--and ideally they'll be located somewhat forward of the very bottom of each earcup, if not also overtly angled forward.

I have regrets about the E-Mu Teak. The only real reason I considered selling was comfort, which I just couldn't improve by padrolling w/o hurting that terrific sound (though there were a few el cheapo pad tricks left to try).

The sound of those Teaks w/my Liquid Carbon was really spectacular. Not endgame, not really better than my ZMF Ori, definitely not better than the Eikon (which I've heard extensively & am very impressed by). Still, at its price point, it's hard to beat the Teaks. BTW, I listened to them only via balanced cables, which may have had something to do w/that excellent sound I was getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back