Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jan 24, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,851 of 2,966
I saw that as well it sure sounds like it'll be nice have to wait & see what the price will be, Balanced for me is the only way to go. I ordered the LCX should have that amp early March & they say it has the Cavalli sound I'll be happy. I'd say you'd be happy with that purchase but wait & see what others say..enjoy

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2,852 of 2,966
I saw that as well it sure sounds like it'll be nice have to wait & see what the price will be, Balanced for me is the only way to go. I ordered the LCX should have that amp early March & they say it has the Cavalli sound I'll be happy. I'd say you'd be happy with that purchase but wait & see what others say..enjoy
$379.99 with free US shipping and subsidized international shipping.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #2,853 of 2,966
Wow very cool I'd say that sounds like a deal, I may just have to get one for family member..

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #2,855 of 2,966
how would the Liquid Carbon X + SDAC compare to the Jotunheim + DAC? I understand it's $380 compared to $500 but at this point I'm more just looking for a bottom line performer

Also curious about this because the Liquid Carbon as an AMp is better then the Audeze Deckard... atleast that would be my guess. I would think as an Amp it is better then the Jotunheim. Not sure about the Grace Dac though. I am really interested in this drop to replace my Audeze Deckard.

Can anyone weigh in on this that has experience with the LC amp and Grace DAC?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdr...leCampaignId=233692&iterableTemplateId=333094

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #2,856 of 2,966
Also curious about this because the Liquid Carbon as an AMp is better then the Audeze Deckard... atleast that would be my guess. I would think as an Amp it is better then the Jotunheim. Not sure about the Grace Dac though. I am really interested in this drop to replace my Audeze Deckard.

Can anyone weigh in on this that has experience with the LC amp and Grace DAC?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-liquid-carbon-x-sdac-dac-amp?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ccu_Massdrop_Liquid_Carbon_X_SDAC_DAC/Amp&referer=GW9EEL&mode=guest_open&iterableCampaignId=233692&iterableTemplateId=333094
I have the Schiit Jot, and I auditioned the Cavalli LC 2.0 several times.
The Jot is more powerful. I do not think anyone would argue that.
As for sound signature - I personally preferred the LC over Jot. In a sentence, I would say that Jot is more detailed and analytical, whereas Cavalli is more musical, smooth and fun. So, it is down to personal sound signature preference.

Just my 2 cents :wink:

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #2,857 of 2,966
I have the Schiit Jot, and I auditioned the Cavalli LC 2.0 several times.
The Jot is more powerful. I do not think anyone would argue that.
As for sound signature - I personally preferred the LC over Jot. In a sentence, I would say that Jot is more detailed and analytical, whereas Cavalli is more musical, smooth and fun. So, it is down to personal sound signature preference.

Just my 2 cents :wink:
Difference between the LC 2.0 vs this LC X mass drop?

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2,858 of 2,966
Difference between the LC 2.0 vs this LC X mass drop?
I have not seen ANY impressions by anyone on LCX. The premise (and promise) is they sound the same (based on that - I did join the drop).
Some people even speculated that due to the external power supply (in LCX) - it might sound a bit better (less noise).

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #2,859 of 2,966
I have LC2 for a while now, it is fine amp but was not happy with constant defects. First volume pot and second time it was fried chip.

Had to send for repair both times, and cavalliwas good to respond. Since they are now shut down, worried what happens on my next defect if any. Anyways, i also like Jot but recently i bought Luxman DA-150 and Lehman audio Linear SE. Man this combination is a killer.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #2,860 of 2,966
how would the Liquid Carbon X + SDAC compare to the Jotunheim + DAC? I understand it's $380 compared to $500 but at this point I'm more just looking for a bottom line performer
It really depends on what you need.
My personal option:
Function:Jot> LCX, Jot has very nice balanced output, which is really nice to have under 1000, also to mention if you own a jbl slr 305, it is somekind of pain to find balanced input(even you don't have to), I end up get a DAC, and schitt sys as a preamp.
DAC: Jot>= LCX, I never try sdac, but it is still one of the best budge dac, but jot has a Dual AK4490 which make it really awesome, but the price will go up to 499.
AMP:LCX>>Jot, it really depends on what kind of headphone you use, but I think overall LC is the best under 1000 amp
So it really depends on what you want, if you want a simple good computer console, choose Jot, if you already have gear, you just want to upgrade your headphone amp, choose LCX.
Both in my mind are all perfect. since I have my own dac and I want a just good headphone amp, so I choose LCX. But this is for me, cause I have already set up my speakers, Jot will have a cleaner look on your desk(my desk is a mess right now because all the wires I have.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2,861 of 2,966
From what I'm hearing, although the LCX is a very nice amp, it isn't clearly the option to pick over others like the Schiit stack or the original iFI micro iDSD, particularly since it carries almost a $200 premium, and particularly if one would see the LCX as having to be the endgame, and the other options might allow for upgrading down the line. (For example - start with the iFi micro iDSD, and consider adding a tube amp at some point.)

Would that sound right? Or should I still seriously consider the LCX?

This is for use with the HD6xx, for someone new to the audio game (have been using unamped ATH 50x for about 2 years now, first pair of solid headphones.)

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2,862 of 2,966
I have the LC v2; never heard Jot or LD-X w/SDAC. However, I have 3-4 other SS amps and have done many comparisons between the LC and them (ie, V281; Audio GD SA-31SE; Lake People G109-A). A few points based on experience:
  1. IMO the bigger question here is what your sonic tastes/preferences are & how the LC/LD-X design would work for you (& your headphones):
    • The LC & LD-X should sound identical or very close to it. They're based on the same exact circuit, though Cavalli is out of the biz now and Massdrop is very much in the game; also the P.S. may be better on the LD-X, as noted above
    • The LC is not an "uncolored" amp. It's clearly on the warm side, does soundstaging quite well, and has great bass; many consider it "tube-like" (though the bass is anything but tube-like). Anyway, I love the LC precisely because these "colorations" play to my preferences, also work so well with every headphone I've tried on them (ZMF Ori & Eikon; Fidelio X2; E-Mu Teak; Focal Elear; Sony MDR Z7)
  2. Talk about colorations misses a key fact about the LC: it has the ability to "lock in" w/a given headphone to produce better synergy & sound than any other amp. Often the headphone in question is, itself, rather warm & bass--so you'd think, "That combination must sound like lukewarm maple syrup." Wrong--it sounds amazing. I got the best sound ever out of my X2s and E-Mu Teaks on the LC.
By contrast, the Jot is often described as "detailed/accurate" -- or "bright/relentless," depending who's writing the comments. That sound signature is really not for me, so I never tried one. But people have very different sonic preferences: for many, Jot is best-in-class, a sonic dream come true, and the LC/LD-X would be atrocious.

It all comes back to knowing who your sonic self is, and acting accordingly...

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #2,863 of 2,966
This might be a long shot... But are there online EQ testing places where one can start getting a feel for which sound signature one might prefer? Obviously would not compare to comparing real equipment, but just to give one a starting point?

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #2,864 of 2,966
The LCX won't ship until 2/28/18..I'll let you all know what I think when I get my hands on it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back