Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Aug 12, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #2,897 of 2,966
I'm coming from a Schiit Vali 2 with Modi Multibit and looking at getting a Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Liquid Carbon to pair with HiFiMan He-4xx and Audeze LCD2C, wondering if anyone here had gone a similar route and can comment on the sonic differences please? Thanks!

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2,898 of 2,966
e
I'm coming from a Schiit Vali 2 with Modi Multibit and looking at getting a Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Liquid Carbon to pair with HiFiMan He-4xx and Audeze LCD2C, wondering if anyone here had gone a similar route and can comment on the sonic differences please? Thanks!

I have a Liquid Carbon (the first Cavalli version) and a Vali 2 and going from memory since I haven't used the Vali 2 for a while I would say that the LC has a more lifelike, liquid midrange and a cleaner, more refined treble. It's been a while since I compared them so YMMV.

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,901 of 2,966

My LC v2 and Cord 2Qute replaced my Vali 2 and Modi Multi as my computer headphone system. system. I was very happy with the Schiit equipment, but decided to branch out and was very surprised how good the LC sounded with the Modimulti. I then decided to find out about Cord and decided on adding the 2Qute. This is such a nice combo, some might say end game. Check out my Sig to see what I had to get to better it for my main system.

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #2,902 of 2,966
I've heard my LC v2 only with multibit DACs: in main system it's the Audio GD NOS 19 (non-oversampling multibit); and in secondary systems it's AGD DAC-19. The sound is very engaging, better than any delta-sigma DAC I'd heard previously.

People make a big deal about presumed tonality, calling multibit (and especially NOS multibit), "warm" "rolled off" "slow" and other simplistic characterizations. They say pretty much the same thing about the LC itself.

I find that combining multibit w/the LC does not result in addition of these presumed sound signatures. Reality is not nearly that simple. If I used high resolution headphones on this combo, I get high resolution sound. If I use "warm" headphones, I may or may not get a warm resulting presentation. What I don't get is brash, bright, 2-dimensional, spotlighted, or hyped sound.

It's best of all w/NOS 19 in the chain, and nearly as good w/DAC-19.

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #2,903 of 2,966
Guys,

My LC v2 suffered from SE channel imbalance for a while. The issue was felt when I used SE input. It seemed to behave in a similar fashion as reported in this thread.
I had no issues going balanced input, driving either SE or BAL headphones.

Today I took apart the unit.
I had to pull off the vol knob and undo all but the SE binding post screw on the back.

To my surprise, I found the pcb covered in Aluminum dust that was created by the self threading screws.
More so near the phase splitter / op amp section close to the SE input side right next to the input selection relays.

I brushed off the board off this metal particulate dust, reassembled and sat down for a listen.

The imbalance is gone !!!
No more LR imbalance or degraded sound.

I was actually trying to locate a bad component on the pcb or locate and swap out the phase splitter components, but all it took was an old tooth brush.

I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Aj

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #2,905 of 2,966
Guys,

My LC v2 suffered from SE channel imbalance for a while. The issue was felt when I used SE input. It seemed to behave in a similar fashion as reported in this thread.

I had to pull off the vol knob and undo all but the SE binding post screw on the back.

To my surprise, I found the pcb covered in Aluminum dust that was created by the self threading screws.
More so near the phase splitter / op amp section close to the SE input side right next to the input selection relays.

I brushed off the board off this metal particulate dust, reassembled and sat down for a listen.

I was actually trying to locate a bad component on the pcb or locate and swap out the phase splitter components, but all it took was an old tooth brush.

Aj

No wonder there were so many failures.

Aug 8, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #2,906 of 2,966
Guys,

Aj
I’m definitely interested in pics! I just might do the same to my LC v2 for peace of mind sake.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #2,907 of 2,966
Hi,

I had my LC v2 act up again with imbalance.
I switch back n forth between BAL and SE all the time.
Toggling the SE / Bal push switch seems to fix the issue. I guess I still haven’t got to the bottom of this.

Picture of ten SE input components that will need cleaning attached. This area front and back are prone to a lot of Aluminum dust.

I took this pic after I cleaned the board.

Aj

Attachments

• F85AEC52-C88C-4828-B446-EDA8BEC343C3.jpeg
    F85AEC52-C88C-4828-B446-EDA8BEC343C3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 9, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,908 of 2,966
Hi,

I had my LC v2 act up again with imbalance.
I switch back n forth between BAL and SE all the time.
Toggling the SE / Bal push switch seems to fix the issue. I guess I still haven’t got to the bottom of this.

Picture of ten SE input components that will need cleaning attached. This area front and back are prone to a lot of Aluminum dust.

I took this pic after I cleaned the board.

Aj

So... errrr....where are the pics?

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #2,910 of 2,966
Great! Just great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back