Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Sep 11, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #2,569 of 2,966
Yeah, first thing I thought was.... Alex had my money for a good while, I was patient with the delays, now my resale value is pretty well shot.
BUT, Alex does absolutely need to do what is good for his business. Of course the good side of this is that many more people will be ale to enjoy the Cavalli sound at a very reasonable price.

One thing I did not see was the warranty. I would think that the lifetime warranty is worth quite a bit. If that makes anyone feel any better...

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #2,570 of 2,966
This is what making something in China vs the U.S. does. The Chinese one will probably be more reliable too unfortunately.
Did you see something saying that the X is being made in China?

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #2,572 of 2,966
I checked.
1 Year warranty. That is certainly a big difference right there.

Almost 500 requests so far.... <SIGH>

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #2,574 of 2,966
That is the claim. Go to MD and check the discussion. First post. They moved the power supply outboard (probably cheaper), removed the RSA out and the 3.5 mm input, added a set of RCA outs on the back. They mention sourcing a better pot for the volume control as well.
Who know, the power supply change may make a difference in the sound, For better or for worse...

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #2,575 of 2,966
It strikes me even more as a v1 owner that it seems to also include v2 mods of the power supply and the hiss fix in the description ..

But strange enough, it is a very obvious thing that they must have thought about, may be its different in some way or they just thought whatever ..

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #2,576 of 2,966
The claim is that it has "the same topology" and different power supply and input/output jacks.
If Cavalli claimed that they had to increase the price of the LC2 VS 1 because it was not sustainable, how can the X be sustainable if it has the same exact components in an ever bigger enclosure?

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,577 of 2,966
The claim is that it has "the same topology" and different power supply and input/output jacks.
If Cavalli claimed that they had to increase the price of the LC2 VS 1 because it was not sustainable, how can the X be sustainable if it has the same exact components in an ever bigger enclosure?

Probably because they're now on Massdrop and they hope to get a lot more money up front before even shipping anything.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2,578 of 2,966

If it is truly made in China, there is your answer. That and the fact that the design and parts qualification has all been done and paid for.

I wonder if they are really going to use the same quality parts. I remember Alex struggling to get many parts and boards made to his standards... and yes there is the problem with the volume control that he had issues with.

Massdrop does say that they are using their manufacturing and supply chain. If they plan on building lots of these, economy of scale will play a part as well.

The more that I read, the more that I think they just bought the design, and paid to use his name on the thing. Who knows, at this point, whether it will really sound the same.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2,580 of 2,966
I am sure not holding my breath on that.... but an LAU clone for half price would be something I would definitely look seriously at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back