Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jul 3, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,536 of 2,966
Jul 3, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #2,537 of 2,966
If you do not mind please share your suggestions of any balanced cables you have good experienced with. My LC is the first generation.

Sure. My balanced cable is by Forza Audio Works. I gave impressions about it on a different thread: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/forza-audioworks-impressions-thread.661441/page-106#post-13477917

(it's post #1577)

Don't want to get in trouble for cross-posting...but also don't want to rewrite everything I said in that post, if I can avoid it.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,538 of 2,966
I understand that the single ended output has less power but are there any other downsides to using the SE output? [besides balanced cabling advantages].

I use the SE output sparingly (if at all) due to the likelihood of channel imbalance over time as only one amp is used in SE output. I use other amps for SE output for peace of mind.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #2,539 of 2,966
I use the SE output sparingly (if at all) due to the likelihood of channel imbalance over time as only one amp is used in SE output. I use other amps for SE output for peace of mind.

Really an excellent point, especially because some users reported channel imbalance, especially in the 1st version.

Another/related point: I burned in the LC for 100+ hrs using balanced output only. The sound did get better in slight but meaningful ways over that time, plus (though I may be kidding myself) I felt like any risk of using SE output might be mitigated after this type of burnin.

Regardless, it's a fine sounding amp.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2,543 of 2,966
Curious if Cavalli Audio still services the Carbon? Mine has been acting up lately... some weird channel imbalance whenever I switch from 4pin XLR to SE.

I recently had the same channel imbalance on single ended use, Cavalli serviced it. I do have a v1.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,545 of 2,966
Hi,

As balanced output is the recommended option, can somebody please recommend a headphone that I can run balanced that is not too expensive. Im running a MacBook Pro to Berkeley alpha USB to Schiit Gumby to liquid carbon. I have a speaker setup for my main listening. This will just be for late night listening. I've considered the DT 990 which I think has to be modded for balanced use. But I've been put off by people's evaluation of a sharp treble. Any suggestions?

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,546 of 2,966
Hi,

As balanced output is the recommended option, can somebody please recommend a headphone that I can run balanced that is not too expensive. Im running a MacBook Pro to Berkeley alpha USB to Schiit Gumby to liquid carbon. I have a speaker setup for my main listening. This will just be for late night listening. I've considered the DT 990 which I think has to be modded for balanced use. But I've been put off by people's evaluation of a sharp treble. Any suggestions?
HD600, Hifiman HE400i

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,547 of 2,966
Hi,

HD 600/650 is a common choice. It is easy to unplug the stock cable and replace it by a 4 pins XLR balanced cable. You find some decent china made under $100

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #2,549 of 2,966
I am kinda curious if anyone have tried a/b audio heron 5 with LC

HD800 pairing with heron 5 is warm with huge soundstage. But, coming from LC, it is pretty decent. Comparing to LC size, the heron 5 is huge and heavy. I am still amazed how Alex Cavalli pack those unbelivable sounds in that small and light box.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2,550 of 2,966
I quickly discovered that the Liquid Carbon is an essential audio tool in my desktop system. It sound wonderful (in different way) with every headphone I own. The sound it makes on several has to be called a revelation (for example, it lit up my Fidelio X2s like a big Hollywood spotlight--but best sound I've ever heard from this headphone).

Last week I had the experience of burning in a new E-Mu Teak on my LC. The Teaks sounded a little ragged at first; after 125 hours, they sound distinctly better (they're very interesting headphones)--and through them, I again hear the unmistakable sonic virtues of the LC: top to bottom coherence + an organic quality; slight warmth that doesn't amount to coloration; excellent soundstaging (it will bring out whatever a headphone can do in that area); and the 2nd best bass I've heard from a headphone amp (the best being the V281).

This unobtrusive/unimpressive-looking little box has become totally essential to my "headphone experience." It was only with enormous self-control that I resisted the current Massdrop Cavalli drop (I have too many amps already!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back