Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Aug 18, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,551 of 2,966
I quickly discovered that the Liquid Carbon is an essential audio tool in my desktop system. It sound wonderful (in different way) with every headphone I own. The sound it makes on several has to be called a revelation (for example, it lit up my Fidelio X2s like a big Hollywood spotlight--but best sound I've ever heard from this headphone).

Last week I had the experience of burning in a new E-Mu Teak on my LC. The Teaks sounded a little ragged at first; after 125 hours, they sound distinctly better (they're very interesting headphones)--and through them, I again hear the unmistakable sonic virtues of the LC: top to bottom coherence + an organic quality; slight warmth that doesn't amount to coloration; excellent soundstaging (it will bring out whatever a headphone can do in that area); and the 2nd best bass I've heard from a headphone amp (the best being the V281).

This unobtrusive/unimpressive-looking little box has become totally essential to my "headphone experience." It was only with enormous self-control that I resisted the current Massdrop Cavalli drop (I have too many amps already!).
Fidelio X2 run from SE out on LC ?

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #2,552 of 2,966
Yep. I tried this combination almost out of boredom ("let's try this little experiment), but had no expectation it would sound good. After all, pair a somewhat warm, expansive headphone w/a somewhat warm, expansive amp...it should sound like over-sugary oatmeal, right?

Wrong. The sound knocked my socks off. One of the more pleasant audio surprises of recent years. In fact, it got me listening to the X2s far more often, posting about them, even pad rolling on them (all this after the X2s had been shoved into the background by other headphones, at least for a time).

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2,553 of 2,966
Yep. I tried this combination almost out of boredom ("let's try this little experiment), but had no expectation it would sound good. After all, pair a somewhat warm, expansive headphone w/a somewhat warm, expansive amp...it should sound like over-sugary oatmeal, right?

Wrong. The sound knocked my socks off. One of the more pleasant audio surprises of recent years. In fact, it got me listening to the X2s far more often, posting about them, even pad rolling on them (all this after the X2s had been shoved into the background by other headphones, at least for a time).
Interesting. I am gonna try the combo today. Thanks for the find !

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #2,558 of 2,966
Not sure about power but I've read that G2 have a cleaner SE.

Here is how Cavalli Audio explained the changes in Gen 2 vs Gen 1:

"This final run of Carbons will feature a 2nd generation power supply, which has been designed specifically to reduce noise from the single-ended output. Of course, we highly suggest that you run your Liquid Carbons with balanced output to get the most out of it, but we’re doing what we can to improve the SE output anyway… for those times when you just don’t have the appropriate balanced cable on-hand. See, that’s a good surprise right?

Oh BTW, we’re also including rubber feet this time around! I know, it’s only rubber feet… not exactly a big deal… but since you guys asked for them, we’re including them."​

Comments in this thread imply some users had channel imbalance issues w/Gen 1, possibly related to the phase splitter: this issue was corrected & the power supply improved, in Gen 2.

I have used my Gen 3 (purchased in the 3rd and apparently final production run, ~5 months ago, for both SE & balanced, but mostly balanced. The sound is amazingly good both ways, but subtly better via balanced, in the ways one would expect (slightly more spacious soundstaging; occasionally a slight benefit in bass, very headphone-dependent).

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #2,560 of 2,966
Thank you for the replies. Looks like I'm better off just paying a bit more for a Gen2

I tried to get one used, but at the time I was looking, the only ones F.S. were just a few Gen 1 units. If I'd known the seller(s), maybe I would have approached it differently.

Beyond that, the prices were nuts: ~$700 + shipping & Paypal. At the time, new Gen 2 units were still being sold, which made the choice easy--get a warranty + brand new for $799 + shipping.

Aug 18, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #2,561 of 2,966
Here is how Cavalli Audio explained the changes in Gen 2 vs Gen 1:

"This final run of Carbons will feature a 2nd generation power supply, which has been designed specifically to reduce noise from the single-ended output. Of course, we highly suggest that you run your Liquid Carbons with balanced output to get the most out of it, but we’re doing what we can to improve the SE output anyway… for those times when you just don’t have the appropriate balanced cable on-hand. See, that’s a good surprise right?

Oh BTW, we’re also including rubber feet this time around! I know, it’s only rubber feet… not exactly a big deal… but since you guys asked for them, we’re including them."​

Comments in this thread imply some users had channel imbalance issues w/Gen 1, possibly related to the phase splitter: this issue was corrected & the power supply improved, in Gen 2.

I have used my Gen 3 (purchased in the 3rd and apparently final production run, ~5 months ago, for both SE & balanced, but mostly balanced. The sound is amazingly good both ways, but subtly better via balanced, in the ways one would expect (slightly more spacious soundstaging; occasionally a slight benefit in bass, very headphone-dependent).
The word Gen 3 makes my stomach grumble. What Gen 3? I thought there were only 2 gens. Is there a link to Gen 3 discussion

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2,562 of 2,966
The word Gen 3 makes my stomach grumble. What Gen 3? I thought there were only 2 gens. Is there a link to Gen 3 discussion

Sorry--typo. There only are 2 generations, 1 & 2.

Gen 2 was sold by Cavalli in 2 separate offerings, so it gets a little confusing.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #2,563 of 2,966
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #2,564 of 2,966
So folks who supported the product before it was released have basically been screwed.

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #2,565 of 2,966
I feel VERY, VERY cheated at the moment. I enjoy my LC 2.0 but seeing what I can get one new for makes it sound rather sour at the moment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back