Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jan 13, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,309 of 2,966
His signature does say "Forza Noir Hybrid 4pin XLR"..........

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #1,310 of 2,966

I run them balanced.

I also run my Alpha Primes fully balanced, but I only need 1x gain with volume from 11-1 o'clock. This might be completely wrong and stupid of me but on your picture your Input Selector is set to Red which means you're running SE input according to the manual. Could that be the reason for you having to use the LC on 3x gain for Alpha Primes while I don't?

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #1,311 of 2,966
  what is the best way to burn the LC in ......can you just leave it on o do you have to be playing music through it?

This is detailed in the manual.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #1,312 of 2,966
  I also run my Alpha Primes fully balanced, but I only need 1x gain with volume from 11-1 o'clock. This might be completely wrong and stupid of me but on your picture your Input Selector is set to Red which means you're running SE input according to the manual. Could that be the reason for you having to use the LC on 3x gain for Alpha Primes while I don't?

The silver device on the right looks like an iFi Micro (or one of iFi's similar sized products).  If that's being used as the DAC, pretty sure SE input is the only option with the Micro.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #1,313 of 2,966

what is the best way to burn the LC in ......can you just leave it on o do you have to be playing music through it?

This is detailed in the manual.

Yes, the manual states 150 hours of continuous music for burn in.  I think everyone here would agree that if you're going to do the 150 hour continuous burn in, play music.  

However, otherwise you'll get a variety of opinions about burn in.  Some will say burn in doesn't help.  Some will say it doesn't have to be continuous.  Perhaps the biggest differences of opinion is that the manual states "we recommend that you disconnect your headphones when not listening during this break-in period," whereas others say its better to have headphones connected the whole time and the Cavalli recommendation is in the manual because theres a very slight risk that something could go haywire during burnin and you wouldnt hear it and your headphones could get damaged.. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #1,314 of 2,966
Headphones connected or not will make no difference to the amp burning in.  It still receives the same sound that puts a smile on your face when you are listening!  
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #1,315 of 2,966

Yes, the manual states 150 hours of continuous music for burn in.  I think everyone here would agree that if you're going to do the 150 hour continuous burn in, play music.  

However, otherwise you'll get a variety of opinions about burn in.  Some will say burn in doesn't help.  Some will say it doesn't have to be continuous.  Perhaps the biggest differences of opinion is that the manual states "we recommend that you disconnect your headphones when not listening during this break-in period," whereas others say its better to have headphones connected the whole time and the Cavalli recommendation is in the manual because theres a very slight risk that something could go haywire during burnin and you wouldnt hear it and your headphones could get damaged.. 

What i did was:

1. Connect Ipod to se input of LC.
2. Play music (whole album on loop).
3. Turn on LC (on no gain and at 11 o'clock volume position).
4. Placed a fan directed to it to prevent overheating.
5. Check on it from time to time until 150th hour.

Every time i get home, I listen to it using my balanced cables and when I'm done i just disconnect it and resume burn in.  

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #1,317 of 2,966
I did similar. MacBook Air, full iTunes playlist on repeat, high gain 12:00, no fan, no headphones. Worked fine. Listen when you want during the process.

I'm sure it sounds great, but still wondering about this post, which indicates with balanced headphones is better:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/761088/new-cavalli-audios-liquid-carbon-a-599-cavalli-amp/3990#post_12084148

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #1,318 of 2,966

No I don't think so. Many have compared SE vs XLR inputs before and haven't noticed any significant differences on the output. Also as coastal1 said, i am using ifi Micro idsd as a DAC, so the SE input is my only option.

Nice rig and a gorgeous cable on those Alpha Primes!

Thanks buddy.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #1,319 of 2,966

No I don't think so. Many have compared SE vs XLR inputs before and haven't noticed any significant differences on the output. Also as coastal1 said, i am using ifi Micro idsd as a DAC, so the SE input is my only option.

Nice rig and a gorgeous cable on those Alpha Primes!

Thanks buddy.

I myself have huge difference between SE/XLR with my Benchmark, I'm guessing a 6dB difference. In SE it's 2 volts, XLR 4 volts output. I think it depends on the DAC.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #1,320 of 2,966
  I asked about this grounding issue some time back on trying to make a RSA 4 pin to dual XLR adapter and was pointed to this website for reference:

http://pin1problem.com

All that stuff is beyond what I can understand but maybe it will help you guys figure out where the issue may be.

This would explain a lot. If either the DAC end, or the LC end has a jack that does not tie pin 1 to chassis ground, then providing that ground by using the RCA SE connections would likely be a solution to hum and noise in many situations. Perhaps Alex could tell us how the jack on the LC is wired ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back