Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jan 15, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,336 of 2,966
Well, my listening impressions will be delayed for a couple weeks. The volume pot on my LC has stopped working and I am stuck at a fixed volume level on both SE and Balanced. Will need repair. In my brief listening so far, it's very much what I remember from my first listening session at the SF Meet. Neutral sound signature with very clean and dynamic presentation.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,337 of 2,966
My LC arrived at a point when I was about to leave town for about 3 weeks away, so I have not had time to really test-drive it, talk less of performing the recommended 150-hour burn-in ritual.  However, out of the box, and paired with an Emotiva DC-1 DAC, I tried my Sennheiser HD700 on it and WOW!, what a revelation!  I have never heard this much-maligned, and to my mind, highly "misunderstood" pair of cans, sound this gracious, beautiful and non-fatiguing.  In short, the LC has cured my "love-hate" relationship with the HD700 within minutes of their encounter, although I am also persuaded that it is much, much, more than a mere "HD700 whisperer."

By the way, I also tested it briefly in the same chain with my Hifiman He-500, and while the combination sounded decently good, I did not experience the same "WOW"! sentiment as I did with the HD-700, but that might simply be because the He-500 already sounds great in all my other rigs and with almost every genre of music  I have thrown at it, so I wasn't expecting any surprises...

There is more to come, of course (including the 150-hour burn in ritual and its aftermath), but I thought I should just chronicle this story of the first encounter between the LC and the HD700, a match made in musical nirvana, if there were ever such a place
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #1,338 of 2,966
Thanks. Not being an EE, can you give an example of how this would impact the source at 1x? My dac signal comes in, say at 2v RMS, and some dynamic passage of music with my headphone combo needs more, say 3v, to sound right. Does 1x do anything to help in that case?

I am no expert on analogue circuit design but my understanding is that the DAC's high impedance output would prevent it providing the dynamic current change to drive your headphones.

The unity gain amplifier provides the same voltage as the DAC, but has a low impedance output and a power supply that is capable of delivering rapid changes in power to provide the dynamic performance that makes our headphones sound sweet.

If that's not right I hope someone will correct me. It's a number of decades since I briefly studied analogue electronics.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #1,339 of 2,966
  Well, my listening impressions will be delayed for a couple weeks. The volume pot on my LC has stopped working and I am stuck at a fixed volume level on both SE and Balanced. Will need repair. In my brief listening so far, it's very much what I remember from my first listening session at the SF Meet. Neutral sound signature with very clean and dynamic presentation.

The volume pot appears to be a weak point ... I think it's been implicated in the channel imbalance problems that some other users have had. 

I hope you get the repair sorted out quickly.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #1,341 of 2,966

The volume pot appears to be a weak point ... I think it's been implicated in the channel imbalance problems that some other users have had. 

I hope you get the repair sorted out quickly.

Thanks! As expected, I got an immediate response from Cavalli Audio and will get this fixed shortly.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,342 of 2,966
my LC arrived and has to go back for repairs.......seems to be the channel balance issue.......rather disappointing....hopefully it will be taken care

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,343 of 2,966
I am no expert on analogue circuit design but my understanding is that the DAC's high impedance output would prevent it providing the dynamic current change to drive your headphones.

The unity gain amplifier provides the same voltage as the DAC, but has a low impedance output and a power supply that is capable of delivering rapid changes in power to provide the dynamic performance that makes our headphones sound sweet.

If that's not right I hope someone will correct me. It's a number of decades since I briefly studied analogue electronics.

That is one general benefit, I understand. In my specific case, the Mojo has a 0.075 ohm output impedance. Would like to get more info so as to more fully understand what the amp is doing and how best to pair it. Of course, it also just sounds great!

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,344 of 2,966

Does anyone notice a change in resistance when you turn the pot ...

Well that is what it's for 
wink_face.gif

Sorry, just trying to be smart, I knew you meant physical resistance. Don't notice anything like this on mine. Where it does happen it's normally just a slight misalignment of the control knob. I suspect that the problem amps have a more fundamental quality problem within the pot. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,345 of 2,966
That is one general benefit, I understand. In my specific case, the Mojo has a 0.075 ohm output impedance. Would like to get more info so as to more fully understand what the amp is doing and how best to pair it. Of course, it also just sounds great!

Ah yes ... from the very little I've read I understand that the Mojo has a unique output taken directly from the FPGA chip that does all the magic. I'm really surprised that it can do this without an analogue amplifier / buffer stage, but my knowledge in this area is so out of date as to be practically non-existent. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #1,346 of 2,966
Originally Posted by BDM-Fi 

Does anyone notice a change in resistance when you turn the pot ...

Originally Posted by Peridot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink_face.gif

'effin brilliant! Almost spit out my TexMex here at DFW when I read this. Well played

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,347 of 2,966

wink_face.gif

Sorry, just trying to be smart, I knew you meant physical resistance. Don't notice anything like this on mine. Where it does happen it's normally just a slight misalignment of the control knob. I suspect that the problem amps have a more fundamental quality problem within the pot. 

I have a couple of amps where heat is a contributing factor. But in those cases, the pot becomes easier to turn as the amp warms up.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,348 of 2,966

Your DAC output impedance and current drive have little bearing on the amp's output since the LC and all amps have input impedances in the 10K+ ohm range. Whatever differences you are hearing between 1X and 3X output on LC is 100% due to the LC itself.

As for Mojo, it's headphone out and line out use the same circuit straight from the FPGA so it is basically a line out with a voltage control for volume levels.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,349 of 2,966

wink_face.gif

Haha, I actually had no idea that he meant physical resistance so I was kind of confused that it only started changing at 11:00.  lol

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,350 of 2,966
Anyone still have their Gustard H10 and their LC?
Would love some comparisons. I no longer have the H10 to compare but there seems to be some who have listened to both and found the H10 to have better mids and soundstage and LC too thin and bright. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back