Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jan 7, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,142 of 2,966
I apologize if this has been mentioned already. I just picked up a bimby and bflat said to never turn it off. The question is should I leave the LC on as well? I usually don't listen daily. Maybe every third day for 2-3 hours at a time. Or when I'm traveling not for a week or 2 at all.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,143 of 2,966
I apologize if this has been mentioned already. I just picked up a bimby and bflat said to never turn it off. The question is should I leave the LC on as well? I usually don't listen daily. Maybe every third day for 2-3 hours at a time. Or when I'm traveling not for a week or 2 at all.

You can turn both of them off whenever you want.  The BMB is no Yggy and doesn't need anywhere near the warmup time.  The LC needs no warm up time.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,144 of 2,966

i seem to have a slight channel imbalance issue, but i can't decipher if it's a the sound stage or a real channel imbalance... 

This might help - http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php

Right side seems slightly louder, but really just slightly. 

When "central channel" plays, it seems to even out. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #1,145 of 2,966

i seem to have a slight channel imbalance issue, but i can't decipher if it's a the sound stage or a real channel imbalance... 

It could also be possible that your prior system was slightly balanced on the left side. For minor imbalance, I've found the brain will adjust to bring back to center. I would test again after several days on your new system. This happens to me when switching back and forth on IEMs. I stick to one long enough and I can't hear the imbalance anymore. By slight, I mean under 3 dB difference. Imaging wise I would say sound is centered on left or right side of my nose instead of dead center. Very slight.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #1,146 of 2,966
I and a couple other folks have had this issue (channel imbalance and distortion). Mine started after about 75 hours of burn in. So, if for nothing else but testing, I recommend the burn in period!

I emailed Cavalli support and Alex responded promptly and had me ship the amp back. He replaced the board and shipped it back (all between Christmas and New Years, so great service). I am burning it in now, and so far (36 hours in) still sounds great!

Support@CavalliAudio.com

Good luck!

I've emailed cavalli as well. Let's see.

I sent an email to Cavalli Audio explaining the problem. I'll just quote it here.

I'm facing the exact same problem. Would be interested to know how it is resolved. Please keep us posted.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #1,148 of 2,966
Jan 7, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #1,149 of 2,966

Try lowering down the volume until you reach zero. See if the sound disappears together or if one side goes out first than the other side. That would clearly indicate a channel imbalance.

It's hard to decipher channel imbalance while listening to music on normal listening volume as there's a lot of factors that could deviate our listening "center" (imaging). Our ears aren't "volume matched" perfectly so there's some deviations here and there.

Now, if the volume pot is in zero position and you can still hear something on one side and none on the other, then it's channel imbalance indeed.

I hope that helps. Cheers!

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #1,150 of 2,966
I sent an email to Cavalli Audio explaining the problem. I'll just quote it here.

How about gain settings on the LC? Have you tried reproducing the problem (distortion) on different gain on the LC? If not, you can add that to your assessment.

Try playing the same song on 1x gain and then on 3x gain (volume matched of course) and note the character of the distortion if it reduced or increased or gone altogether.

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #1,152 of 2,966
How about gain settings on the LC? Have you tried reproducing the problem (distortion) on different gain on the LC? If not, you can add that to your assessment.

Try playing the same song on 1x gain and then on 3x gain (volume matched of course) and note the character of the distortion if it reduced or increased or gone altogether.

It's still distorted, but less pronounced.

Low gain can't drive LCD-X properly. The bass is much less pronounced and the impact was significantly worse compared to Hugo.

Anyway, Dr Cavalli told me to ship back the amp with DHL. I'll keep you guys updated.

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #1,153 of 2,966

Low gain can't drive LCD-X properly. The bass is much less pronounced and the impact was significantly worse compared to Hugo.

Anyway, Dr Cavalli told me to ship back the amp with DHL. I'll keep you guys updated.

Good luck with your issue. Alex will make it right!

Just to reiterate, the 1x gain is no gain, just a pass through and attenuators for the source. It could not add power as I understand it.

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #1,154 of 2,966

Sorry to hear that. I hope it gets back to you asap and in perfect working condition. Keep us on the loop.

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,155 of 2,966

The LC drives my LCD-XC on low gain (1x) very well. I usually have the volume around 8:30 - 9:00 only when using the balanced output.

Gotta say, your comment has me perplexed. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back