Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jan 7, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,111 of 2,966
My PC > Hugo > Liquid Carbon (RCA input, balanced output) > LCD-X setup has very noticable distortion. What might be thr problem?

Power cable? Dirty AC power? RCA? Wrong volume setting?

I'm using line volume out on Hugo (press and hold xfeed button), then controlling the volume on Liquid Carbon.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #1,112 of 2,966

Having the same problem with the LC. Was working fine when it arrived. Thought I'd burn it in and have left the amp on since 48 hours. I can hear the clicking/buzzing/distortion on my left channel after the volume touches 11/12 o clock. Have changed the dac from DAC-19 to Chord Hugo, changed the RCA, changed headphone cables, changed headphones and went from SE to Balanced and have the same issue on the left channel with everything so I've concluded it's the amp. Turned it off and on again a few times (even during the course of making these changes) but the same problem. Going to give it a rest for a few hours and report back.

Edit: Tried with different combinations on the Gustard H10, and everything works great. So it's the LC. Let's see if letting it cool down does anything.

I let the LC cool down and heard it again and the same problem. Changed power cords as well as rcas etc just to eliminate everything else and I still hear cracking after 11/12 o clock on the volume pot. It's only in the left ear and it sounds like a blown up speaker like sound. It's disappointing. I will contact Alex and see what he has to say about it.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #1,113 of 2,966
My PC > Hugo > Liquid Carbon (RCA input, balanced output) > LCD-X setup has very noticable distortion. What might be thr problem?

Power cable? Dirty AC power? RCA? Wrong volume setting?

I'm using line volume out on Hugo (press and hold xfeed button), then controlling the volume on Liquid Carbon.

What do you mean by distortion?

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #1,114 of 2,966
Since there has been a lot of talk about Audio-gd's other products like the Master 11 and the Dac-19,

Has anyone heard their NFB-1.32/1DAC? Especially with the Liquid Carbon. Seems interesting as its at a similar price point as the DAC-19.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #1,115 of 2,966
  Since there has been a lot of talk about Audio-gd's other products like the Master 11 and the Dac-19,

Has anyone heard their NFB-1.32/1DAC? Especially with the Liquid Carbon. Seems interesting as its at a similar price point as the DAC-19.

I had an NFB-28, which is basically an NFB-1AMP and NFB-1DAC in a single unit.  It's one of the nicer Sabre implementations I've ever heard, but it's still extremely bright and digital sounding compared to the DAC-19.  I don't believe I ever tried the DAC section with the LC because I simply stopped using the Sabre in the NFB-28 when I got my Theta and DAC-19 R2R DACs.  

BUT, if you like the Sabre sound and can't afford a nice R2R DAC, the Audio-GD implementation is one of the better ones I've heard.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #1,116 of 2,966
Anyone has Alex's e-mail address? I can't seem to find it on their website.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #1,117 of 2,966

I had an NFB-28, which is basically an NFB-1AMP and NFB-1DAC in a single unit.  It's one of the nicer Sabre implementations I've ever heard, but it's still extremely bright and digital sounding compared to the DAC-19.  I don't believe I ever tried the DAC section with the LC because I simply stopped using the Sabre in the NFB-28 when I got my Theta and DAC-19 R2R DACs.  

BUT, if you like the Sabre sound and can't afford a nice R2R DAC, the Audio-GD implementation is one of the better ones I've heard.

Thanks, the LC and my current DAC dont play nice together but I love the LC so much I cant really justify getting rid of it, so now I'm back to shopping for DACs which i wasnt expecting :D

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #1,118 of 2,966
Quote:

What do you mean by distortion?

This is the sound when the volume is at 10 o'clock (normal):

https://soundcloud.com/kevin-setiadi-990622185/10-oclock

This is the sound when the volume is at 11 o'clock (distorted):

https://soundcloud.com/kevin-setiadi-990622185/11-oclock

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #1,119 of 2,966

I let the LC cool down and heard it again and the same problem. Changed power cords as well as rcas etc just to eliminate everything else and I still hear cracking after 11/12 o clock on the volume pot. It's only in the left ear and it sounds like a blown up speaker like sound. It's disappointing. I will contact Alex and see what he has to say about it.

First the shipping issues, and now you have to deal with this..... and you live far away in Dubai....

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #1,120 of 2,966
Maybe the continuous burn in isn't a good idea?

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #1,121 of 2,966
Jan 7, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #1,122 of 2,966
  @Jozurr had his unit on burn in for 48 hours, plus the manual required 150 hours.... 

Does burn in have to be continuous? Can't it just be over time? That's how I'm burning in mine. It's plugged in and switched on all the time, but I listen to music when I'm home. Had it for about a week now, should have clocked in about 25 hours on it. I'm enjoying the evolution.

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #1,123 of 2,966
  Does burn in have to be continuous? Can't it just be over time? That's how I'm burning in mine. It's plugged in and switched on all the time, but I listen to music when I'm home. Had it for about a week now, should have clocked in about 25 hours on it. I'm enjoying the evolution.

tbh after all of these posts about the nightmare of the hum/buzz issue, i am not planing to burn it in at all!!!

i will plug and enjoy the amp all the way, and screw the burn in.

not gonna risk it what so ever. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #1,125 of 2,966

Users who are viewing this thread

Back