Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jan 7, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #1,126 of 2,966

I and a couple other folks have had this issue (channel imbalance and distortion). Mine started after about 75 hours of burn in. So, if for nothing else but testing, I recommend the burn in period!

I emailed Cavalli support and Alex responded promptly and had me ship the amp back. He replaced the board and shipped it back (all between Christmas and New Years, so great service). I am burning it in now, and so far (36 hours in) still sounds great!

Support@CavalliAudio.com

Good luck!

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #1,127 of 2,966
If it's humming/buzzing from the balanced output, something is wrong. It should be dead quiet from balanced.
SE output may have some transformer like hum. IME and YMMV

@callizer, you might check to see if the line-out of the hugo is too high??
My PC > Hugo > Liquid Carbon (RCA input, balanced output) > LCD-X setup has very noticable distortion. What might be thr problem?

Power cable? Dirty AC power? RCA? Wrong volume setting?

I'm using line volume out on Hugo (press and hold xfeed button), then controlling the volume on Liquid Carbon.

This post might help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/7995#post_10847182

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #1,128 of 2,966
tbh after all of these posts about the nightmare of the hum/buzz issue, i am not planing to burn it in at all!!!

i will plug and enjoy the amp all the way, and screw the burn in.

not gonna risk it what so ever. 

150 hours of continuous burn in is strongly recommended by the manual. Seems unlikely this would increase the risk. I'd rather any issues pop up sooner rather than later.

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,130 of 2,966
My PC > Hugo > Liquid Carbon (RCA input, balanced output) > LCD-X setup has very noticable distortion. What might be thr problem?

Power cable? Dirty AC power? RCA? Wrong volume setting?

I'm using line volume out on Hugo (press and hold xfeed button), then controlling the volume on Liquid Carbon.

Try turning the volume down on the Hugo.  What they call line out on the Hugo can be a little much for other devices.  I usually turn it down a color or two.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #1,131 of 2,966
150 hours of continuous burn in is strongly recommended by the manual. Seems unlikely this would increase the risk. I'd rather any issues pop up sooner rather than later.

IMO, this is the real reason for 'burn-in'...

so you guys suggest that i burn it in for 150 continues hours before i even try it?  

to avoid future problems that might occur within the amp? 

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #1,132 of 2,966
I sent an email to Cavalli Audio explaining the problem. I'll just quote it here.

Dear Dr Alex Cavalli,  
I'm writing this email as a follow up for my post on HeadFi (callizer). I'm going to write in detail about the problem, probably a bit too detailed. But believe me I have left out all the unnecessary parts.

BACKSTORY

A friend of mine visited Jakarta during the holiday season from Singapore. He said "hey check out this Cavalli Liquid Carbon, it's pretty amazing". He used his LCD-3F and my LCD-X to showcase the amp. It was a trance song so there was a lot of bass. My mind was blown by the midrange presentation and bass impact. I immediately opened the Cavalli website only to find out that it's sold out. Bummer.
The amp used for the demo is no #00142, plugged into AC power in my house. He used his HM901s player as a source.

HOW I GOT THE CARBON

It turns out his friend (let's call him Y) has an extra LC, so he's willing to sell one for me. However, Y and his LC are in Singapore, so he needs to send his unit to Jakarta. Since it's quite a hassle, we decided that I'll just take the unit #00142 and my friend will take Y's Liquid Carbon.
So my Liquid Carbon is the unit #00142 that I've tried before in my own house. I don't have the box and manual yet since my friend left it in Singapore. I'll get the manual next month.

THE PROBLEM

After I got the Carbon, I tried this setup at home:

PC (Foobar) -> Chord Hugo -> Liquid Carbon (RCA Input, Balanced Output) -> Audeze LCD-X.

LC's Cable: stock power cable that came from the box and a generic RCA cable.

Note: I press and hold the Crossfeed button like it was written Hugo manual to set up line volume output.

I tried several songs:
Bryan Adams - Heaven
Bryan Adams - Summer of 69
Colbie Caillat - Brighter than the Sun.
Coldplay - Viva La Vida

The first 2 songs don't have much bass since it's from an acoustic album. The third and fourth are modern songs so they have quite a lot of bass.
I didn't notice distortion in the first 2 songs, but I can hear a very audible distortion from 3rd and 4th song. I can hear it every time there is a drum kick.

I recorded the sound with my phone:

- Volume at around 10 o'clock (normal) : https://soundcloud.com/kevin-setiadi-990622185/10-oclock

- Volume at around 11 o'clock (distorted): https://soundcloud.com/kevin-setiadi-990622185/11-oclock

TRYING TO FIND THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM.

I had a mini-meet with my friend and a Jaben store representative. I compared the LC with Bakoon HDA 5520, MassKobo 404, and Wagnus Epsylon S. These three amps are powered by batteries. Result: no distortion whatsoever on these amps.
Theory#1: Dirty AC power?

I also tried other sources like Onkyo DP-X1 and AK240SS. Every source that uses LC has distortion, so I concluded Source is not the problem.

I also tried some expensive RCA cables, no effect.

Then I tried some high impedance, non planar headphones -- Sennheiser HD800 and ATH R70x (all single ended). Result: very clean, no distortion.

Theory#2: Liquid Carbon does not have enough current to produce a great bass impact on a planar magnetic headphone. This is weird because the LC definitely has some punch when I tried it with HM901s.

Theory#3: Balanced output is problematic.

To test theory#3, I tried LCD-X with single ended cable. It still produces distortion and the sound becomes really dark. Is it normal to have such a difference between SE and balanced outputs? In any case, SE is as problematic as the balanced output.

So this is the problem and some theories I've come up with. I hope you can help me find the solution.
cleardot.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,133 of 2,966

so you guys suggest that i burn it in for 150 continues hours before i even try it?  

to avoid future problems that might occur within the amp? 

You don't have to burn it in without listening to it, but I bet that if the amp is going to develop any sort of problem it's most likely going to do so during the first 150 hrs of use.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,134 of 2,966

You don't have to burn it in without listening to it, but I bet that if the amp is going to develop any sort of problem it's most likely going to do so during the first 150 hrs of use.

will burn it in for a day at least. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #1,135 of 2,966

i seem to have a slight channel imbalance issue, but i can't decipher if it's a the sound stage or a real channel imbalance... it seems that i hear alot of bass and mid range from the left side and vocals more from the right side...

hmmm. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,136 of 2,966
i seem to have a slight channel imbalance issue, but i can't decipher if it's a the sound stage or a real channel imbalance... it seems that i hear alot of bass and mid range from the left side and vocals more from the right side...

hmmm. 

Across multiple songs/recordings?

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,137 of 2,966

hmmm.

This might help - http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,138 of 2,966
I burned mine in for about 200 hours. So I lost track of days. It made the amp a little more open and a bit brighter. Perhaps a bit more low end. My amp made it through without issue. But I personally don't think it's needed. My amp sounded super right out of the box. Also Alex is having us burn them in to produce better sound. Not to weed out bad amps. Although getting them to fail early on is a side benefit. As far as Noise is concerned. When I have my single ended th900's plugged into the LC, I can hear some ambient hiss if I turn up the volume up past 2-3 o'clock. I'll try it balanced tonight and report back. But I have no channel imbalance nor distortions even at some stupid high volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back