Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Apr 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,216 of 2,306

Quote:
Robert cracks me up, man. He pimps that violectric stuff pretty hard. In fact, i am surprised that he sold you a cavalli with no fuss, instead of giving you the "just let me rewire your v200 for you. It will destroy the cavalli" spiel.
biggrin.gif

What's this? The V200 can be rewired?     I never talk much to dealers about gear so I must have missed this part of the V200 experience.  

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,217 of 2,306
Quote:
What's this? The V200 can be rewired?     I never talk much to dealers about gear so I must have missed this part of the V200 experience.  

oh, i'm not sure there are many folks out there who've heard a re-wired V200.
after all, it's pretty tough to justify spending 400 or 500 modding a $1000 amp, when its still quite likely that a $2000 amp will sound better.

but, robert does speak very highly of the modded V200.
i mean, why wouldn't he? 
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,220 of 2,306
Apr 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,221 of 2,306
You know what doesn't pair well with the LF? Bose Quiet Comfort. Well, perhaps after sufficient amounts of Southern Comfort.

I sold my LCD-3 and have yet to find a new home to the LF, so I figured let me see what gives, having purchased a QC15 for an upcoming trip (hey, the noise canceling really works). I used the high impedance output on the LF, with a 1/4 to 1/8" adapter to fit the standard issue cable. I'll start from the bottom and go up:

Bass was plenty. Enormous. Vage though, devoid of any meaningful detail. It didn't extend as far down as the LCD to which I had grown accustomed, but it far exceeded it on quantity. Mids were there alright, only very far in the back. A veiled LCD-3 sounds incredibly bright by comparison (from memory, as I no longer have the veiled pair). Top and air were present, but again, very hard to discern through the booming bass.

I should say that the Bose cans sound much better directly from my iPhone, playing essentially the same lossless files that ran through my Resolution CMC. I wonder why this is; I'd have thought that no matter how wanting a headphone's sound quality is, a dedicated amp could only improve.

As the LCD-3 wasn't packed yet, I switched to it for a few minutes to see a quick reversal to the sound I was accustomed to. What a relief; but now it must go in the box and off to its new home. 

I will be headphone-less for a while, until pricejapan will deliver my SR-009 and the SRM 727 as a temporary amp for the long year or so that I'll have to wait for the BHSE.

I must admit, I feel kind of weird parting ways with LCD and LF; they have been really good to my ears.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,222 of 2,306
^^

I agree that the QC15s have outstanding noise cancellation. By far the best I've heard. And actually they don't sound half bad. I think they get a bad rap...and they are amongst the most comfortable headphones out there.

FWIW, I did get my LCD-3s back from Audeze. They aren't totally different from the non-veiled pair that I sent in last week, but the mids are a bit more forward and the treble seems less pushed back (but still smooth, not peaky like the LCD-2 r.2s...only in comparative terms...the LCD-2 r.2's treble is still outstanding and better than most cans). My returned FR graph looks like the ones posted on the LCD-3 now. My original looked almost identical to the one Skylab posted on his review. Overall I'm even happier now. They're fantastic with my amps and I bet they'd be killer with the LF too.

Too bad you're Audeze journey has come to and end, but you're hardly slumming it with the SR-009 + SR-727. I hope to really hear them sooner than later.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #1,224 of 2,306
the 1+ year wait for the BHSE has got to be the most bewildering thing in this whole blasted hobby.

i'm an architect.  and i draw houses that get built in less than a year.

confused.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,225 of 2,306
Audez'e, the way it's intended to be pronounced, is kind of like Odyssey, which is about a journey after all. Funny how things relate. 

I'm happy that your new pair sounds even better, and who knows, perhaps one day I'll revisit Audeze... once they get their stuff together on the 1st batch 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Too bad you're Audeze journey has come to and end, but you're hardly slumming it with the SR-009 + SR-727. I hope to really hear them sooner than later.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,226 of 2,306
I thought about it, but methinks it's somehow priced more than what I'm comfortable paying for it. I know, the BHSE is even more, but man, those looks... 

Quote:
Yoo should really give the Cavalli liquid lightning a try if you are going the stax route. Deliveries expected to be by end of next month!

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,227 of 2,306
Caution there.... on our last business buildout a 6-month job turned into an almost 2-year ordeal, what with permitting, etc. But yah, no permits, unions, environmental mitigation with BHSE, right? Is the guy reluctant to hire help?

Quote:
the 1+ year wait for the BHSE has got to be the most bewildering thing in this whole blasted hobby.

i'm an architect.  and i draw houses that get built in less than a year.

confused.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #1,228 of 2,306
Quote:
Is the guy reluctant to hire help?

He's a perfectionist and he doesn't like delegating build responsibilities to third parties.  To my knowledge, the current 45-unit BHSE run is the only time he's contracted out a part of the build labor to outsiders.  He's testing everything himself though.

It's a double-edged sword.  You get the best in build and functionality, but at the cost of timeliness.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,229 of 2,306
I was reading over at Headphonia about using low gain output instead of high for better headphone performance.  I prefer the 1 output to the 2 low output w/the LF after having listened to both for quite some time.  What does everyone else here weigh in at?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back