Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Mar 23, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #1,126 of 2,306
Australian Customs works off the exchange rate of the day the item is being processed. If it's below $1000 AUD, then you won't get charged. If it is over, then they charge you GST (including shipping) plus a handling fee. Usually the item ends up costing USD price + 15%.

Room40, you should take a look at Addictedtoaudio if you're after a DarkStar. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,127 of 2,306

Quote:
Australian Customs works off the exchange rate of the day the item is being processed. If it's below $1000 AUD, then you won't get charged. If it is over, then they charge you GST (including shipping) plus a handling fee. Usually the item ends up costing USD price + 15%.

Room40, you should take a look at Addictedtoaudio if you're after a DarkStar. 

Thanks for the confirmation Shubar. Didn't know they worked off the exchange rate of the day.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #1,128 of 2,306

Quote:
Yes, but since I haven't received it yet I've no idea what it's going to be. Alex mentioned something about being required to declare it at $1000 value. Since you only pay Customs Tax and GST on items valued over $1000 in Australia, I may not have to pay anything. Here's hoping.

Mine was shipped to Canada via USPS as well, declared for $1,000 as well, the USPS tracking system had it in the Chicago sort facility in their system for quite a while as well, even though we are considerably closer.
I can't speak for Australia, but Customs Canada charged me 12% (our HST) on the declared value of $1,000USD plus a small administrative fee. Wound up being about $130.

The USPS page is indeed slow to update, but it'll get there.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #1,129 of 2,306
Quote:
Mine was shipped to Canada via USPS as well, declared for $1,000 as well, the USPS tracking system had it in the Chicago sort facility in their system for quite a while as well, even though we are considerably closer.
I can't speak for Australia, but Customs Canada charged me 12% (our HST) on the declared value of $1,000USD plus a small administrative fee. Wound up being about $130.

The USPS page is indeed slow to update, but it'll get there.

That's whats happening to mine. It went from Texas to Chicago in one day. It's been sitting in the Chicago sort facility since Tuesday, the 20th. So much for 3 - 5 days shipping time. Wasn't expecting it to arrive on time anyway, general time is 2 weeks. Does Chicago host an American customs centre?

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #1,130 of 2,306

Quote:
That's whats happening to mine. It went from Texas to Chicago in one day. It's been sitting in the Chicago sort facility since Tuesday, the 20th. So much for 3 - 5 days shipping time. Wasn't expecting it to arrive on time anyway, general time is 2 weeks. Does Chicago host an American customs centre?

Not to my knowledge but it is a shipping hub and has one of the largest airports in the country.
Once it got out of Chicago it was with Customs Canada for less than 12 hours, luck I think, and also it didn't have to cross an ocean.

Once it hit Chicago, CanadaPosts's tracking info was more punctual. I would check with Australia's national carrier, using the same tracking info. Either way, it won't be long 
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #1,131 of 2,306
Quote:
Not to my knowledge but it is a shipping hub and has one of the largest airports in the country.
Once it got out of Chicago it was with Customs Canada for less than 12 hours, luck I think, and also it didn't have to cross an ocean.

Once it hit Chicago, CanadaPosts's tracking info was more punctual. I would check with Australia's national carrier, using the same tracking info. Either way, it won't be long 
wink.gif

Thanks Obzilla. I've got a feeling it'll rock up either Monday or Tuesday. 
redface.gif

Besides, what's an extra couple of days anyway? 
wink_face.gif

Funnily enough, tracking through USPS has been more descriptive. I've got 5 status entries through USPS tracking. Through Auspost tracking, I've only got 3, and two of those are the same one repeated twice.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #1,132 of 2,306
Faces!  Listening to A Nod is as good as a Wink to a Blind Horse.  Audio Fidelity gold disc Stevie Hoffman master.  Man this sounds right.  Great sound stage and definition.  Fun listening for sure.  Liquid Fire delivers again!

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,134 of 2,306
Congrats, and I look forward to your impressions. You plan on using it with the HD 800 you snagged from under my nose while I wasn't watching the for sale board?

Quote:
Received my LF last friday... I will post some of my thoughts after some more listening.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,137 of 2,306
Listening to Sinatra's Only the Lonely (from the UK box set "The Capitol Years"). Absolutely stunning. There's a dimensionality to it I haven't heard in a long, long time. Made me have a pour of some fine cask-strength Scotch. Only missing is a fat cigar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back