Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Nov 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #376 of 2,306
Barber's Cafe Blue is a similar disc. Avoid the Mobile Fidelity version. The similarity is because both were recorded and mastered by Jim Anderson. I like the music a little better on Modern Cool.

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #377 of 2,306
So, I've pretty much decided to sell most of my gear. I'm keeping the Zana Deux, just because I've grown too attached to the thing to let it go. Also keeping the KGSS for my stats. I'll probably be keeping the HD800 and the O2, and eventually get an LCD-3.

Debating whether or not to trade the Leben CS-300XS in for a Cavalli Liquid Fire, though. Especially if I end up getting an LCD-3.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #379 of 2,306

Buying the LF would be an excellent idea.
Quote:
So, I've pretty much decided to sell most of my gear. I'm keeping the Zana Deux, just because I've grown too attached to the thing to let it go. Also keeping the KGSS for my stats. I'll probably be keeping the HD800 and the O2, and eventually get an LCD-3.

Debating whether or not to trade the Leben CS-300XS in for a Cavalli Liquid Fire, though. Especially if I end up getting an LCD-3.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #380 of 2,306
Would you mind sharing the tube configuration of the Leben?  I've auditioned it, albeit with stock tubes. 

Quote:

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #381 of 2,306

Quote:
Would you mind sharing the tube configuration of the Leben?  I've auditioned it, albeit with stock tubes. 

Same as the stock configuration in mine.

Ideally, I'd like to know how the Liquid Fire gets on with the HD800. I've never really liked the sound of them with the Leben, and there's always been hissing when I turn up the volume even with a change in tubes, but I do like the HD800 with the Zana.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #382 of 2,306
The stock tubes hardly do either amp justice. It just doesn't make sense to run them stock. 

The Leben stock has a warmer sound than the LF. Mids are more pronounced whereas the lows don't extend as far as the LF. I had both, and decided to keep the LF. Ultimately it boils down to your sonic preference. If you want more tubey, Leben's the way. If you want speed, room and depth with just the right amount of tube euphony, the LF is it. 

Quote:

Ideally, I'd like to know how the Liquid Fire gets on with the HD800. I've never really liked the sound of them with the Leben, and there's always been hissing when I turn up the volume even with a change in tubes, but I do like the HD800 with the Zana.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #383 of 2,306

Quote:
The stock tubes hardly do either amp justice. It just doesn't make sense to run them stock. 

The Leben stock has a warmer sound than the LF. Mids are more pronounced whereas the lows don't extend as far as the LF. I had both, and decided to keep the LF. Ultimately it boils down to your sonic preference. If you want more tubey, Leben's the way. If you want speed, room and depth with just the right amount of tube euphony, the LF is it. 

Thanks for the input. Based on your description, the Liquid Fire sounds more akin to what I'm looking for. I do enjoy the overt "tube magic" that comes from the Leben, but it's more of an interesting contrast I enjoy as a collector at the moment. It's not something I'd want per se from my main system.

As for the stock tubes on the Leben, I personally prefer them to any of the others with which I've experimented. I also really despise tube rolling (doing it right, not just throwing tubes in like some people do). I'm sure I could have spent a lot more and gotten some uber-tubes that I would have personally preferred, but I saw (and heard) no need. Call me crazy, but there you go.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #384 of 2,306
For Leben I am using some vintage NOS tubes which cost more than half of the Leben itself. 1950's Amperex Bugleboy long plate D getter 12AX7s and Mullard EL84s also from the 1950's. The difference is more than night and day.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #385 of 2,306

Quote:
For Leben I am using some vintage NOS tubes which cost more than half of the Leben itself. 1950's Amperex Bugleboy long plate D getter 12AX7s and Mullard EL84s also from the 1950's. The difference is more than night and day.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I'm amazed by the performance (and cost) of some of these tubes. I bet your system sounds awesome.

My goal has never been to have the utmost performance, but rather to have a wide variety of sounds to experiment with and enjoy. I suppose that would make me a collector or hobbyist first and foremost and an audiophile secondarily. Times have changed though, and I'd say I've changed a bit as well.

If I decide on keeping the Leben, then I'll most likely resume experimenting and try upgrading to some (slightly) more expensive tubes. At the moment though it doesn't make sense for me, because I'm not even sure I want the Leben as the centerpiece for my rig. Why invest a ton of money if it's still, at the end of the day, going to be too "tubey" for me to be in my main setup?

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #386 of 2,306

Quote:

I have never heard any hissing with my Liquid Fire and my HD-800's even at full volume, but I know what you are talking about using  a Woo WA6SE or WA5LE and the HD-800's. However because of my HE6's my HD800's are kept as my back-up headphone, and I am just waiting now to hear my LCD3's and Liquid Fire combo before I sell my HD-800's.

Nov 13, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #387 of 2,306
Quote:

The LF is a much better amp for the HD800 than the Zana Deux SE IMO.  Imagining, soundstage, bass, you name it, the LF does it better.  I owned the the ZD SE for 1-1/2 years before I sold it.  That said, the HD800 which I currently own is outclassed by the LCD2 r2 and most likely the LCD3 (I get mine on Tuesday).   My recommendation, sell the Leben and get the LF.

Nov 13, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #388 of 2,306
X2

Steve.  Please post up the L-3 impressions as soon as able.  I've got to be getting those myself!

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #389 of 2,306
Did some Power supply upgrades on my DAC 3.1

Replaced all old blackgate rubycon PSU caps with new low ESR Panasonic FR series caps.

Dexa regulators for the DAC stages. 

Decoupling caps for buffer and I/V also replaced with panasonic FRs and NPO ceramic bypass caps installed.

With the upgrades, initial impressions are that i can hear distinct improvement in detail retrieval and much better controlled low end, noticeably faster transients.and this was already a fast source. 

The caps still need to burn in. The Siemens in the LF are still burning in as well. I've got a couple of mods in mind for my LF as well. 
wink_face.gif

Some new opamps are in coming and discrete buffer adapter boards to replace the BUF634s in the DAC.

The synergy with the LF of the assemblage is just pleasing all around. I really need to start pumping some high res material through this puppy. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #390 of 2,306

Quote:
Did some Power supply upgrades on my DAC 3.1

Replaced all old blackgate rubycon PSU caps with new low ESR Panasonic FR series caps.

Dexa regulators for the DAC stages. 

Decoupling caps for buffer and I/V also replaced with panasonic FRs and NPO ceramic bypass caps installed.

With the upgrades, initial impressions are that i can hear distinct improvement in detail retrieval and much better controlled low end, noticeably faster transients.and this was already a fast source. 

The caps still need to burn in. The Siemens in the LF are still burning in as well. I've got a couple of mods in mind for my LF as well. 
wink_face.gif

Some new opamps are in coming and discrete buffer adapter boards to replace the BUF634s in the DAC.

The synergy with the LF of the assemblage is just pleasing all around. I really need to start pumping some high res material through this puppy. 

Very nice upgrades.
The Liquid Fire does everything so well, one might feel obligated to upgrade the rest of there system.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back