Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available
Apr 28, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #466 of 1,195
I just placed my order last night, and I'm so glad to join the club..

I feel that I will look back on this as one of the best purchases I ever made on my headphone journey...

Quote:

You can find your own nirvana for far less then what @MattTCG is describing.  He's been on the headphone journey for a very long time and just saw his "Shangri-La".  Please don't feel obligated to jump in the deep end on day number one.  There are outstanding headphones well under the flagships that are 4 figures, plus there's a vibrant used market here to take advantage of.

.....and sorry for your wallet.

Thanks again for your insight.  I agree wholeheartedly.  I'm sure I'd really appreciate a flagship headphone, but as of now, I wouldn't completely understand "why" I'd enjoy it so much.  I will keep my current budget of $500. for headphones, and every time I step up I'll be able to appreciate what I'm hearing more and more.  When I finally get to a flagship level headphone, I'll have a good understanding of what I like to hear, and how to properly discern it.  The journey may be long, but I'll enjoy it every step of the way.

And the wallet is okay, we're working it all out now.:)

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #467 of 1,195
I just placed my order last night, and I'm so glad to join the club..

I feel that I will look back on this as one of the best purchases I ever made on my headphone journey...

How can one post a confirmation of order post without its order number.
cool.gif

Jokes aside, welcome aboard! Now roughly 3 months (May is coming boys) till first shipment.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #468 of 1,195
  How can one post a confirmation of order post without its order number.
cool.gif

Jokes aside, welcome aboard! Now roughly 3 months (May is coming boys) till first shipment.

That's funny, I was thinking to post it before I started typing my post.
Bye bye short term memory..:)

Ordered on 4/27, and my order number is #737, for those keeping track.
Peace.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #469 of 1,195
Thanks again for your insight.  I agree wholeheartedly.  I'm sure I'd really appreciate a flagship headphone, but as of now, I wouldn't completely understand "why" I'd enjoy it so much.  I will keep my current budget of $500. for headphones, and every time I step up I'll be able to appreciate what I'm hearing more and more.  When I finally get to a flagship level headphone, I'll have a good understanding of what I like to hear, and how to properly discern it.  The journey may be long, but I'll enjoy it every step of the way.

$500 headphone budget? I got the HE-500 used for $440 and it's supposed to be pretty close to the HE-6, which goes for $1K+

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #472 of 1,195

Someone needs to listen to a properly amplified HE-6....

From what I've heard in reviews, the 500 comes pretty close, especially considering price. However, I haven't ever heard an HE-6 and I'm afraid to 'cause I just might like it too much.

IMHO they're both terrific headphones, and I really enjoy the technical prowess of both given the orthodynamic drivers. However, I think they are both fairly different sounding headphones. 

I'm personally very excited to hear the HE-500 with the carbon myself! I think it has potential to be a good match.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #473 of 1,195

IMHO they're both terrific headphones, and I really enjoy the technical prowess of both given the orthodynamic drivers. However, I think they are both fairly different sounding headphones. 

I'm personally very excited to hear the HE-500 with the carbon myself! I think it has potential to be a good match.

I'm right there in the boat with ya. Can't wait to see what the 500s sound like through the carbon. I just really hope HiFiMAN has some trickle-down tech from the HE-1k in another cheaper can. I'd love to hear the best bass reproduction in a headphone on my head. :p

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #474 of 1,195
FWIW, I placed my order around 8PM April 27 and it was assigned 747 (a nice number).  Ordering was quick and so was confirmation.

I was in the market for an amp in this price range but wasn't ready to jump on the Liquid Carbon on opening day.  I'm glad I waited and had no hassle.  Don't know what tipped me over the line exactly.

I just read all 32 pages of this thread.  We really don't know much except that Cavilli makes great amps, the few people who have heard the LC loved it, and a bunch of us were crazy enough to buy it sight unseen.  This is the real fun of this hobby!

I will be looking for a matching DAC and maybe some cans (Oppo PM-3 are on the short list already).  I just received the 1964Ears ADEL A12 CIEMS that I backed on Kickstarter which I really can't recommend highly enough so I am not needing another IEM for a while.

I hope the suggestions for good matching DACs keep coming....I'll go back to lurking now.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #475 of 1,195

April 20th. 690.. but now that the 200 minimum has been surpassed, I doubt if that is of interest.

I also am looking for a DAC to match with the LC.... maybe $500 to.. outside $750. I have seen some suggestions, and appreciate them. Just still really not close to making the jump on anything.

I guess that I have a while to think about it.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #476 of 1,195
I'm thankful that my final stop at the recent L.A. CanJam show was at the Cavalli table. This little amp really blew me away, which is why I jumped when I saw them for sale. I'm planning to use it as a kick ass bedside rig with my Pono player running balanced as the source. For the money the Pono player is pretty darn good for a balanced source that's also very portable. Good times in audio!!

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #477 of 1,195

April 20th. 690.. but now that the 200 minimum has been surpassed, I doubt if that is of interest.

I also am looking for a DAC to match with the LC.... maybe $500 to.. outside $750. I have seen some suggestions, and appreciate them. Just still really not close to making the jump on anything.

I guess that I have a while to think about it.

Unless you are desperate for balanced, I just bought a Resonessence Labs Concero HD. Seriously impressed. It's the poor mans Invicta, just like LC is the poor mans LAu 
tongue.gif

You should be able to find one on the FS forum for well within that price range.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #478 of 1,195

Allow me to respectfully disagree. 

I jumped into the deep end of the headphone market with an Alpha Prime (after years of IEM-only use). I am super-happy with my purchase, and I know I won't be upgrading for a long time. 

If it's something you think you'll be spending money on eventually, just get what you really want straight off. You'll be spending LESS money overall. By a lot. 

I see people do this with instruments, buying each successive grade up the chain, and spending multiple times what they would have spent if they had just bought a good one off the bat. 

YMMV, of course. 

EDIT: Of course, this assumes that you are pretty sure you'll want a TOTL pair eventually anyway, but you seem pretty sure that you do. Sure, you miss out on the interesting process of switching and upgrading in steps, but you gain the pleasure of listening to a great hp from the very start. When I think of all the money I spent unnecessarily on IEMs by upgrading in stages from Etymotic to Klipsch to Sennheiser to Westone...Boy do I wish I had just bought my Westones right off the bat!

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #479 of 1,195

Allow me to respectfully disagree. 

I jumped into the deep end of the headphone market with an Alpha Prime (after years of IEM-only use). I am super-happy with my purchase, and I know I won't be upgrading for a long time. 

If it's something you think you'll be spending money on eventually, just get what you really want straight off. You'll be spending LESS money overall. By a lot. 

I see people do this with instruments, buying each successive grade up the chain, and spending multiple times what they would have spent if they had just bought a good one off the bat. 

YMMV, of course. 

I completely agree. I spent A LOT of money climbing the IEM ladder and ending up at Noble K10s. The journey is fun, but ultimately expensive. Ether will be my first (and hopefully last) open headphone. If money is the main concern then wait, save, sell and buy endgame. If you want the journey, that's great, but you pay for it!

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #480 of 1,195

Allow me to respectfully disagree. I jumped into the deep end of the headphone market with an Alpha Prime (after years of IEM-only use). I am super-happy with my purchase, and I know I won't be upgrading for a long time. If it's something you think you'll be spending money on eventually, just get what you really want straight off. You'll be spending LESS money overall. By a lot. I see people do this with instruments, buying each successive grade up the chain, and spending multiple times what they would have spent if they had just bought a good one off the bat. YMMV, of course. 

EDIT: Of course, this assumes that you are pretty sure you'll want a TOTL pair eventually anyway, but you seem pretty sure that you do. Sure, you miss out on the interesting process of switching and upgrading in steps, but you gain the pleasure of listening to a great hp from the very start. 

I agree that jumping to a TOTL pair usually ends up being less expensive than slowly buying and reselling up your way on the ladder, but the journey is half the fun anyways. also, it is helpful to try a lot of different sound signatures in a more affordable range to get a sense of what your tastes are when finally settling on a flagship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back