Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available
Apr 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #436 of 1,195
  Schiit has some shorter ones for stacking at a good price:

http://schiit.com/products/pyst-cables

If you believe in premium cables, all of the custom cable shops make these as well and you have plenty of time to get them made before you get the amp.

Do note that the Pyst cables are very stiff and may not be the best choice for many situations. They're designed to run between the Magni/Modi and could possibly be too short and stiff for use with other equipment.

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #437 of 1,195

Do note that the Pyst cables are very stiff and may not be the best choice for many situations. They're designed to run between the Magni/Modi and could possibly be too short and stiff for use with other equipment.

Another thing is the PYST aren't the longest cables of them all, if you do need the length.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #439 of 1,195
  No one's mentioned Blue Jean Cables yet? For shame.

Now this may have been the most useful cable related post here for the LC for me. Ships to the UK and includes tax. Now that's better for my budgeting -XD

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #441 of 1,195
  does a better amp/dac means clearer audio?

Depends on your setup. Everything is a combination of all the gear you have. Pretty much any DAC is going to get fairly good sound, and most amps that are reputable enough to talk about sound good. Then your headphones do the actual music making, but if you've got all that good stuff and start streaming music at 50 KBPS it's gonna sound pretty terrible. Clearer is also subjective, but I do think that my music sounds much better through my amp and DAC than it does straight out of the headphone jack in my laptop.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #442 of 1,195
Well,

As we all know, the longer one stays on the forums, the more one is likely to spend money so my choice of XLR cable is Audioquest Columbia and it's 40% off at:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-235-audioquest-columbia-interconnects-pr.aspx

Since I've spent $250 on headphone cables I suppose this is reasonable given the sale at Music Direct. I know there are some critics of AQ and yes, I suspect that some of their premium cost is pure marketing, but in my case I need heavy shielding as my spot for the LC is full of EMI sources and each time I've put an AQ cable product in place, it has eliminated my noise issues.

This is as far as I am going before I receive my LC so everyone must make sure I don't spend anymore dollars. But feel free to buy more of my old stuff when I put on classified this weekend LOL.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #444 of 1,195

No one's mentioned Blue Jean Cables yet? For shame.

Now this may have been the most useful cable related post here for the LC for me. Ships to the UK and includes tax. Now that's better for my budgeting -XD

Blue Jean cables are great! Reasonable pricing pro quality stuff and they use the right cable for the job. These guys actually pay attention to what matters in a cable for a certain application and use the best pro quality cable for the circumstances. If you are willing to do a little DIY though you can buy the bulk cable from Markertek and make the same cable while saving a few bucks Also you can get the exact length you need this way which is another good thing.

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #446 of 1,195

Blue Jean cables are great! Reasonable pricing pro quality stuff and they use the right cable for the job. These guys actually pay attention to what matters in a cable for a certain application and use the best pro quality cable for the circumstances. If you are willing to do a little DIY though you can buy the bulk cable from Markertek and make the same cable while saving a few bucks Also you can get the exact length you need this way which is another good thing.

Blue Jean cables are the real deal. They use Belden cable and have a good connection with Steve Lampen of Belden who knows cable science better than almost anyone on the planet. Unbalanced cables are something they do especially well. For XLR star-quad cables, though, those from Markertek are great.

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #447 of 1,195
By "pro quality" does that mean more durable? XLR seem to be pretty pervasive for pro audio equipment and I would assume that these class of cables are meant to be plugged in and out frequently on any given day and stepped on a lot. However, for home component use, I doubt anyone is going to be connecting/disconnecting the LC more than a few times a year (anyone really going to lug this around?).

If "pro quality" is durability, then does that also equate to better sound quality or is there a trade off? If there is, I personally would go for less durability and better sound quality all else being the same. I hope someone can give some insight on this.

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #448 of 1,195
imo, professional grade means it's dependable. durability as well but something that you can rely and trust that it's up to the task. i dont think there is a tradeoff between durability and sound quality. its up to buyer that which cable is going to provide the best satisfaction, price/looks/build quality/sound quality? aside. everyone is different, hence the variety of cables in market. sent from smartphoooone

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #449 of 1,195
Your in the studio, on stage, on location etc, and money is burning at the some rate between $200 and $200,000 per hour. Sound and lighting equipment everywhere. Grunts handling equipment. Superior sound taken for granted or your fired. Yeah, XLR star-quads are what pros rely on for temp location work to permanent installs. They can take a beating, reliably deliver high quality sound even though the cables are run next to megawatt dimmer packs for lighting. Fairly immune to oxidation in waterfront locations by the sea. And the high end mastering places, that final stop between the mix engineer and the medium delivery will use them to connect together a myriad of audio equipment through which those recordings to which you listen pass. Oh, and they were used between the microphones in front of the talent and the preamps at the mix console. All the outboards (signal processing such as EQ, compressors, limiters etc) were connected to the console with XLR star quads. My own personal studio has more money tied up in these cables than most high end headphone listening setups.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #450 of 1,195
Any idea where the number of units sold now? Whats the last #.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back