Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available
Apr 30, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #482 of 1,195
  I too am on the look out for a good dac pairing. I wonder if there is much of a sound quality difference using a balanced DAC with this amp vs using a single ended source?

So far everyone is saying that using balanced on the inputs doesn't matter. However on the headphone side it does. But I still bought an Emotiva Stealth DC-1. Should be here tomorrow.

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #483 of 1,195

Thanks again for your insight.  I agree wholeheartedly.  I'm sure I'd really appreciate a flagship headphone, but as of now, I wouldn't completely understand "why" I'd enjoy it so much.  I will keep my current budget of $500. for headphones, and every time I step up I'll be able to appreciate what I'm hearing more and more.  When I finally get to a flagship level headphone, I'll have a good understanding of what I like to hear, and how to properly discern it.  The journey may be long, but I'll enjoy it every step of the way.

And the wallet is okay, we're working it all out now.:)

Definitely agree with you. I've purchased and ran through a ton of headphones and this method although more time consuming is great for two reasons:

1. At each step you'll gain more appreciation for small improvements and begin to notice the subtle improvements. 

2. You'll learn a lot about SQ at each step. There is a growing market of high end  headphones and if you work your way up you'll be able to tell if the "new" headphone is really a step up from your "current" headphone.

beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #485 of 1,195
  So far everyone is saying that using balanced on the inputs doesn't matter. However on the headphone side it does. But I still bought an Emotiva Stealth DC-1. Should be here tomorrow.

I was checking out that DAC at AXPONA. From the details it sounds like it could be a good pairing choice with the LC.

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #486 of 1,195
For all those who are looking for a good DAC to pair, there's a thread in the Dedicated Audio Components section of the forum just for this. Asking around over there is likely to get a pretty wide range of responses.

In regards to the whole 'jump to the TOTL model' thing, I have to say that in headphones a lot of the fun is starting out with dorky cheap pairs of Senns and Grados and the like. It allows you to find out what sound signatures you enjoy and gives you time to appreciate high quality. Getting the Grado SR80 was the best choice I made in the headphone world because it opened me to open headphones (ha ha) and I learned what exactly more I wanted. However, since I'm going from the Magni straight to the Carbon and hopefully stopping there, I haven't exactly had any fun with that part. DAC too, I'm going from Modi to Yggdrasil. I guess the best place to experiment is with headphones 'cause they're the most important part of your system. I probably should go to a CanJam sometime just to listen to all sorts of gear because that's where you get to hear others impressions, see what other people like, and make some discoveries of your own.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #488 of 1,195

Unless you are desperate for balanced, I just bought a Resonessence Labs Concero HD. Seriously impressed. It's the poor mans Invicta, just like LC is the poor mans LAu 
tongue.gif

You should be able to find one on the FS forum for well within that price range.

The Concero HD is a top notch DAC and very compact. It's a little pricey for a plain jane box, but you can't argue with the performance and size.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #490 of 1,195
@Pirakaphile won't be the only one pairing the Liquid Carbon with a Yggdrasil. When time permits, I intend to audition the LC with the ConceroHD, Mousai MSD192, Auralic Vega and the yggdrasil. Already have the DACs, but that pesky career thing has the next 6 weeks overbooked.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #493 of 1,195
  I'm thankful that my final stop at the recent L.A. CanJam show was at the Cavalli table. This little amp really blew me away, which is why I jumped when I saw them for sale. I'm planning to use it as a kick ass bedside rig with my Pono player running balanced as the source. For the money the Pono player is pretty darn good for a balanced source that's also very portable. Good times in audio!!

I like your plan.  Especially seeing the headphones you've got in your profile.  I plan on doing the same for transportable listening.  The little Pono is surprisingly neat as a source.  It can do a 3D thing if the recording has it in it.  Cavalli amps are also able to do a 3D thing.  Combine a source like that with an amp like that and the combo becomes more than the sum of the parts.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #494 of 1,195

I like your plan.  Especially seeing the headphones you've got in your profile.  I plan on doing the same for transportable listening.  The little Pono is surprisingly neat as a source.  It can do a 3D thing if the recording has it in it.  Cavalli amps are also able to do a 3D thing.  Combine a source like that with an amp like that and the combo becomes more than the sum of the parts.

@Ham Sandwich - are you also on the LC waiting list?

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #495 of 1,195
  @Ham Sandwich - are you also on the LC waiting list?

Absolutely.  
biggrin.gif

I'm one of the idiots that helped crash the server when ordering went live.  Getting in on this amp order was a no-brainer for me.  Even though I haven't heard the amp.

My goal is to get a yin-yang in Cavalli sound.  The Liquid Fire for the hybrid style yin.  And the Liquid Carbon for the solid state style yang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back