Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available
May 1, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #511 of 1,195

Are you confusing the difference between the single-ended DAC output and single-ended output in a balanced amp? I agree you shouldn't be throwing away power from a balanced amp when most headphones only need their cables re-terminated to take advantage of balanced mode. In head to head comparisons with balanced DACs, the Concero is every bit as good. Not sure why you think the Gungnir is overrated, it holds its own against much more expensive DACs, has a good feature set, and a nice build quality. Anyway, enjoy your new DAC.

Im not confusing anything. I feel the balanced opens up my planars and makes them sound much better than they do in SE. As to the Gungnr, I had a hard time dstinguishing between the Gung and the Bifrost(which I did own). Alot of dacs hold their own against much more expensive dacs.ex. the Hegel

I'd be really surprised if there would be much difference in perceived sound quality between balanced and unbalanced from DAC to amp where the amp is fully balanced internally and outputting via XLR to headphones in both cases. I'd echo the previous question...are you really talking about balanced v SE dac, or balanced v SE amp? The latter I think is far more likely to show audible benefits running balanced.

May 1, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #512 of 1,195

I'd be really surprised if there would be much difference in perceived sound quality between balanced and unbalanced from DAC to amp where the amp is fully balanced internally and outputting via XLR to headphones in both cases. I'd echo the previous question...are you really talking about balanced v SE dac, or balanced v SE amp? The latter I think is far more likely to show audible benefits running balanced.

+1

May 4, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #514 of 1,195
Lucky you guys! Couldn't bring myself to splurge on a Yggy, so trying out a vintage R2R first... Angstrom 200 for me.

Right now I am going Yggdrasil or Gungnir?

I owned an Angstrom 200 digital processor-preamp years back that was just magic. I keep wondering what Mike Moffat's stuff sounds like today.

The Gungnir almost makes sense, but I am not sure there will be much WAF for a 25lb $2300 dac.  SIgh.

I was looking at an Angstrom 200 on eBay! Scoured the Internet for any reviews (found none) or technical specs (found none). Can you confirm that it is R2R? Any comments on audio quality?

May 4, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #515 of 1,195
I have no idea what DAC was in the Angstrom or whether it was a R2R DAC.  I really wasn't into which chips were used back then.  All I can say is that it was the best sound quality I had heard and owned at that time coming from the digital realm.  I found it comparable to several Theta models I had auditioned. But you know what they say about audio memory.  I have no idea how it stacks up against today's $3.5-4K processor dacs.  The characteristic I remember most was voices when I used it for movie DVD playback.  They were strikingly real like they were in the room with me. 

May 5, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #516 of 1,195
Thanks. I just bought an old theta, but I had been looking at an Angstrom which would've cost less and had an optical input... The theta hasn't arrived yet but I already regret it a bit because I don't have any Coax sources and that's the only input on the theta. Just wanted to feed my Liquid Carbon well!!!

Probably would've been better off getting a headphone that can be balanced XD

May 7, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #517 of 1,195
Absolutely.  :D
I'm one of the idiots that helped crash the server when ordering went live.  Getting in on this amp order was a no-brainer for me.  Even though I haven't heard the amp.

My goal is to get a yin-yang in Cavalli sound.  The Liquid Fire for the hybrid style yin.  And the Liquid Carbon for the solid state style yang.

Im with you buddy. That liquid fire is calling me!,,

You do know that this is what Dr. Cavalli ordered !:D
sell 500 hundred units and they are Cavillified.!

May 8, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #518 of 1,195
Im with you buddy. That liquid fire is calling me!,,

You do know that this is what Dr. Cavalli ordered !
biggrin.gif

sell 500 hundred units and they are Cavillified.!

Unfortunately for your calling the Liquid Fire is out of production.  Replaced by the Liquid Crimson.
If you're looking for a Liquid Fire you'll have to find one used.

I haven't heard a Liquid Crimson yet to know how different or similar it is to the Liquid Fire.
The good news though is that you can get a used Liquid Fire and a new Liquid Carbon for less than the cost of a new Liquid Crimson.  Consider it money saved.

May 8, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #519 of 1,195
Money saved!
Theta was just delivered, I think I'm going to get a HiFiBerry and an optical-to-coax converter while the former is in the mail. I'm saving money compared to buying a Gustard interface :wink:
Seriously though... PM-2's may arrive around the same time as my Liquid Carbon. The LC will probably be my endgame Solid State amp, only tube and electrostat will tempt me further :wink:

May 8, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #520 of 1,195
Unfortunately for your calling the Liquid Fire is out of production.  Replaced by the Liquid Crimson.
If you're looking for a Liquid Fire you'll have to find one used.

I haven't heard a Liquid Crimson yet to know how different or similar it is to the Liquid Fire.
The good news though is that you can get a used Liquid Fire and a new Liquid Carbon for less than the cost of a new Liquid Crimson.  Consider it money saved.

Im looking for that used fire?

May 8, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #521 of 1,195
Im looking for that used fire?

I had to get mine used as well.  It was out of production by the time I decided I really wanted one.
Good news is that I suspect more LF's will hit the market once more Liquid Crimson's get shipped.

May 8, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #523 of 1,195
There is truly a magically quality of the new LC. Somehow, in the past 30 days since I pre-ordered, there is a new set of XLR cables and a new DAC on my desktop. Both just magically appeared! I bet a new set of cans show up next! Best $599 I ever spent!

May 8, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #524 of 1,195
  There is truly a magically quality of the new LC. Somehow, in the past 30 days since I pre-ordered, there is a new set of XLR cables and a new DAC on my desktop. Both just magically appeared! I bet a new set of cans show up next! Best $599 I ever spent!

LOL.  Well done.

Care to share which DAC did you get?

I can relate...  new XLR cables also magically showed up in the mail last week, as well as a new TH900 from Massdrop, and currently shopping for new DAC to pair with the LC... even though I already have 3 perfectly fine DACs tucked away in storage somewhere.

I started out looking at budget options like the Emotiva Stealth or the Cambridge DAC Magic plus, both of which have balanced outputs, but now seriously considering the W4S DAC-LE or going full-retard on the W4S DAC2 DSD SE.   This LC is magical indeed, and I don't even have it yet :)

May 8, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #525 of 1,195
All these cable and DAC makers really should pay a percentage to Alex for his "stimulus package", to the head-fi economy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back