Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available
May 11, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #541 of 1,195
Quotephones

So you felt the HD800 "brightness issues" were not a problem with the LC?

Thanks

The "brightness issues" of the HD88 have a lot to do with the stock cable. A good aftermarket copper cable will reduce the brightness and increase the bass. I have a Charleston Cable Co. OCC cable and a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable and both give a more balanced sound in comparison to the stock cable. And running the HD800 balanced will usually improve the sound somewhat. I sold my stock HD800 cable soon after receiving the phones.

With the LC you will be able to use your phones balanced or unbalanced, so you will be set. If you want an aftermarket cable, check the For Sale forum here, as they are listed pretty regularly. If you buy used and don't like it or don't hear a difference, you should be able to resell and not lose much money. Moon Audio and Norne Audio also sell cable and parts separately if you can build your on cables, although the Sennheiser connectors are somewhat of a pain to work with (as are most of the plug-in headphone connectors).

May 11, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #542 of 1,195
If it was me, Id rather go on tube route if you need extra warmth for the hd800. The DNA Sonnett was great in that term(when I used to have them). I did not hear any notable difference in cables though (stock and SAA Endorphin, not sure if it was copper though). But every person is different... :) Id only purchase cable for special termination.

May 11, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #543 of 1,195
  Quotephones

So you felt the HD800 "brightness issues" were not a problem with the LC?

Thanks

The "brightness issues" of the HD88 have a lot to do with the stock cable. A good aftermarket copper cable will reduce the brightness and increase the bass. I have a Charleston Cable Co. OCC cable and a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable and both give a more balanced sound in comparison to the stock cable. And running the HD800 balanced will usually improve the sound somewhat. I sold my stock HD800 cable soon after receiving the phones.

With the LC you will be able to use your phones balanced or unbalanced, so you will be set. If you want an aftermarket cable, check the For Sale forum here, as they are listed pretty regularly. If you buy used and don't like it or don't hear a difference, you should be able to resell and not lose much money. Moon Audio and Norne Audio also sell cable and parts separately if you can build your on cables, although the Sennheiser connectors are somewhat of a pain to work with (as are most of the plug-in headphone connectors).

Yeah putting a better cable on helps , but the brightness issues are mostly due to how Sennheiser voiced these headphones

(I'm being nice when I call what Sennheiser did "voicing"; as it's the 800s that are voicing the music to suit the way it wants the music to sound )

May 12, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #544 of 1,195

Possibly. But you are right the 1.5W is for balanced out. SE out will be 1/4 of that. With balanced connection you might have a good result.

I think that someone brought a 560 to CanJam and we borrowed a balanced cable from HiFiMan. IIRC, with that rig he was very happy.

Quick follow-up to this Q&A:  Is the 1.5W max power estimate continuous power or a peak power estimate?

May 14, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #546 of 1,195

Well, I've never heard the treble issues the T1 is supposed to have either...  Of course I've only heard them on one amp so far, my BH Crack.  

+1.

Superb combo that. 

Also have a Liquid Carbon ordered. Can't wait!

May 14, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #547 of 1,195
My apologies if this has already been explained elsewhere. I couldn't find it in this thread. 

My order number is #645. When approximately should I be expecting to receive my order? Is it a problem that the number is greater than 500? 

May 14, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #548 of 1,195
  My apologies if this has already been explained elsewhere. I couldn't find it in this thread. 

My order number is #645. When approximately should I be expecting to receive my order? Is it a problem that the number is greater than 500? 

I think order numbers started at around 398; Also order numbers are including other CA amps that might have been ordered during this period.

May 14, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #549 of 1,195

I think order numbers started at around 398; Also order numbers are including other CA amps that might have been ordered during this period.

Are we aware of any rough ETA with this? 

May 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #551 of 1,195
Are we aware of any rough ETA with this? 

Right, in the first post of this thread Alex announced that the release would be approximately 4 months from the beginning of preorders. Preorders began at the tail-end of April, so the first commercial Liquid Carbons should come out between late July/ early August (plus shipping).

May 14, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #552 of 1,195
It's actually been one month today since I ordered. Only three months to go. (I hope)!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back