Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available
Apr 30, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #496 of 1,195

Absolutely.  
biggrin.gif

I'm one of the idiots that helped crash the server when ordering went live.  Getting in on this amp order was a no-brainer for me.  Even though I haven't heard the amp.

My goal is to get a yin-yang in Cavalli sound.  The Liquid Fire for the hybrid style yin.  And the Liquid Carbon for the solid state style yang.

I would like to hear the HD600 LF combination again and compare to the HD600 LC combination. Maybe next meet that works for your making the trip up after the fall delivery.

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #497 of 1,195
  I would like to hear the HD600 LF combination again and compare to the HD600 LC combination. Maybe next meet that works for your making the trip up after the fall delivery.

Absolutely.  I'll bring both amps to any future meets.
The Liquid Carbon may finally force me to get a balanced cable for the HD600.  I'm assuming that the HD600 are going to want the extra power and goodness of the balanced headphone output with the LC.

I get a big kick out of the Liquid Fire and HD600 combo.  But an even bigger kick with the LF and LCD-2 combo.  Soooo gooood.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #498 of 1,195

The Concero HD is a top notch DAC and very compact. It's a little pricey for a plain jane box, but you can't argue with the performance and size.

No xlr output kills it for me. That was the #1 option on MY list.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #500 of 1,195
  No xlr output kills it for me. That was the #1 option on MY list.

I haven't had a chance to hear it but the HRT Music Streamer HD gets some good reviews. XLR outs. I would have bought one for LC if I didn't find a good deal on the Concero.

http://www.hirestech.com/product/?pid=116

There is one on sale at amazon at the moment too...

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Streamer-Digital---Analog-Converter/dp/B00B4YBX1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430431096&sr=8-1&keywords=music+streamer+hd

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #501 of 1,195
+1

I'm not even convinced the XLR is all that essential to SQ but at this price it ought to be there for resale value if nothing else.

If it's there I'll use it.

You are not convinced, but I am. I have an Oppo HA1 and what a difference between SE and balanced. 4x power and if you have planars, this makes THE difference. :)

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #502 of 1,195
I haven't had a chance to hear it but the HRT Music Streamer HD gets some good reviews. XLR outs. I would have bought one for LC if I didn't find a good deal on the Concero.

http://www.hirestech.com/product/?pid=116

There is one on sale at amazon at the moment too...

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Streamer-Digital---Analog-Converter/dp/B00B4YBX1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430431096&sr=8-1&keywords=music+streamer+hd

Thanks but I already pulled the trigger on a Hegel HD12.(check out my new avatar):wink:

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #503 of 1,195
Right now I am going Yggdrasil or Gungnir?

I owned an Angstrom 200 digital processor-preamp years back that was just magic. I keep wondering what Mike Moffat's stuff sounds like today.

The Gungnir almost makes sense, but I am not sure there will be much WAF for a 25lb $2300 dac.  SIgh.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #504 of 1,195

I owned an Angstrom 200 digital processor-preamp years back that was just magic. I keep wondering what Mike Moffat's stuff sounds like today.

The Gungnir almost makes sense, but I am not sure there will be much WAF for a 25lb $2300 dac.  SIgh.

Awesome to hear. Just snagged an Angstrom 200 and waiting on it to ship up here. Wondering how many electrolytic caps it has in it, and if I should be worried about their life. Anyway it'll be my first r2r DAC... Kind of a pre Yggy test.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #505 of 1,195

I can't afford the yggy and the Gungnir is way overated in my opinion. I had to buy a dac in the middle of these two. It has the Smaller footprint too.
Check out the new avatar.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #506 of 1,195
Awesome to hear. Just snagged an Angstrom 200 and waiting on it to ship up here. Wondering how many electrolytic caps it has in it, and if I should be worried about their life. Anyway it'll be my first r2r DAC... Kind of a pre Yggy test.

Great find.  You will like it.  I wouldn't replace caps right away.  Try it out and see what happens.  I will be very surprised if you aren't impressed.  If you're not, change the caps.  I suspect it would pair well with a Liquid Carbon.  But then it might make any amp sound good.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #507 of 1,195
I can't afford the yggy and the Gungnir is way overated in my opinion. I had to buy a dac in the middle of these two. It has the Smaller footprint too.
Check out the new avatar.

Well we agree on one thing, we can't afford Yggy. Actually I suppose I could if I could picture a $600 Liquid Carbon Amp and a $2300 DAC driving a pair of CIEMs.  Total mismatch. 

Just what do you find over-rated about Gungnir?  There are certainly a lot of fans and good reviews.  And I can assure you Mike Moffat knows how to design DACs.  Plus Schitt has a 15-day free home trial. If it really is over-rated I can return it. I have time yet to decide since I am not going to buy a DAC until the LC is nearly here.

At the end of the day I haven't heard either of the Schitts or the Hegel.  I'd like to but I doubt there's a dealer anywhere near Northern Idaho (actually there is a dealer in nearby Montana about 250km from here).  From the reviews I have read and studying the Hegel website I wasn't overly impressed but I'm open to hear what I missed.   I know this is a Cavalli LC thread but the issue here is what might pair well with it.  What tipped the decision for you to the Hegel HD12?  I'll have to say I like its looks and size. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #508 of 1,195
You are not convinced, but I am. I have an Oppo HA1 and what a difference between SE and balanced. 4x power and if you have planars, this makes THE difference. :)

Are you confusing the difference between the single-ended DAC output and single-ended output in a balanced amp? I agree you shouldn't be throwing away power from a balanced amp when most headphones only need their cables re-terminated to take advantage of balanced mode. In head to head comparisons with balanced DACs, the Concero is every bit as good. Not sure why you think the Gungnir is overrated, it holds its own against much more expensive DACs, has a good feature set, and a nice build quality. Anyway, enjoy your new DAC.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #509 of 1,195
Damn, I knew I shouldn't have read this whole thread.

I caved. Ordered myself a Liquid Carbon :)

Already have enough headphone amps but figured why miss out on this gang bang especially when I can get that Cavalli sound for such a killer price. I just don't see myself splurging on a LAu or Liquid Crimson anytime soon and the stars are even further aligned in that the LC is probably all the Cavalli I need since my entire collection of headphones as well as those on my wish list are fairly efficient ones that make the Liquid Carbon more than adequate to drive them. I did enjoy listening to the Ether and Alpha Prime driven by the LC at Mr.Speakers' AXPONA table so it's not exactly a blind purchase.

Now August/September is still a long time away but for those who are already shopping around for what DAC to pair with the LC, have you also considered the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus? Like the Emotiva, it seems to tick all the boxes; balanced outputs, variety of digital inputs including USB, and nice twin Wolfson 24-bit DACs.

Same price as the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 too so tough call. A friend has a DC-1 but had reliability issues in that his died within a few weeks of use. Luckily it was bought from Amazon so they sent him a replacement which has been fine since. But this is enough for me to make me lean more towards Cambridge Audio.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #510 of 1,195
Are you confusing the difference between the single-ended DAC output and single-ended output in a balanced amp? I agree you shouldn't be throwing away power from a balanced amp when most headphones only need their cables re-terminated to take advantage of balanced mode. In head to head comparisons with balanced DACs, the Concero is every bit as good. Not sure why you think the Gungnir is overrated, it holds its own against much more expensive DACs, has a good feature set, and a nice build quality. Anyway, enjoy your new DAC.

Im not confusing anything. I feel the balanced opens up my planars and makes them sound much better than they do in SE. As to the Gungnr, I had a hard time dstinguishing between the Gung and the Bifrost(which I did own). Alot of dacs hold their own against much more expensive dacs.ex. the Hegel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back