Cat-Fi
Dec 21, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #376 of 1,408
the thing is you guys are talking about highly domesticated cats through the breeding process. cats are strictly carnivores. hence the carnassial tooth still present. quite capable of eating raw meat but not the best idea at home. i mean if they had too.the best cat foods have no grains and a actual animal as the first ingredient. not a byproduct. problem is these foods are $45+ for a 15lb bag. chocolate can kill a dog or cat within hours of ingestion. as well as asprin. i would in general be careful what people stuff i gave animals. that being said most of the worlds cats eat friskies and 9 lives and get on just fine. for a house cat any product labeled actual cat food should suffice. of course there are different grades of it just like human food. there is ground round up to fillet mignon. don't be fooled by some pictures though. usually the finest cat foods come in a plain paper bag. since they are made by very small companies. i am not telling anyone they need to feed that though. that is entirely up to you.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #377 of 1,408
Are you folks familiar with this site? It's just full of cute pictures and videos:

http://lovemeow.com/

I apologize if someone already posted it--haven't had time to read all 26 pages of posts!

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #378 of 1,408

Quote:
Are you folks familiar with this site? It's just full of cute pictures and videos:

I apologize if someone already posted it--haven't had time to read all 26 pages of posts!

Hasn´t seen that before ::wink:

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #379 of 1,408
Aww, thank you! Something to do today :D

Quote:

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #380 of 1,408
I've considered putting the cat on a raw food diet.  Still might, but she gets Iams and Fancy Feast wet food.  I also share chicken with her once or twice a week when I eat it.  Thing is, my family and I have had a number of cats who live 15-20 years and eat regular cat food.  It seems that adequate food, plenty of water, shelter, and occasional vet visits keep them going.

If everyone can keep a secret, I'm planning to buy Birdie some kind of kitty condo for Christmas.  I think she'd enjoy a little carpeted hideout.

There's a Target, Wal-Mart and a Petsmart in town.  Any recommendations?  Nothing too big, just a little place to sneak into.  

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #381 of 1,408
I had the perfect one in mind up until "Nothing too big", haha. My girlfriend recently purchased a really nice condo from Pet Supplies Plus (might be a local chain here) and it's rather big. But her two cats love it. It's roughly 78" tall and has multiple levels and 'houses'. I'll have to snag a picture of it.

As for what you are looking for, just check construction materials to make sure Birdie can't/won't tear it to pieces. I tend to look for how the carpet is attached and to make sure there are no nails or staples the cats can hurt themselves on. Many of the taller units will have rope wrapped around the posts to give cats something to scratch on instead of the Ethan Allen sofa. Any of those stores will probably be ok, but for the cost, and if you have time, a DIY condo is many times cheaper.

Quote:
If everyone can keep a secret, I'm planning to buy Birdie some kind of kitty condo for Christmas.  I think she'd enjoy a little carpeted hideout.

There's a Target, Wal-Mart and a Petsmart in town.  Any recommendations?  Nothing too big, just a little place to sneak into.  

A question for everyone: Do you have problems with cord chewing kitties? If so, how do you combat it? Also, what all have you done to "kitty-proof" the house? I just moved in, so I want to make sure I have a safe environment for my next cat. I've never really had to think about either issue before, and none of my cats have really chewed on cords.  Thanks!

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #382 of 1,408
Thanks!  I might give Birdie a big tree/condo to enjoy, but I'll probably DIY it once the shop is together.  I just want a little hideout that will be cozy with bosdy heat during the cold winters here.

I haven't had a cord issue with Mai Tai or Birdie.  They're exceptionally well-behaved.  Mai Tai showed a little interest in the HD-800 cable, but I kept diverting her to actual cat toys and she "got" the message.  If your cat shows interest, get it a few toys and stop listening and play with the cat using legitimate toys.  My experience is that cats actually want to please you.  Give them something fun (catnip helps) and they'll choose it instead of cables.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #383 of 1,408

Quote:
Thanks!  I might give Birdie a big tree/condo to enjoy, but I'll probably DIY it once the shop is together.  I just want a little hideout that will be cozy with bosdy heat during the cold winters here.

I haven't had a cord issue with Mai Tai or Birdie.  They're exceptionally well-behaved.  Mai Tai showed a little interest in the HD-800 cable, but I kept diverting her to actual cat toys and she "got" the message.  If your cat shows interest, get it a few toys and stop listening and play with the cat using legitimate toys.  My experience is that cats actually want to please you.  Give them something fun (catnip helps) and they'll choose it instead of cables.

My experience with cats is that they weant to give you an idea they are obedient. But let them run free for some days you will soon notice a certain cat not being allowed upstairs taking liberties and all sudden there is a cat licking on the cake on the dinner table she would never attempt with anyone nearby :wink:

Love the innocent look they give afterwards doing something bad. Me???? Don´t have to yell or anything they know the rules. I guess this is the difference to a dog. He is pleased pleasing you the cat only do it to avoid consequences or get some rubbing or warm knee to sleep on :p.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #384 of 1,408

Quote:
Aww, thank you! Something to do today :D

Be careful--it's easy to spend a lot of time looking at cute kittens! They are on Face Book, too. If you "like" them you'll get daily updates of new pics/videos. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #385 of 1,408
the best condo i saw on amazon. make sure there is not a ball on a rope inside the cubbie hole. or cut it off. they can get strangled. i only had kittens chew cords. amazingly they put teeth marks in them but did not get to bare wire. if you have an issue "split loom" tubing is the answer. home depot has more for less money than radio shack.

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #387 of 1,408
This is Joannie, I've posted her pic here before. I dropped her off at the Vet's this morning for surgery tomorrow. without going into detail she tore a ligament in her left hind leg. The alternative is to just let it heal but the consequences of that is discomfort and early onset of arthritis, not an acceptable 2nd choice in my opinion. She'll be home Thursday.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #388 of 1,408
I hope everything goes well. I think I need to take Mr. Sophie in. He's not making the jump onto the bed all of the time now. He's getting on in years for a pure-bred with other health issues though. I'll go snap a new picture of him to post.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #390 of 1,408
I'm thinking about getting a Bengal Cat, but I was wondering how do they fare with dogs, and whats their general temperment like? If you guys have any suggestions for cats that get along with people/pets and are low maintenance feel free to post (I don't really want to join a cat forum 
tongue.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back