Casework: Share Your DIY Enclosures
Jul 11, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #316 of 400
WOW I like the lines! As expected, another fine job Joel!
910.gif

What are your plans for the colour scheme?

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #317 of 400
ZK - what are you planning on doing with the top as far as finish? Also, how are you attaching the top to the rest of the case? I'm trying to figure out what to do with the top of mine.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #318 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are your plans for the colour scheme?

Thanks Jeff! No I’ve not decided on the color scheme yet. I’ll check the auto paint aisles see what color combo catches my eye
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZK - what are you planning on doing with the top as far as finish? Also, how are you attaching the top to the rest of the case? I'm trying to figure out what to do with the top of mine.

Top plate will be painted with high heat enamel then poly/lacquer top coat. I’m using head screws to mount the top plate to corner triangle blocks with nut inserts.

cornermoount.jpg

If the wood case was a hard wood, the quick easy way is tapped holes to the case fame like I did the CTH top lid.

img6802.jpg

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #319 of 400
Ahh, nice. Another question. I made a frame for the "panel" for the top of the DAC enclosure I'm making. I thought the miters were tight but when i turned it over after gluing, turns out there's a small gap at one joint. Any way to hide/fix it?

EDIT: The frame is made of 1x2 birch so you have an idea of the size of the joint. The gap is probably on the order of 1/32".

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #321 of 400
Search this thread for "goop" in a posting by me. I posted near the beginning the method I use which works very well.
Quote:

Ahh, nice. Another question. I made a frame for the "panel" for the top of the DAC enclosure I'm making. I thought the miters were tight but when i turned it over after gluing, turns out there's a small gap at one joint. Any way to hide/fix it?

EDIT: The frame is made of 1x2 birch so you have an idea of the size of the joint. The gap is probably on the order of 1/32".

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #323 of 400
I've found that the best is to mix it on a scrap of something and apply the "paste" to the work. Work it into the joint as well as you can; the deeper the better. Too much glue and it won't match. Too little and it will just flake away. you're looking for something the consistency of drywall spackle.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #325 of 400
I've not used tung oil, but Boiled Linseed Oil works well so I suspect Tung will work well too.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #326 of 400
Make a good little pile of sawdust (easy if you have a jointer or belt sander), further grind the dust with you fingers, pestle or a small blender, then use a toothpick or paper clip to force glue into the gap, then push in the sawdust. The hope is that the glue will adhere on the bottom, and leave mostly wood exposed. You can repeat the process, then sand back down. This will help give the most uniforn finish surface especially with oil finish.

I save almost all my exotic wood dust in coffee cans, so I always have something close.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #327 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I save almost all my exotic wood dust in coffee cans, so I always have something close.

That's a great idea.

Hmm, If you have enough, I wonder if you could have someone press some of that into board form? Might be a REALLY interesting pattern/grain.

Then again, maybe not. Still, might be an interesting piece of material for sure.

jk

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #328 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a great idea.

Hmm, If you have enough, I wonder if you could have someone press some of that into board form? Might be a REALLY interesting pattern/grain.

Then again, maybe not. Still, might be an interesting piece of material for sure.

jk

Yeah, I probably have 2-3 lbs of rosewood, koa, limba, walnut and pine (plywood) dust in my shop vac, sadly along with a little bit of aluminum shavings, but, if someone wants it, I'll certainly send a big baggie full.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #329 of 400
Quote:

does it take a finish well? i'm going to use tung oil.

tung oil even takes to Liquid Nails and epoxy
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back