Casework: Share Your DIY Enclosures
Jul 14, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #331 of 400
Cheers ana1995 & holland
smile.gif

oneplustwo, miter joints are really tough to perfect. The glue/sawdust mix definitely works well in filling those stubborn miter gaps... Is it possible your saws may need recalibrated? Should really help a lot to minimize those miter gaps in the future.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #332 of 400
I think the saw is fine. I think my miter gauge might be lacking. I just got the rocker sled with the kickass fence so hopefully it will be better from here on out. Need to make sure the sled is square and the other setup is good. Then I think it should be fine.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #335 of 400
Buffalo 32S with volumite, XLR, RCA, headphone out, optical in. Not quite done yet... Gotta finish up some wiring.

Poplar case, birch top, both finished with a few coats of tung oil.

Still haven't figured out the top exactly. I'm thinking about just laying it on top or putting some pieces in so it lightly press fits inside (the panel hangs down below the surface of the casing.)

3728276380_efc142719a_b.jpg

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #337 of 400
I've been busy at work and it has been difficult to find any spare time lately. Anyway last night I got to spend a couple of hours with casework. I've wired the TREAD already which will supply the DC voltages for the VU meter, vu buffer boards (L + R) and the LED for the bulgin switch.

Here are some pics of my Bijou case progress.

Using external blue LED instead of the built-in meter lights.
zkbijouvumeterblue.jpg

Two coats of sandable primer, sanded, then two light coat of semi-gloss enamel (aluminum tone)
zkbijouprimepainted2.jpg

zkbijouprimepainted1.jpg

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #338 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Two coats of sandable primer, sanded, then two light coat of semi-gloss enamel (aluminum tone)
[

Looks great, looking at that last shot its hard to believe it is mdf.

How did you apply the paint, spray cans or spraygun and how durable is a painted finish?

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #339 of 400
Thanks forte. Ideally a spray gun is better but I don't have one and just use spray cans. The brand I use is Tremclad (high heat variety, auto grade) which is actually more durable than regular types. I also like to add a final coat of semi-gloss acrylic polyurethane which adds additional protection and hardness to the mdf.

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #340 of 400
Here are two pictures of my coming M³ case.
You see the top and the bottom side/back of the case.

In the background on the pic with the case you can see the cnc-drilled stainless steel frontpanel.

Hope to post the finished project in about 2 weeks.
And - I know - the pictures are horrible
frown.gif

I'll make better ones of the finished amp

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #343 of 400
zkool448:

re: "I've been busy at work and it has been difficult to find any spare time lately. Anyway last night I got to spend a couple of hours with casework. I've wired the TREAD already which will supply the DC voltages for the VU meter, vu buffer boards (L + R) and the LED for the bulgin switch.

(pics)"

Are those grooves in the front sides/corners done with a bowl & tray router bit?

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #345 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
zkool448:

re: "I've been busy at work and it has been difficult to find any spare time lately. Anyway last night I got to spend a couple of hours with casework. I've wired the TREAD already which will supply the DC voltages for the VU meter, vu buffer boards (L + R) and the LED for the bulgin switch.

(pics)"

Are those grooves in the front sides/corners done with a bowl & tray router bit?

dbfreak, I think that's what that bit is called. You can see the same bit I used from my CTH build log here when I worked the top lid.

BTW I just finished my case, I'm cross-posting the pics here since this is a casework thread afterall
smile.gif

Top view, really tried to keep the wires as neat as I could but it's just not my stong suit.
zkinternaltopview1.jpg

Shot of a pair of vu meter buffer/divers from JLM audio
zkinternaltopview2s.jpg

Finished the top lid with plenty of vents, and it also fits nicely! Time to put my tools away and take more pics.
zkbijouglamoursmv3.jpg

Closer look at the top lid, my hymble ayyempt to mimic a “brushed” look
zkbijouglamoursmv2.jpg

View from the back, installing the neutriks are so painless, I think I’ll keep using them
zkbijouglamoursmv4.jpg

..and finally enjoying some music. Cheers!
smile.gif

zkbijouglamoursmv0w.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back