Casework: Share Your DIY Enclosures
Apr 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 400

zkool448

100+ Head-Fier
I thought I'd start a casework thread as I've not yet seen one dedicated to DIY housings/enclosures. Basically we can share some of our builds and progress here for those thinking about DIY’ing their own, and also to see a few ideas from others.

Please share some of your homemade metal, wood, acrylic, etc enclosures (or any other designs you've built) either before, in-progress, after pics, drawings, How To's, etc. Perhaps some Q&A discussions regarding tools, milling, cutting, recessing, drilling holes techniques, etc.. Pretty much anything relevant to all DIY enclosures, including internal wirings and connectors you've used for your PS, amps, DACs, speaker cabinets, etc.

I'm no expert in building amp housings, just a newb with limited skills acquired through woodworking and bit of luck to have access to a small shop with enough tools. I’ll start with the few DIY amps I recently finished in the last 3 months:

Millett Starving Student Hybrid (Amp 1)

ChMLBZh.png

NnxWfc7.png

xjfRdeN.png

Millett Starving Student Hybrid (Amp II)

DyRIY5m.png

irfcFti.png

LygPV0t.png

K6IaLWa.png

7ACtuUE.png

Cavalli Audio SOHA II

EHHsHWF.png

J14Hf3t.png

IYWwnPy.png

SPnSlMx.png

Cavalli Audio CTH (Compact Hybrid Tube)

... Completed (2009-May-24). Link to my build log.

jBFAmEI.png

fwMbmf2.png

AvqbrbU.png

Cavalli Audio All Tube Futterman Bijou (The Jewel)

... Completed (2009-July-23)

Concept:
402sd65.png

lEwGEvE.png

Nj9RFau.png

cLPjcPm.png

P5wGxgQ.png

uBJXEon.png

6eIKuyY.png

aCOqp85.png

More pics of final build here, and vu meter video clip.

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 400
Both look amazing!!! I especially like the second one, but the first has a beautiful clean look.

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 400
His limited (woodworking) skills are better than most people's extensive skills. The woodworking part isn't teribly difficult if you have the proper tools. the difficult part is having the artistic creativity to envision an attracive and interesting case. You, sir seem to have most of our shares of that particular ability while most of us have to settle something somewhat less artistic.

Awesome work there.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 400
I personally think that your case work, zkool, is some of the best I've seen regardless of origin.

What could help people is to perhaps share how you made some of the cases, and what tools you used, and what techniques. In the first build, you have wonderful clean, straight edges. How did you do that? How did you achieve the consistent rounded oblongs around the heatsinks?

I have an idea how you did that, but please share you experiences!

I would love to see a comprehensive "how I did this" for the SOHA case, featuring dirty, dirty shop pictures. Perhaps a bit on finish as well.

This thread here diyAudio Forums - A 'how to' for High Gloss Finishing - Page 1 is a good step-by-step guide how to achieve a good, high gloss finish.

If you did something similar for casework, you'd achieve godhood, nearly.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 400
Both posters... That is some very creative and gorgeous case work! You got talent.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 400
Such a humiliating process... me overcompensating for lack of skill by using expensive material - Bolivian Rosewood in this case.

rose4.jpg

rav.JPG

All my other builds are in my sig - casing is not my strong suit.

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 400
A case I completed a few months ago for my HK Citation 12:

p1040702mediumnt0.png

p1040709mediumxr0.png

p1040760mediumpf1.png

p1040739mediumcn6.png

p1040796mediumfe9.png

p1040777mediumae4.png

p1050092.jpg

p1040840mediumdp4e.png

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 400
I couldn't cut a piece of wood to save my life... even with the right tools.

Beautiful work!

Looking closely at the SOHA II case, the top piece... what is that made out of? Is that wood also? Just like the black SS case, they have a metallic look to them.

I love the second SS case because it has that, oh what is called... art deco? That look from the 20s/30s era.

I second the thought of HOW you made them. Hoping you took pictures during the process.

Once I complete my Mini3, I hoping to try a SS myself... if I can get my hands on those tubes.

I would be interested possibly buying a case from you... hand made by you.
I know that I couldn't pull that off myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back