Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Feb 3, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #76 of 2,728
I know this is subjective, but from the photos posted here I think they have an appearance about them of cheap headphones. A clumsy-looking design but just overall look cheap. Of course I know photos are not holding the thing in ones hand, but those photos do not to my eyes in any way shape or form look like $800 headphones. That feeling was only reinforced by the photo of them on the mans head! They look (again, to my eyes) awkward and very cheap-looking. They also have one of those awful headbands that shouts out zero thought given to it’s design/appearance. Just like that utterly ridiculous AKG N90Q headband (also the B&W P9, which I own but would never wear outside!) where only the top point touches the head and the rest veers out horizontally.
But obviously from the preceding comments here, I am pretty much alone in these thoughts!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #78 of 2,728
The headband design reminds me of the NAD HP50, the design of which led me to sell mine.

I just don't get the 'cyberman' look of the headband. Even NAD seem to have altered their design for the upcoming HP70, with the headband more closely following the shape of the head.

I don't mind wearing 'odd' looking headphones at home but when I am 'out and about', design plays a bigger part....If this is portable, then it is badly designed.

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #79 of 2,728
I agree. I didn't like the design of the HP50 also when I tried them so I'm not sure if I like the design of these also.

But we shall see when I try them in a mirror :p

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #81 of 2,728
I agree. I didn't like the design of the HP50 also when I tried them so I'm not sure if I like the design of these also.

But we shall see when I try them in a mirror :p
Yes, the design of the NADs is a bit weird, but the sound is really good. I have switched to balanced and I do not use them lately.
I was bought into the design of the B&W P5, but that was all, nice design, comfortable, warm but not detailed sound. I still owned them, but they are in their box.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #84 of 2,728
I can’t even compute how the guy with multiple $1k+ headphones in his signature is complaining about a new headphone costing $799. Unless you’ve heard them and think it’s a rip off there’s positively no other reason for you to be on here complaining about them

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #85 of 2,728
Just my opinion, but there are some companies that just put out ugly looking headphones. These include Audeze, Hifiman, Mr. Speakers, Stax, and now this model. The headband here looks awkward, and the headphone itself just looks like some kind of half baked kickstarter project. Fair enough if you want to charge a lot for a high end item, but please try and make them look like they're worth the money.
One headphone with the right build quality, looks, sound quality, and price ratio right is the Meze 99 Classics. Just a joy to own.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #86 of 2,728
I hope it sounds good, because the way it is now, the design is kinda ugly, especially when worn and it look too much like a PC headset. For $800, the design has to match the sound. Assuming it sounds good.
A3.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #88 of 2,728
The inevitable “oh what a ridiculous” price whining when something new comes out. They operate a business and worked hard on designing and building it. I am not cynical enough to believe they are out to rip people off. Let them be proud of their creation and enjoy success. No one seems to whine about Apple and the $1K phones, a phone you will replace in one to two years anyway, and the billions of profits they make - enough wealth for another 1,000 years and back.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #89 of 2,728
Very tempting, really want to see how this compares to mr,speaker AFC

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #90 of 2,728
I think that everyone is forgetting that design is really subjective. I mean there are best practices in design, do’s and don’ts to follow, but for the most part industrial design is subjective and will call out to certain people over others. We all have the right to say we don’t like something because of the way it looked, but don’t confuse that with it being a bad design choice. The Cascade follows the same look as the iem line which is something I’m sure they wanted to go for.

I agree it is a little chunky looking and I would like to see a more comfortable looking headband, but we won’t even know if it’s uncomfortable until we actually get to try it ourselves or get enough impressions to give a good idea :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back