Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Feb 3, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #91 of 2,726
799$? Good luck with that.
Guess we just have to await the reviews and let the koolaid factor subside...but $799 isn’t a bad price if it sounds great...esp considering so many cans in the $1500-3000 mark...I think campfire is smart with this price point given they have no track record with cans, and are leveraging their item reputation.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #92 of 2,726
If you look close at the headband padding, there is more in certain areas to the left and right of center vs. farther out (where the extenders are). It's really hard to go by appearance alone, give them the benefit of the doubt that this is their first full size over ear offering, a reputable company, they know they have to get it right. I have a hard time thinking they didn't test it extensively for comfort issues. In reading that long review from Japan that I'd translated, they said the ear cups, band, and weight were all very comfortable. My concert is their extending down far enough, to reach my ears on my head.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #93 of 2,726
I'm assuming you mean for a portable headphone? If they sound as good as beyerdynamic t5p 2nd gen and isolate sound better then they'll be well worth the $ (fingers crossed!)

Audeze SINE great reviews, better design, half the price.

Mr speakers aeon closed, same price, great reviews, also planar magnetic, not the same kind of cheap small dynamic driver of every other headphone out there.

Honestly I don't see the 799$ justified.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #95 of 2,726

Mr speakers aeon closed, same price, great reviews, also planar magnetic, not the same kind of cheap small dynamic driver of every other headphone out there.

SINE is uncomfortable as hell though, and I'm not sure the size of the driver is as important as the quality, tuning, and implementation of the driver. Moreover, these aren't your standard mylar dynamic drivers. This is the same driver type that is used in the Utopia, so the possibilities are there. Whether or not it's well-tuned and implemented remains to be heard.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #96 of 2,726
SINE is uncomfortable as hell though, and I'm not sure the size of the driver is as important as the quality, tuning, and implementation of the driver. Moreover, these aren't your standard mylar dynamic drivers. This is the same driver type that is used in the Utopia, so the possibilities are there. Whether or not it's well-tuned and implemented remains to be heard.

It’s not at all like the utopia. Utopia is pure Beryllium and uses a patented/novel shape. These are Beryllium layer-coating on something. Still a good design but certainly less expensive to produce.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #97 of 2,726
Guess we just have to await the reviews and let the koolaid factor subside...but $799 isn’t a bad price if it sounds great...esp considering so many cans in the $1500-3000 mark...I think campfire is smart with this price point given they have no track record with cans, and are leveraging their item reputation.

Still it is pricey given that it is their first introductory product.

Current competition is bucking 2-3k trend down, and again it is bringing down prices like a rock. HifiMan recently sold he560 at $350 and their new products are rather cheaper around 500. The Aeons are sold at 800. Lcd2c was sold at 600. Elear was brought all the way down from 1000 to 780. I believe Clear will be sold around 1000 soon, and already its street price is somewhere around 1200. And nobody buys hd800s at 1690.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #98 of 2,726
It’s not at all like the utopia. Utopia is pure Beryllium and uses a patented/novel shape. These are Beryllium layer-coating on something. Still a good design but certainly less expensive to produce.

Of course. I'm just saying it's not as simple as saying "large drivers = better sound". Within the category of dynamic drivers you've got all kinds of other factors that determine quality beyond just the size: Mylar, Bio-cellulose, Beryllium etc. And then there's also motor structure, damping, diffusion, cup shape, pads, not to mention the tuning of the driver. If it were just the size of the driver that mattered, we'd all just get the SHP-9500 and call it a day.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #102 of 2,726
I guess the best thing would be to wait for a response from Ken! Those posts were quite a while back so the plans may have changed and they have no plans to release a non-crystalline diamond one? We'll see.

Either way, really excited to see these finally release.
Fair point! I can see how Ken might not want to disclose any plans at the moment (why gimp the Cascade sales?) So I'll keep my fingers crossed. It's just that the idea of a non-crystalline diamond dynamic driver in a closed back starts a tingle in my cojones :-D

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #103 of 2,726

Sine is on ear and sounds best with Apple products from what I've read and I've heard the aeon flows multiple times and I honestly don't like how they sound...I owned t5p.2 for awhile and I loved those hps but sold them bc they leaked to much sound and didn't isolate well, so for ME if cascade sounds close to what t5p.2 sounds like then I'm buying a pair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back