Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Jul 19, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #1,216 of 2,728
Cloth pads vs Leather Pads on my amateur measurement rig:
Cloth%20Pad%20Test.jpg

This is cloth no tuning filter vs Cloth with 1T filter. I like it with the 1T filter.
Cacade%20cloth%20filter.jpg

They sound pretty good to me with the cloth pad and the 1T filter. More treble, lass bass than with leather, but still good impact. It opens up the sound-stage and makes overall clarity better. Not as fun for rap/EDM as the leather, but a better overall sound to me. 1T filter seemed to increase bass by 1-2 dB. This is more effect than it had for me on the leather pads. Well done Campfire & Ken! Cascade really hits the spot for crazy goofballs like me that like to mess with pads/tuning filters, etc. Fun.

There is more 5k energy with the cloth....on the leather pads the 5K bump on the Freq response is highly dependent on the angle with which the pad rests on my coupler. If I force the driver to be perpendiculer to the mic and compress the back of the pads, the 5k appears with the leather; however if I let the pad rest naturally at an angle (like I normally would), there isn't much of a 5k peak with the leather. The cloth exhibits similar tendencies, but the effect is not as large (Peak only changes by about 2 dB w/ Cloth, vs about 6 dB w/ leather).

I'm just a casual hobbyist, please don't take my measurements too seriously.

Nice, the cascade with the cloth pads is like what I have with leather applying a -3dB LSF starting at 500Hz on my DX200. I will definitely get the cloth pads. By the way, the cascade sounds least boomy (without applying any EQ) with DX200. It makes me think that most other sources really have highlighted low-end response. especially, LPG which I have to drop the bass to get to the same level as a -3dB in DX200. QP2R and DX200 is about the same and beginning to believe as my reference for flat response.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #1,218 of 2,728
The tour unit Cascade returned home today and I am happy to report the only damage sustained was a tear at the bottom of one of the pads where the folded headphone rubbed the pad against a corner. I think the fact that these have now been through a meet with multiple users, then out on tour for several months with the PO even managing to lose them in the process for two weeks with only minimal cosmetic damage is a testament to how well built these are. I would have absolute confidence in giving these to my daughter to carry around campus in a backpack. (For those who don't remember, my daughter, in her earlier years, was a headphone's worst nightmare).

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #1,219 of 2,728
then out on tour for several months with the PO even managing to lose them in the process for two weeks with only minimal cosmetic damage is a testament to how well built these are.

Glad you finally got them back. Thanks again for the tour.

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #1,220 of 2,728
I am really liking the 1T filter and the cloth pads. Brings a bit better balance to the sound signature while still retaining reasonable isolation and to my wife's delight, the cloth pads don't seem to leak substantially more than the leather

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,222 of 2,728
Did anyone test the new pads at canjam London?
I have the same question, plus:
Did Ken bring the promised bigger leather pads? (not sure if a prototype even exists at this point in time...)

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,223 of 2,728
Did anyone test the new pads at canjam London?

I have the same question, plus:
Did Ken bring the promised bigger leather pads? (not sure if a prototype even exists at this point in time...)

Yes and yes. Fabric pads give the Cascade a more even tonality, losing some of the bass and bringing it more towards neutral (still not neutral though). Also feels a little more open in terms of soundstage.

The prototype of the bigger pads were there too - they take a little bass away due to pushing the drivers further from the ear (if I remember my chat with Ken correctly), but at genuine over ear size so add to the wearing comfort. He did say they had a tweak to make on them so they weren't "final", but both offer noticeably different comfort and fit options to go with the filters. Personally, I'd plump for the bigger pads when available, as the fabric pads lose a little of the unique character of the Cascade for my preference, but I can see purple looking for a more neutral/natural tone absolutely loving them.

Think they will add extra appeal to an already great headphone.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,224 of 2,728
Yes and yes. Fabric pads give the Cascade a more even tonality, losing some of the bass and bringing it more towards neutral (still not neutral though). Also feels a little more open in terms of soundstage.

The prototype of the bigger pads were there too - they take a little bass away due to pushing the drivers further from the ear (if I remember my chat with Ken correctly), but at genuine over ear size so add to the wearing comfort. He did say they had a tweak to make on them so they weren't "final", but both offer noticeably different comfort and fit options to go with the filters. Personally, I'd plump for the bigger pads when available, as the fabric pads lose a little of the unique character of the Cascade for my preference, but I can see purple looking for a more neutral/natural tone absolutely loving them.

Think they will add extra appeal to an already great headphone.
Thanks for the info! Definitely looking forward to the bigger pads myself... Maybe Ken would have them in time for RMAF in 10 weeks or so...

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,225 of 2,728
Hey guys. I recently had to sell off all of my audio gear due to a family situation and that included my beloved Cascades. What that means is that I have an almost new SXC 8 cable available if anyone is interested. It is terminated in 4.4mm balanced. I'd be willing to let it go at a pretty significant discount. Hope you guys are enjoying the Cascade. I can't wait until I can own it again.

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #1,227 of 2,728
Does anyone know the length of the sxc cable...I cannot find it listed anywhere?

Thanks in advance.
Strange - I just looked on their website, and you're right... no length mentioned!

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #1,229 of 2,728
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,230 of 2,728

Users who are viewing this thread

Back