Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #1,231 of 2,728
I've been using the cloth pads for a couple days, and I like them, there is a reduction in the bass and my ears breath more. At the beginning they were a little itchy, but after a couple hours of break in that goes away. I like the idea that the cascade are very customizable for comfort and sound, the pads + filters give more options than most headphones, but I think the main advantage is that the base is solid (drivers and coups) and that allows all the customization with high quality sound.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,233 of 2,728
I've been using the cloth pads for a couple days, and I like them, there is a reduction in the bass and my ears breath more. At the beginning they were a little itchy, but after a couple hours of break in that goes away. I like the idea that the cascade are very customizable for comfort and sound, the pads + filters give more options than most headphones, but I think the main advantage is that the base is solid (drivers and coups) and that allows all the customization with high quality sound.

I agree... I'm loving the new clothe pads, even with the slight reduction in bass these are still incredibly engaging cans. I am looking forward to the larger pads to add another level of customization.

I have been able to avoid pad rolling for a long time on my other headphones, now I'm starting to question if I've done myself a disservice?

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,234 of 2,728
I agree... I'm loving the new clothe pads, even with the slight reduction in bass these are still incredibly engaging cans. I am looking forward to the larger pads to add another level of customization.

I have been able to avoid pad rolling for a long time on my other headphones, now I'm starting to question if I've done myself a disservice?
I asked myself the same question after I changed the pads on my old OppoPM3s and was really surprised in how different the sound can be when using other pads.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #1,235 of 2,728
laughing at people who are currently spending +$2k on the Sennheiser HD820 when the Cascade exists...

Why would you be laughing at anyone who gets the HD820's?

I imagine that the sound signature is very different.

I love my Cascades, but also enjoy the nightowl tremendously. Still enjoy my Meze 99c, and sometimes even enjoy the TR80/250 (under $100 brand new nowadays) and the M50X (under $150).

The senn HD820 is definitely on my "to buy" list, and I imagine I'll continue to love the Cascades even when having the HD820's. My "hope" is that the HD820 will have the larger soundstage to enjoy classical orchestral pieces in a closed headphone. Right now, only the HD800 has the expansiveness I seek for that type of music, which means I have nothing in a closed headphone that comes even close. If the HD820's do, that's a win, and it takes nothing away from the awesomeness that is the Cascade for a significant portion of my music.

Jul 28, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #1,236 of 2,728
Different cans have different strengths and limitations.

CIEM/UIEM - portability, isolation, comfort and top notch clarity. However, Staging and depth perception is really lacking even on TOTL iems compared to heaphones and by extension a speaker setup.

Closed-back headphones have better staging/depth compared to iems but often the sound feels cogested/closed in.

Open-back headphones are ideal cans that can have top level clarity, detail and depth/staging. But portability and isolation is 0.

I find the cascade got all the best attributes of the types I mentioned above combined in a portable enough package. May not the best on each attribute but very closed to top notch level. The combination makes it my daily driver no matter where I am for the last few weeks

Jul 28, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #1,237 of 2,728
Different cans have different strengths and limitations.

CIEM/UIEM - portability, isolation, comfort and top notch clarity. However, Staging and depth perception is really lacking even on TOTL iems compared to heaphones and by extension a speaker setup.

Closed-back headphones have better staging/depth compared to iems but often the sound feels cogested/closed in.

Open-back headphones are ideal cans that can have top level clarity, detail and depth/staging. But portability and isolation is 0.

I find the cascade got all the best attributes of the types I mentioned above combined in a portable enough package. May not the best on each attribute but very closed to top notch level. The combination makes it my daily driver no matter where I am for the last few weeks
That’s very well said!

With what DAP do you listen to the Cascades when on the go? I‘ve got the Calyx M DAP but am considering to upgrade next year to the new LPG Touch, that’s why I would like to know how they pair with your LPG, because I guess that the sound signature of the new model won’t be night and day compared to the LPG. Thanks.

Jul 28, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #1,238 of 2,728
That’s very well said!

With what DAP do you listen to the Cascades when on the go? I‘ve got the Calyx M DAP but am considering to upgrade next year to the new LPG Touch, that’s why I would like to know how they pair with your LPG, because I guess that the sound signature of the new model won’t be night and day compared to the LPG. Thanks.
With my LPG the low end is too much. Overpowering but very articulate and no sign of distortion. Bassheads will find this combo mouthwatering.

I had to apply a -9dB LPF centered at 500Hz and Q value 1 on LPG’s PEQ to get it to my desired bass level. Even at this point its still powerful and very solid. Reminds me of planar-like bass.

On QP2R only need around -5 dB cut for all the bands under 500hz on its simple gEQ. I find this combo the most detailed rendition, very close to my ciems like iSine 20 and NT-6.

However, I like it the most with my DX200 using UAPP as the player with the tone booster’s awesome PEQ as plug in. Here I only need -3dB cut on the low end and in my opinion gives the best of all the attributes I mentioned above. That is why with the cloth pads I expect would give me the desired level without using EQ at all ob DX200.

Too bad the cloth pads are not available yet in SG. I hope ai can find it in Tokyo next weekend when I get there

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #1,239 of 2,728
I have to say, the best and simplest match-up for me has indeed been with the Questyle QP2R via balanced (w/lqi cables 2.5mm-terminated HD800 cables) at medium gain. Bass becomes less boomy, the mids become more natural, and the great aspects and clarity of the Cascade shine through. Second best is the ALO V5/AK120II rig (though can't quite explain why it sounds so darn good given the tubey involvement).

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,240 of 2,728
Well I never find the cascade boomy even with that enormous bass boost. Its just overpowering like standing next to a 10ft tall bass speakers I see in a club. But still maintains that tightness and very solid

My idea of boomy bass is the beyer T1 applying even a small amount of bass boost or powered by a weak source which sounds like muddy soaked in molasses. The bass sound big but very soft.

Jul 28, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #1,241 of 2,728
Maybe "boomy" is not right word here, how about "overly prominent" or "slightly intrusive." I think the Cascade is a great headphone but in my experience some sources don't bring out the best in it. It seems pickier in that regard than some might think.

Jul 28, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,242 of 2,728
Maybe "boomy" is not right word here, how about "overly prominent" or "slightly intrusive." I think the Cascade is a great headphone but in my experience some sources don't bring out the best in it. It seems pickier in that regard than some might think.
Thats what the cloth pad is supposed to do. Allow cascade to better match sources that have bass emphasis. I believe cascade sounds best on a perfectly flat source. On my DX200 I can even enjoy the powerful bass with EQ off. That’s how good Cascade is with bass reproduction. Most headphone can quickly sound boomy or bloated even with small bass boost

Jul 28, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,243 of 2,728
I don't use the tuning pads as I feel they "dampen" the mids (and I've tried every pad denomination numerous times). I like the Cascade sound in its pure form but know to avoid warm-sounding DAPs/amps. I think the Cascade are wonderful headphones (keepers), make no mistake.
CCa

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #1,244 of 2,728
I don't use the tuning pads as I feel they "dampen" the mids (and I've tried every pad denomination numerous times). I like the Cascade sound in its pure form but know to avoid warm-sounding DAPs/amps. I think the Cascade are wonderful headphones (keepers), make no mistake.
CCa
This I agree, I find most headphones need a matching source to sound their best. Only the Cascade and the iSine so far I find responding very well when EQed. Hence, I can say both are source agnostic.

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #1,245 of 2,728
I have to say, the best and simplest match-up for me has indeed been with the Questyle QP2R via balanced (w/lqi cables 2.5mm-terminated HD800 cables) at medium gain. Bass becomes less boomy, the mids become more natural, and the great aspects and clarity of the Cascade shine through. Second best is the ALO V5/AK120II rig (though can't quite explain why it sounds so darn good given the tubey involvement).
I'm also enjoying my silver plated 2.5mm balanced cable from lqi. I'm running from a Hiby R6 and the soundstage opened up more than expected, the bass is more articulate, and the highs are presented much better. But if I were to pair it with a pure silver cable and the cloth pads with the 1T filters...my poor wallet :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back