Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Jun 10, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #1,186 of 2,726
I'm a bit surprised a 50mm can have more bass slam than the Sony 70mm. I have a previous 70mm, a shieeetyier version, and when cranked, my brain matter almost spills out. The only other headphone to match it is the JVC's dedicated carbon 55mm dedicated subwoofer in the sz1000.
If that is the case, then I will be paying more attention for the bass impressions on this can :D. Btw the 70mm i have is xb1k, and i know the z1R has a stiffer higher quality cone so i would imagine the potential is higher.

Potential as in EQ'ing the lower end ofc.

EDIT: ***Sorry 42mm.

and yes I should mention the th900 has a higher basshead rating than xb1k/sz1k and has 50mm, so i shouldn't be all that surprised per se :p

but at 42mm, that would be something.
After spending more time with the Sony and playing with filters on the Cascade I want to better explain the differences.

The Sony has great bass with exquisite details. When the music requires it, it can go deep but it's very clean and detailed. On the Cascade the bass is a bassheads dream, deep and impactful. Like being at a concert where you hear and feel the bass. However by doing this, the bass is not as clean and detailed. With the #4 filter in the Cascade, the bass details are improved but still nowhere near the Sony. Maybe Ken can get future headphones to sound closer to the Sony :).

Another reason the Sony might not have the bass impact could be the stock cable which is silver plated copper. Because of that I decided to splurge and ordered the Kimber AXIOS-CU for the Sony. This cable is 16 strand.s of copper and is supposed to improve the bass and treble details. Hopefully I'll have it before next weekend and will provide an update once I have it.

In either case the Sony is my primary headphone for serious listening and the Cascade for everything else.

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,187 of 2,726
After spending more time with the Sony and playing with filters on the Cascade I want to better explain the differences.

The Sony has great bass with exquisite details. When the music requires it, it can go deep but it's very clean and detailed. On the Cascade the bass is a bassheads dream, deep and impactful. Like being at a concert where you hear and feel the bass. However by doing this, the bass is not as clean and detailed. With the #4 filter in the Cascade, the bass details are improved but still nowhere near the Sony. Maybe Ken can get future headphones to sound closer to the Sony :).

Another reason the Sony might not have the bass impact could be the stock cable which is silver plated copper. Because of that I decided to splurge and ordered the Kimber AXIOS-CU for the Sony. This cable is 16 strand.s of copper and is supposed to improve the bass and treble details. Hopefully I'll have it before next weekend and will provide an update once I have it.

In either case the Sony is my primary headphone for serious listening and the Cascade for everything else.
Hmm. Now I'm curious about quality of Z1R bass. Does it have less quantity?

It would be cool if CA is working on an Andromeda type version, but with slightly less mids warmth, and bass, but with that lower-bass resonant sound effects intact. I like sub-bass the most, but not so much slam and mid bass quantity.

It would be funny if Andromeda was a result of BA bass limit, but they wanted more bass. They seem to like lots of bass.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,188 of 2,726
Hmm. Now I'm curious about quality of Z1R bass. Does it have less quantity?

It would be cool if CA is working on an Andromeda type version, but with slightly less mids warmth, and bass, but with that lower-bass resonant sound effects intact. I like sub-bass the most, but not so much slam and mid bass quantity.

It would be funny if Andromeda was a result of BA bass limit, but they wanted more bass. They seem to like lots of bass.
The quantity is there, no complaints. It's just doesn't have the deep slam.

Your hear the deep bass in the Sony. You feel it in the Cascade.

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,189 of 2,726
Well, it's because the Cascade is warm. I've only heard the AFC, and there's no warmth about it and lacking bass. I wouldn't recommend comparing both because Cascades really skews perception of bass once your ear adjusts. But, AFC does indeed lack enough low-end and mid-warmth. A bit lower treble lifted as well. Ether Flow Open is warm, and can perform better at times with the mids, but it does sound a bit too warm that the clarity gets lost at times.

I only compared AFC and cascade because they are both closed. AFO is definitely out for the use case I mentioned, which is portable closed back headphone. I found both to be similar in mids to high (though not exactly the same). Which I enjoy on both. But with the bass, each are on the opposite end.

But at least in my experience, it’s easier to cut the bass by EQ on cascade than raising it (or drop mids and highs) on AFC.

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #1,190 of 2,726
Having a listen to the Cascades driven balances by the DX200 AMP3 module.

Definitely plenty bass but good sparkles in the treble too, I’m tempted to compare this to the Ultrasone Signature DJ as I wonder if they sound similar. I’ve sold my Signature DJ ages ago but may head to the shops to see if I can compare.

8772F37B-3C29-4067-99C4-4DE2D0A2692B.jpeg

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,191 of 2,726
The quantity is there, no complaints. It's just doesn't have the deep slam.

Your hear the deep bass in the Sony. You feel it in the Cascade.

Hmmnn, deep bass (sub bass) is supposed to be felt not much hear it. It just tells me the cascade extends deeper in bass than Sony. Anyway I have never tried the Z1R yet so I can't imagine the difference. For me so far, the Cascade has the deepest, cleanest and detailed bass I heard so far for a dynamic driver headphone (with EQ). I thought it actually sound more like a planar magnetic driver bass than the usual dynamic driver. The level of control is just amazing imho.

The quantity of the bass at stock is really too much and certainly masks some of the details and to an effect may not sound as detailed. But cut the response below 500hz and you will hear all the goodness. To me it's the same experience I had/have with iSine20/LPG with the right EQ. This time the cascade does the same when paired with my QP2R. The simple EQ in QP2 is more than enough to give the cascade the right level of bass slam quantity that is really pleasing to my ears. I think the cascade is not too sensitive with the source as it can sound good as long as it has some competent EQ. I have tried it with my AK240SS. But I think it sound more detailed and clean with my QP2R than on the AK240. I will try more comparison this weekend with LPG and DX200 in the mix.

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #1,192 of 2,726
My AXIOS-CU just arrived and a quick 10 minute listen shows a big improvement on the Sony Z1R. The bass is now much deeper and on certain tracks I can now feel it but it is much more defined and cleaner than the Cascade. But the Z1R and AXIOS cable is $3,097.99 versus a Cascade and SXC 8 cable at $1,148. This makes the Cascade a good buy.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,193 of 2,726
My AXIOS-CU just arrived and a quick 10 minute listen shows a big improvement on the Sony Z1R. The bass is now much deeper and on certain tracks I can now feel it but it is much more defined and cleaner than the Cascade. But the Z1R and AXIOS cable is $3,097.99 versions a Cascade and SXC 8 at $1,148. This makes the Cascade a good buy.
How much is the cable?!

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #1,194 of 2,726
The AXIOS-CU 1.2m for the Z1R with 4.4mm is $798.00. It's expensive but well worth it. The stock balanced cable Sony provides is silver plated copper and neuters the Z1R.

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #1,195 of 2,726
So I purchased one yesterday and unforunately one of the earcups was cut and I had to go back today to get another copy.
Very surprising considering the high praise for all their products quality.

Anyway I am liking this a lot.

audeze el8 open is my main can at home, one more quad iem for commute and I have isine 10 for late night listening on bed. Driving them mostly via my fostex HP-A4BL and my ARM2.

The EL8 and isine10 are both fairly neutral and flat even, I guess this is why they were both critised quite a lot and many prefer to run them with cipher cable which essentially is just EQ.

The cascade is just on the opposite side, it's bass heavy, listening to interstellar OST is just an awesome experience. (In contrast to the very flat presentation from the two audeze products)

The sound stage is surprisingly good, but occasionally the bass can be quite in your face which shrinks the presence of the mids and highs.

I listen to pretty much everything, so far these are doing very well.

If I were to sum up my experience, the audeze presentation is very clean, fast, punchy, you can tune them however you like. The cascade is strong and very rich, designed with a sound signature in mind.

For comfort, it's decent for me. I have small headsize and slightly larger ear (it's better than the el8o)

I do think it's a strange looking headphone for portability but my bigger complaint is that you have to remove the cable to put inside the carrying case.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #1,196 of 2,726
So I purchased one yesterday and unforunately one of the earcups was cut and I had to go back today to get another copy.
Very surprising considering the high praise for all their products quality.

Anyway I am liking this a lot.

audeze el8 open is my main can at home, one more quad iem for commute and I have isine 10 for late night listening on bed. Driving them mostly via my fostex HP-A4BL and my ARM2.

The EL8 and isine10 are both fairly neutral and flat even, I guess this is why they were both critised quite a lot and many prefer to run them with cipher cable which essentially is just EQ.

The cascade is just on the opposite side, it's bass heavy, listening to interstellar OST is just an awesome experience. (In contrast to the very flat presentation from the two audeze products)

The sound stage is surprisingly good, but occasionally the bass can be quite in your face which shrinks the presence of the mids and highs.

I listen to pretty much everything, so far these are doing very well.

If I were to sum up my experience, the audeze presentation is very clean, fast, punchy, you can tune them however you like. The cascade is strong and very rich, designed with a sound signature in mind.

For comfort, it's decent for me. I have small headsize and slightly larger ear (it's better than the el8o)

I do think it's a strange looking headphone for portability but my bigger complaint is that you have to remove the cable to put inside the carrying case.

I see the iSines being called/described by many other than neutral flat. Its bump centered at 1.5Khz is too much to not notice and the scooped bottom around 4.5khz. Neutral certainly is way off without any form of EQ applied.

Like the cascade, the iSines respond well to a decent EQ. But the cascade is far easier to EQ for me, which is by just cutting 500Hz and below by one's preferred level.

Jul 15, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,200 of 2,726

Users who are viewing this thread

Back