Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Oct 27, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #2,582 of 2,737
The vocal fry, fricatives, and vocal+string harmonics are the main place where they bother me. I could just wait a decade until I can't hear that high anymore but I'd rather get better extension instead of spikes, haha.

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #2,583 of 2,737
The vocal fry, fricatives, and vocal+string harmonics are the main place where they bother me. I could just wait a decade until I can't hear that high anymore but I'd rather get better extension instead of spikes, haha.
With the ease you can change earpads with the Cascade it's a shame there are only 3 options. I think different sizes, foams and materials can really tune them in for a lot of people. The tuning filters don't do anything for me at all but there's a pretty big difference between the regular, cloth and XL pads. The cloth pads aren't very comfortable but they offer a different experience and the XL's are amazing for soundstage. I'd love to hear an XL suede pad, like the ZMF suedes.

Campfire! If you're listening! Slight retuning, more pad options, another color option and glow in the dark flourishes. I'll be first in line. Also, same cable but with changeable connectors. I think the Cascade cable is the best cable they make.

An open back Cascade might be cool too

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #2,584 of 2,737
Absolutely, the cable is under-rated. The 3.5mm connector doesn't feet great but the HD800 connectors are absolutely the best version of that termination (better than even Furtech). I hate the cloth on the cable because it snags and gets dirty, but if there was a DCA VIVO-style wrap I'd be all over it.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,585 of 2,737
I am afraid that next step will be the Cascade wireless, with ANC. It has been a big market, and Apple opened the gates for more expensive options. Nowadays there are B&W Px8, Focal Bathys, Mark Levinson... All of them pretty expensive, and I assume they get good profit margins on each of them.

In any case, Cascades V2 really need a headband redesign. All the other suggestions might be welcomed, but headband is a must.

Nov 2, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #2,586 of 2,737
I am afraid that next step will be the Cascade wireless, with ANC. It has been a big market, and Apple opened the gates for more expensive options. Nowadays there are B&W Px8, Focal Bathys, Mark Levinson... All of them pretty expensive, and I assume they get good profit margins on each of them.

In any case, Cascades V2 really need a headband redesign. All the other suggestions might be welcomed, but headband is a must.
I don't think CA is big enough or even interested in putting out an ANC HP. If anything they could collaborate with another party for an aftermarket solution. As far as a new headband, what would be your preferred style? It definitely needs to be redesigned.

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #2,587 of 2,737
Nov 15, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #2,588 of 2,737
Put these back on this week. They really are a lot of fun and the bassiest headphones I have ever owned or heard.

They don't sound great with "fuzzy" or "messy" music. I.E. the Blue Stones new album (Pretty Monster) is a little fuzzy sounding and the Cascades do it no favours. It's like using bass boost with these. Just TOO much.
However the new albums from Larkin Poe and the RHCP's enjoy the extra thump. :L3000:
Although my Radiance are a much more balanced headphone, I think these are entering or have entered the "I will probably never sell them" territory.
I am selling lots of stuff lately, but these have joined the Grado GH2 and the Focal Elex (unless they get replaced by the Clears) as untouchables.

For the jazz fans out there, they do bring a different dimension to your music.

20221115_133244_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #2,590 of 2,737
I finally got to hear the Cascade. The darkest headphones i've ever heard, great sub bass, but high is a big problem in my opinion
If you are talking the high end, get a OCC silver cable. It opens the high up and improves details.

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #2,591 of 2,737
To follow up my previous post, I decided to try something different. I love my iFi and Violectric amps, but they do add a bit of flavour to my headphones, which I do enjoy with most headphones. However, the Cascades come in the door pretty marinated already, sound flavour wise. :smile:

Today I plugged the Cascades into my newest addition, the Rebel amp. It has a very nice sound that is very crisp and clean. I don't think it adds anything to the sound, but the bass is very apparent, if the song has it.

Wow, this is a nice pairing for everything, including the Blue Stones. I was debating on whether to keep this amp, but it might be worth it just for these headphones.
With Cascades, you really don't want to use bass boost, or even a very warm amp for that matter, unless you are a basshead.
I love the Cascades but usually tire of them after a few days as the bass can wear on you. I wonder how far I can go with this combo?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #2,592 of 2,737
So after about five days with the Cascades, I am back to the Radiance headphones. I do love my Cascades, but after several days, it gets a little "thick".
Last weekend the Radiance seemed boring compared to the Cascades. Today the Radiance seem so much more open and clear than the Cascades. The Cascades are dark and Very bassy. I do enjoy them for a few/several days, but then I start to miss open, clear sound with an average amount of bass. It is awesome to have two closed backs to enjoy two very different sound signatures.

And the really clean Rebel amp is a perfect match for the Cascades. This will be my go-to every time I pull these out now. It has tons of power for them, as I can't even get to 11:00 in low gain. While I have been marching to the sound of warm, fun amps for quite a while, and still do, it is nice to have a clean, crisp amp that doesn't seem to add anything to the sound.

As I move lots of gear out, I now realize that the Cascades are never going to leave. They will never be the favourite or see the most use, but they will be pulled out every month or two for years. :L3000:

One thing I have to admit though, these could Never be my only set of headphones. They are just too one dimensional. These are your third/fourth/fifth set. They add range to your collection, but, IMO, couldn't be your whole collection.:smile:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #2,593 of 2,737
The Cascades are dark and Very bassy.
Replace the CA cable with an OCC silver cable. It opens up the highs and soundstage while taming the bass. Or if you still want some of that bass boom, go of a OCC Silver and copper fusion cable.

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #2,594 of 2,737
Replace the CA cable with an OCC silver cable. It opens up the highs and soundstage while taming the bass. Or if you still want some of that bass boom, go of a OCC Silver and copper fusion cable.
I use Hart Audio Cables and am very happy with the performance, and even more so with the conveinence.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #2,595 of 2,737
Random thought: What type of sources is everyone running Cascade into?

I'm finding Cascades not as bassy as I've read -- consdering selling and getting Vega 2020 again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back