Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #2,551 of 2,728
Currently own both the Dorado2020 and Vega2020. Really love the Vega and will probably sell the Dorado.

Curious if the Cascade can bring some of the Vega thick sub bass magic? Or are they closer to the punch and slam of the Dorado?
I have the Vega 2020 and the Cascade. I'd say the Cascade is a bit more V shaped and a tad more sparkly/brighter. I like the Cascade a lot but I love the Vegas. I'd call the Vegas more mature and natural while the Cascades are punchy and fun. Most random people will gravitate to the Cascades for that instant fun factor but for long listening sessions the Vegas are my go to piece of gear (I have a decent selection to choose from). I'm curious to why you are considering getting rid of the Dorados. I haven't heard them but I've been considering them for some time now.

Jul 31, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #2,552 of 2,728
From what you describe it sounds like the Cascade might be closer to the Dorado (V or W shape) than the Vega (L shape)?

No deeper meaning behind selling the Dorado other than personal preference. The Dorado is amazing and I can certanly see why so many people prefer it over the Vega. But to my ears the Vega just sings 😀

Jul 31, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #2,555 of 2,728
Don’t know as I haven’t heard the Cascades (but I guess the answer is yes…)

I wouldn’t call the Vega V shaped. It’s more L shaped with a beautiful bass and laid back (but in no way lacking) mids and treble.
I would say the Cascade is more L shape as you describe than V. The vocal actually sounds really nice on mine. It is not a bass one trick pony.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #2,556 of 2,728
Don’t know as I haven’t heard the Cascades (but I guess the answer is yes…)

I wouldn’t call the Vega V shaped. It’s more L shaped with a beautiful bass and laid back (but in no way lacking) mids and treble.
After doing a little back and forth I have to say the Cascade sounds more impressive on first listen but the Vega is where it's at. I think I'm in that very tiny group where the Vega is literally end game material.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #2,558 of 2,728
I started with the Vega as my end game but now it's the Solaris SE.

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2,560 of 2,728
So i just bought a pair of cascades because an acquaintance recommended them to me. He also told me to remove the white filters off the stock pads and im very impressed! A tad bit sibilant off the n8 but the timbre is quite nice.

Aug 10, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #2,561 of 2,728
I Have a Question about the Filters: Do they darken the sound (1T most 4T least) or will they brighten up (1T least and 4T most)? I´ve read some things about it but it´s not clear to me.

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #2,562 of 2,728
I have my pair for sale within EU if anyone is interested.

I Have a Question about the Filters: Do they darken the sound (1T most 4T least) or will they brighten up (1T least and 4T most)? I´ve read some things about it but it´s not clear to me.

I find 3T filter to be the best after some testing, to me the tonality between mids and highs sounds the most balanced to me, it goes from 1T the most bass and (lower) midrange to 4T being the least bass and least mids and filterless I find it too V-shaped with the mids scooped out too much. Ie. lower number = more warmth, higher number more brightness

Together with this very minor EQ setting on my RME ADI-2 DAC I get pretty good results, I'd say the 240Hz or so spot is ever so tiny bit overpresented giving it an overly "thick" tonality but it works in favor for some genres like say Jazz especially but I'm more of EDM listener personally where I rather trade off some warmth to vocals, instruments for better bass separation and clarity.

Gain: -0.5dB Freq: 84 Hz Q: 0.8
Gain: -1.5dB Freq: 240 Hz Q: 1.2
Gain: +0.5dB Freq: 1180 Hz Q: 0.8
Gain: +0.5dB Freq: 5300 Hz Q: 0.7

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #2,563 of 2,728
I made some further listening I would say:
1T--->2T--->Stock (No Filter)--->3T--->4T

So 1T and 2T are darkening the Signature and 3T and 4T are making it brighter (Mids and Highs are more prominent). So Stock is somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #2,565 of 2,728
Can anyone recommend a good 4.4mm balanced cable option for the Cascades?
Sadly cant rec any. Stock 3.5 is pretty sufficient for me. But you could try norne or plussound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back