Car guys! First car help!
Feb 28, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #61 of 96
A simple tip to buying a car is to buy one that has had the same model for a long period of time. They work out a lot of the defects (if they are a good company) over time whereas new models are often hellish simply because of the lack of time on a vehicle. You buy any car, from a decent company, with a model that has been around ten years with a high ratio of good to bad consumer reports and the test drive fits and your decision will be more fruitful in the long run.

In other words, staying away from new models - like the mustang - is generally a pretty good idea considering the chances that your willing to let it sit in the shop for a while and deal with their defect-checking process.

Then again, some cars are just made better than others are you might get lucky.
If you buy a new car, make sure you get one that is built during the middle of the week, may be able to dodge a couple bullets that way due to avoiding the workers monday blues or friday rush.
biggrin.gif

Course what do I know, I sold my 99 cadillac and kept my 75 buick,
Good Luck

Feb 28, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #62 of 96
After more talking with people, and more reading, and more looking at car ****....the new line-up, in order of preference (pre-test drive):

STi
RX-8/EVO

Why the STi up top? Well, I honestly really like how it looks, and I definetly want a car with a solid reputation for reliability, and that can firmly glue me to my seat.

-Z

Feb 28, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #64 of 96
Have you check the insurance? Looking @ your profile, they will kill you with your choice of cars. I was paying around $1300.00, full coverage for 6 MONTHS policy of honda civic due to having a driver's license less than 3 years and under 25 at that time. It is no fun. Try to call some insurance company, ex: Geico, Statefarm, progressive. They will need to check your credit history but IMO it's worth it to know how much will you be paying for your insurance. At that time, my insurance cost me more than the car financing itself
mad.gif

Feb 28, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #65 of 96
Have you tried doing some research at edmunds.com? They have a forum section where people talk about the pros and cons of cars (esp. the STi vs EVO).

ditto on the G35 coupe. If you want sexy, a entry luxury car with some style has that. The STi and EVO looks young - chances are you'll impress more guys than girls with those cars.

Here's the STi vs EVO thread: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef15c0a!make=Subaru&model=Impreza%20WRX%20STi&ed_ makeindex=.ef15c0a

Feb 28, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #66 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by shafu
ditto on the G35 coupe. If you want sexy, a entry luxury car with some style has that. The STi and EVO looks young - chances are you'll impress more guys than girls with those cars.

Totally true. Apart from impressing girls, G35 coupe and RX8 are definately stylish, elegant, sharp and smart. At my age, mid 30's, I tend to lean toward more finer cars than sheer raw performance. Of course, like shafu said, I believe G35 and RX8 are much more sexier. Besides all these cars listed are fast(G35, RX8) and furious even (STi, Evo, stang GT).

Feb 28, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #67 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
Have you check the insurance? Looking @ your profile, they will kill you with your choice of cars. I was paying around $1300.00, full coverage for 6 MONTHS policy of honda civic due to having a driver's license less than 3 years and under 25 at that time. It is no fun. Try to call some insurance company, ex: Geico, Statefarm, progressive. They will need to check your credit history but IMO it's worth it to know how much will you be paying for your insurance. At that time, my insurance cost me more than the car financing itself
mad.gif

I'll second that. As a 20 year old guy, I wouldn't be surprised if you were paying $200-250 a month for full coverage on an STi with a clean record and twice that if you've got accidents and/or tickets.

Feb 28, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #70 of 96
Oh, the Acura RSX is pretty nice looking. Not as good of performance as the SRT-4 for the price, but you get nice looks at least.

Feb 28, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #71 of 96
Zemo-
A few comments:

If you're going to consider the 350z, take a hard look at the G35 Coupe. I hang around a few automotive forums, and the overwhelming opinion from 350z owners is that they'd rather go for the G35 if they had to do it again. Much classier and liveable for the other 6 days of the week.

Evo/STI: If you like the looks, go for it, but stock, they look way too boy-racerish for my tastes. If I ever got one, the huge wing in the back would have to go.

RX-8: Fine choice
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't look purely at the numbers (you're obviously not, since you're going to test drive it). When I drove it, the handling was simply a dream, and there's nothing quite like a high-reving engine. Also, from what I understand, you can chip them for some great gains, and pretty much silence the "not enough power" crowd. Oh: if you buy an automatic RX-8, I will kill you.

Feb 28, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #72 of 96
If I bought an automatic anything, I'd kill me.

I took a look at Insurance quotes from Geico....RX-8 @ around $270/mo, STi @ around $350/mo. Ouch!

Wow...looked at progressive...closer to $200 for the RX-8, $120 for the STi! Rock on!

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #73 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
If I bought an automatic anything, I'd kill me.

I took a look at Insurance quotes from Geico....RX-8 @ around $270/mo, STi @ around $350/mo. Ouch!

Wow...looked at progressive...closer to $200 for the RX-8, $120 for the STi! Rock on!

Call Progressive to make sure there's no suprise when you've bought the car. IME, Geico is usually cheaper than the other insurance. Stay away from Allstate.
Have you ever thought of leasing instead of buying? Volvo offered $229.00 lease p/month (36 month) for their new S40, it got good looks and from what I've read, it also got good handling and enjoyable to drive. It will be a good transition car until you've finished your college, get a job and buy a new one. By that time, your insurance won't be so bad either. You will need a lot and car shouldn't be your first priority for now.

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #74 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
Call Progressive to make sure there's no suprise when you've bought the car. IME, Geico is usually cheaper than the other insurance. Stay away from Allstate.
Have you ever thought of leasing instead of buying? Volvo offered $229.00 lease p/month (36 month) for their new S40, it got good looks and from what I've read, it also got good handling and enjoyable to drive. It will be a good transition car until you've finished your college, get a job and buy a new one. By that time, your insurance won't be so bad either. You will need a lot and car shouldn't be your first priority for now.

Oh, no worries, I've done a fair bit of financial planning. I'm only buying the car after I set aside enough for the next 3 years of college, and food/rent for a year, plus a generous amount for incidentals. Then I've set aside enough for insurance and gas, and a car, plus other goodies (new sub, new camera, etc)

-Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back