Car guys! First car help!
Mar 4, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #91 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
Sti > evo in every sense? Can you explain? This would make my choices much easier...and yeah, you're right, I'm younge, I should live it up!

Zemo, I think Chef medeski made a very clear point about the aftermath of warranty, tuning and its upgrade cost. Of course, their dedication toward many rally programs around the world underlines its heritage unfound in many car makers too. Subaru owners are very loyal to their brands. Again this is NOT my opinion, but the consumers satisfaction rate is very very high for this unusual and quirky brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by car and driver mag
According to JD power and associates, 48% of Subaru owners buy another subie. That might not suggest remarkable dedication, but among japanese brands, only Toyota, Lexus and Honda have a higher retention rate. Moreover, brands such as Acura, Audi, Infiniti, Nissan and Porsche all trail subaru in brand loyalty.

Those numbers don't lie. All those people are not stupid thus proves their conviction about solid engineering, smart packaging and performance value ratio. You don't have to take my word for it, but the vast number of happy subies.

Now in STi/Evo comparo, I think the STi looks bit more mature than the japanese counterpart. Oh boy! Don't I love those deep racing blue just like the SWRT. Now that's smart marketing in fusion with racing and brand recognition. The Evo look is way too toyish for me. Another thing about Mitsubishi is that it feels like a souped up Hyundai. Yikes!

Second, I rather drive a car with 6 World Rally Championship titles than mere 2nd places. That's a trophy winning team. I guess it's like the difference between Porsche and Ford. No offense to Ford. But they just can NOT win any race except the 3 time LM wins 30+ years ago. Pretty sad that they still brag about it.

Importantly, my love professes toward the boxer engine construction. Anyone who driven boxer (horizontally opposed) engine will know its distinct robust feel and mechanical snarl. Only other manufacturers to use this unconventional motor is namely Porsche in 911s, BMW motorbikes, and Ferrari in BB and TR series. I didn't want to make it sound like an exclusive club, but that's the reality.

Relentless dedication of Subaru toward all wheel drive technology in street car is unsurpassed by any other automakers. Subaru was the first company ever to employ permanent 4wd system in their entire line-up. Even Audi didn't commit to this kind of visionary movement in car making. You have to pay for the 'quattro' option in audi.

Lastly, I don't work for Subaru nor have any affiliation to this private organization. When I look at a car my first habit is to look at the chassis and engine. These 2 components are the most crucial and important how car behaves and feels. Obviously Subarus have very good reputation for solid and rigid chassis. Because of its structure and reliability I've seen many subies passing 150-200k miles mark with ease.

The bottomline is it's a fun car suited for younger crowd. Make sure you get it in that electric blue w/ bbs gold rims like the official racing color. You'll have plenty of years to drive more elegant cars in life. If I was 20, the STi is the choice of my gun.

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #94 of 96
What are you guys going to do when gas goes to $2.50 a gallon this summer, $3 next summer, $3.50 the summer after that, until our prices are at parity with the rest of the world?

So, yesall these fast cars are pretty - but chances are you'll be crying pretty soon. The era of the SUV is about to end - until they come out with SUVs that can get 30 mpg.

So, what kind of gas mileage do these exotic cars get?

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #95 of 96
http://automobilemag.com/reviews/sed...sti/index.html

Here's a comparo of the two cars that typify most of the reviews I've read. STi has the heritage and perhaps better looks/material/interior while the EVO is a better peforming car, although slightly. I read somewhere else that the STi has a better AWD system - there was a test where they put the cars on a split surface, one wet on the left side, dry on the right. The STi had almost the same 0-60 times where as the EVO was significantly slower than on 100% dry. Me, I would probably get a Subaru just 'cause the EVO sounds like it rides harsher plus it's a Mitsi - the car company that is practically going under.

As far as gas milage, the STi gets about 18/24. Not the greatest, but the more standard WRX I think gets roughly 30 if I'm not mistaken.

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #96 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
My choice was the STI was it not. Maybe faster was the wrong word to use. STI is 100% speed, TL is not. My point, doesn't matter what words are bolded.

What are you talking about? I only bolded the words because you claimed the RX-8 and TL were faster than the STi, and they are not. Then you say the STi is 100% speed...evidently you know it is faster so what confused me was why you said the Mazda and Acura were faster. At any rate, it's not an issue, just so everyone is not misinformed and knows that the STi would easily win in the speed category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back