car-fi
Jan 23, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #121 of 1,421
holy smokes i love the rx7! that would not happen to be an r2 or r3(it has a wing)?
do you know what you can do with that car! the rx8 is such a shame after that car. that car was lotus' biggest fear at the time.

skyline, two things. first the key to the longevity of -any- car is how you take care of it! it does not matter what car you have. if you do not take care of it it will show for sure. german cars seem to be more prone to coming apart when not taken care of then other cars though. that leads me to number two. with german cars you usually pay up front instead of later. they are high and expensive maintenance cars. if you do the proper maintenance in fact usually less stuff tends to break than a lot of other cars.
with other cars there is less, and less expensive maintenance but they tend to not be as trouble free. let me stress the maintenance schedule! people find this out,tend not to do it(especially if it is a lease) and then dump the "clunker" they have created on someone else! sorry about that. i doubt yours is a shining example in fact. the e320 is a fine car for a fine price. try to get one with a written history and less than 85,000 miles.

those cars will run 200,000+ miles without a rebuild, trust me i know. really most modern cars will though. honestly a mb(especially amg),bmw(especially m),audi(especially s) are more costly to operate. if you want the true luxury it just costs more like every other luxury item. it is not good for a starving college student for instance. since many are given to go to college with and then fail during, or shortly after.

here, slam the doors,hood and trunk on that mb. then try it on a cadillac of the same year and even a lexus of that vintage. you will hear and feel the quality. it took caddy and lexus at least 5 more years to catch up to that.

for each year they were made they represented state of the art at that time. that '94 is the technical equal of some $35,000 cars today!

if you have some time go to a mb dealer. look at the "new" e-class. to see what they are up to now. you will understand what that car must have been like in '94. the new e has more features than my s-class amg! if only it made toast. mmm. toast!

music_man

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #122 of 1,421
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holy smokes i love the rx7! that would not happen to be an r2 or r3(it has a wing)?
do you know what you can do with that car! the rx8 is such a shame after that car. that car was lotus' biggest fear at the time.

music_man

Haha thanks. R1s were 93s and R2s were 94s (mine is a 94), but it's not an R2, those never had sunroofs. I'm actually not sure what trim it is, it's kind of hard to tell all these years later. I don't think it's a touring model because it doesn't have the heavy Bose system, so maybe it was the PEG package or something.

I've been in love with FDs for as long as I can remember and finally got one in November, haven't had much time to do anything with it. They are a hell of a car though, this one has 360RWHP and will run mid 11s in the 1/4. Previous owner used to beat Ferraris around the track in Monticello so it handles amazingly too.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #123 of 1,421
Quote:

skyline, two things. first the key to the longevity of -any- car is how you take care of it! it does not matter what car you have. if you do not take care of it it will show for sure. german cars seem to be more prone to coming apart when not taken care of then other cars though. that leads me to number two. with german cars you usually pay up front instead of later. they are high and expensive maintenance cars. if you do the proper maintenance in fact usually less stuff tends to break than a lot of other cars.
with other cars there is less, and less expensive maintenance but they tend to not be as trouble free. let me stress the maintenance schedule! people find this out,tend not to do it(especially if it is a lease) and then dump the "clunker" they have created on someone else! sorry about that. i doubt yours is a shining example in fact. the e320 is a fine car for a fine price. try to get one with a written history and less than 85,000 miles.

those cars will run 200,000+ miles without a rebuild, trust me i know. really most modern cars will though. honestly a mb(especially amg),bmw(especially m),audi(especially s) are more costly to operate. if you want the true luxury it just costs more like every other luxury item. it is not good for a starving college student for instance. since many are given to go to college with and then fail during, or shortly after.

here, slam the doors,hood and trunk on that mb. then try it on a cadillac of the same year and even a lexus of that vintage. you will hear and feel the quality. it took caddy and lexus at least 5 more years to catch up to that.

for each year they were made they represented state of the art at that time. that '94 is the technical equal of some $35,000 cars today!

if you have some time go to a mb dealer. look at the "new" e-class. to see what they are up to now. you will understand what that car must have been like in '94. the new e has more features than my s-class amg! if only it made toast. mmm. toast!

music_man

Thanks for the tips! I'm not exactly a starving student but I just can't bring myself to buy a fairly new car and have it sit on jack stands for half the year, collecting dust in a garage.

I really like the '94-95 E320 and can pick one up for about $5-6k but I'm just worried about reliability. My aunty had a '00 E320 for a couple years and the car spent most of its life at the dealership for repairs. This being one of the last handmade Mercs, I'd assume I'd run in to less of that and I don't mind routine repairs but I also wouldn't want to sink more into repairs than what the car's worth either!

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #124 of 1,421
The RX7 rocks but I was always too afraid to buy one. In some ways there is nothing to be afraid of, you are going to have to rebuild it and have new rotor tips at some point, just budget for it I guess!
biggrin.gif

It weighs hardly anything which gives a great leg up before you even think about the motor! I love high revs, a motorbike with four wheels!

It is a shame the RX8 was so pathetic, it is like driving a hairdryer
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #125 of 1,421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RX7 rocks but I was always too afraid to buy one. In some ways there is nothing to be afraid of, you are going to have to rebuild it and have new rotor tips at some point, just budget for it I guess!
biggrin.gif

It weighs hardly anything which gives a great leg up before you even think about the motor! I love high revs, a motorbike with four wheels!

It is a shame the RX8 was so pathetic, it is like driving a hairdryer
frown.gif

It's all about how they're taken care of. They don't like being messed with, and if one little thing goes wrong they'll likely let you know. There are guys on the RX7 forum pushing 450HP and driving them daily for years without having to rebuild the engine.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #127 of 1,421
Quote:

oh dude keep the mb really. a 2007 is still a fairly new car too. even a 20 year old mb,bmw or audi is a great car. well thats just me i love german cars.

some people say everything breaks or whatever. my experience is just the opposite. the things are completely overbuilt imo.

i know what you mean about small though. i had a gt2 for a few months and got out of it. it was insanely small but it is a race car not a sedan. heck, it even had a roll cage installed at the factory as an option. which made it even more uncomfortable. the other problem was the tires went up in smoke at every stop light even if you did not want to lol.

music_man

Yeah i also love german cars, everyone in my house owns one. I guess i'm up for something "different." I'm asian, and as racist as it is, they all drive imports and luxury german cars, i've always liked trucks and it would just be something you don't see everyday. As sad as that is. =PP i'm eyeing a 2010 ford f150 harley davidson edition at the moment. I'm currently awaiting credit approval on it, if everything goes right i'll be enjoying my bada55 truck!!

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #128 of 1,421
I know a guy who has a Lotus Exige, but I didn't see him this week -- I think he's working on a supercharger mod, he said last week.

As for RX7's, I like the FC and FD style, FD more. They look like such nice cars, it's too bad that some people don't take care of them. I once saw a FD being flatbedded away, to a repair shop would be my guess.
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #129 of 1,421
i had a built r2 and i blew it the night i bought it. the seal between the rotor halves blew.
they told me not too play with the dial-a-boost too much oops. it was too much to fix it because it turned out to be built by a kid. so i sold it after almost a year of sitting for 1/3rd what i paid
frown.gif

i blew several built mustangs and a built vettes and a v8 sb fiero as well. those days are behind me.

now i drive a fatory big sedan that can do low 11's. honestly though i am that a@#! that drives under the speed limit all the time. i just think it is cool to have if you ever might need it. i would not want this car more than two years it could be a repair nightmare. i do drive it in 15" of snow because i am of the age that we never had fwd or awd! it was something you learned. i had a 1960 lesaber back then and it took a little bit of skill but we all managed. i laugh my but off when i see someone get stuck with awd!

i am skilled at racing but i don't do it on the street. or on the track anymore for that matter. i kind of feel like taking the big merc just to see what everyone with compacts and mustangs thinks lol. i didn't just drag though i did road courses as well back in the day. i heard they won't let the amg's on the strip unless they have a rollbar installed! yeah, i am going to put a roll bar in it doh.

the $5k benz you very may well put more than $5k into repairs in 3-4 years. i don't know what to tell you. that has depreciated to the point where it could be a repair issue. it is an old car. when it was newer like 5 years old it was very decent.

pepsi, the f150hd is my favorite truck. i like hd. well, old ones.

music_man

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #131 of 1,421
very true. i have laid down 8 second runs back in the day with american muscle. those did not lock up good either!
my current car mb states runs like 11.8. that even would be rather hard given the heft of this car. car and driver claims they did 11.3! i don't doubt it. some of those guys are highly skilled. i wouldn't ever attempt that on the street with any car. let alone with the whale i am driving now. i have not even floored my car since i have owned it. in fact i have not even lit the tires except a chirp by accident.

i am older but i am not a geezer. thats not why i don't drive hard. i do it because i feel i am responsible. i see people that are older racing their 911's and m5's it does not impress me. these teenagers with the built sti's scare me. most of them could not handle opening that car even though it is awd.

music_man

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #133 of 1,421
this is my 07 Mustang. sorry for the crappy pic. it's filthy from weeks of rain(gotta love SETX in the winter lol) and i took it with my cell phone. i had just installed the rear and and side lovers. i also previously added an axle back exhaust, larger intake and new engine tune. future plans are t-lok and a turbo.

17837540174304760559004.jpg

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #135 of 1,421
Quote:

with german cars you usually pay up front instead of later. they are high and expensive maintenance cars. if you do the proper maintenance in fact usually less stuff tends to break than a lot of other cars. with other cars there is less, and less expensive maintenance but they tend to not be as trouble free. let me stress the maintenance schedule! people find this out,tend not to do it(especially if it is a lease) and then dump the "clunker" they have created on someone else! sorry about that. i doubt yours is a shining example in fact. the e320 is a fine car for a fine price. try to get one with a written history and less than 85,000 miles. those cars will run 200,000+ miles without a rebuildn

all true, and good advice. you can see this documented in detail not just in your savvy neighbor's garage, but on the never boring blog by mr jalopy: hooptyrides.blogspot.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back