car-fi
Nov 11, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #1,411 of 1,421
These are my two mini vans after having 1 kid.

I used to have 1 mini van with the base 911.

During covid I bought what I thought was my "dream car" a base 911 non turbo and in NY it was not that fun to drive, for one after 30 minutes your back is starting to ache, for two, there are speed cams in NY all over the place. Thank god I only lost 3K USD after 3K miles despite having bought it brand new.

Thank god for the used car market going bonkers.
I drive an SUV now for the same reason. No more low cars for me. I need more room and easy to get in and out at a higher level. I see why people ride trucks, but I like SUVs better. Just think 90's Japanese cars are classic in visual design, and of course their reliability. They are made to last, which is important.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,412 of 1,421
These are my two mini vans after having 1 kid.

I used to have 1 mini van with the base 911.

During covid I bought what I thought was my "dream car" a base 911 non turbo and in NY it was not that fun to drive, for one after 30 minutes your back is starting to ache, for two, there are speed cams in NY all over the place. Thank god I only lost 3K USD after 3K miles despite having bought it brand new.

Thank god for the used car market going bonkers.
Lol yeah, thats one thing they don't tell you about some of these sports cars.

Its a bit undignified to get in an out of and those porsche clutches are super stiff. Gonna have one beefy left leg.

Installed a rear sway bar on my car. Man she handles nice.

20231027_152047.JPG
20231017_121841.JPG

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,413 of 1,421
Lol yeah, thats one thing they don't tell you about some of these sports cars.

Its a bit undignified to get in an out of and those porsche clutches are super stiff. Gonna have one beefy left leg.

Installed a rear sway bar on my car. Man she handles nice.

It's simple. When you young, no problem gettin in and out of a dream sports car. When old, it's not like when you were young gettin in and out of awkward spots. lol Also, the comfort of the ride, stiff suspension sucks on normal road that are not smooth. There's no reason why you should daily drive a stiff suspension. It's something kids do. This is why I'm sure trucks are popular for practicality these days.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #1,414 of 1,421
It's simple. When you young, no problem gettin in and out of a dream sports car. When old, it's not like when you were young gettin in and out of awkward spots. lol Also, the comfort of the ride, stiff suspension sucks on normal road that are not smooth. There's no reason why you should daily drive a stiff suspension. It's something kids do. This is why I'm sure trucks are popular for practicality these days.
The stiff suspension will be uncomfortable on rough roads but will offer much better handling. I'll take the better handling.

Theres a secret to driving on rough roads so its not jarring, drive slower.

Its not just what kids do its what car guys do. I think Jay Leno would agree.

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #1,415 of 1,421
The stiff suspension will be uncomfortable on rough roads but will offer much better handling. I'll take the better handling.

Theres a secret to driving on rough roads so its not jarring, drive slower.

Its not just what kids do its what car guys do. I think Jay Leno would agree.
This was beautifully written because the passion was on full display.

Damn.

*kisses the air*

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #1,416 of 1,421
This was beautifully written because the passion was on full display.

Damn.

*kisses the air*
The things we sacrifice for the things we love.

Unfortunately, comfort usually is the first thing to go out the window when modding cars for performance.

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,417 of 1,421
So I took my car door panels off to apply sound deadener and ccf.

Just want you guys to see how cheap the speakers are in cars these days. I have the premium bose sound system upgrade.

They're a cheap paper cone 3.5-4" speaker. Sounds decent for a stock audio system but nowhere near audiophile level standards. I built a cheap 5 channel sound system in my fiat that sounded miles better than this thats probably worth a fraction of the price. Seems like they're adding more and more speakers to compensate for using poor quality speakers, non audiophiles are easily manipulated into thinking that the surround sound effect equates to better sound quality.

Speakers are 1 ohm and its going to be difficult to find a quality replacement. On top of that the bose amp is integrated with the factory infotainment system which makes it more complicated. And of course theres fake engine noise implemented into the audio system which cannot be turned off. Whoever came up with idea, I'd like to give that person a muay thai roundhouse to the nether regions.

20231111_153945.JPG

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #1,418 of 1,421
opps...duplicate

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #1,419 of 1,421
It's Bose: what do you expect? Most their "high end" speakers have used 3.5" paper cone drivers. Look at the 901s: they need their own equalizer because of the limited FR of having arrays of these mid-sized drivers. Their branding for speakers is focusing on their engineering of reflective audio technology.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #1,420 of 1,421
It's Bose: what do you expect? Most their "high end" speakers have used 3.5" paper cone drivers. Look at the 901s: they need their own equalizer because of the limited FR of having arrays of these mid-sized drivers. Their branding for speakers is focusing on their engineering of reflective audio technology.
Lol its hard to take them seriously as an audio company if theyre using paper cone speakers on "high end" equipment. Would guess those speakers cost about $5 to make.

i expected the speakers to be a normal ohm at least so i could change it out.

Looks like it's not possible without a DSP, aftermarket amps, losing factory integration and some other stuff.

Bose tech ugh, always trying to compensate for crappy sound quality with gimmicks, the "apple" of car audio.

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #1,421 of 1,421
Lol its hard to take them seriously as an audio company if theyre using paper cone speakers on "high end" equipment. Would guess those speakers cost about $5 to make.

i expected the speakers to be a normal ohm at least so i could change it out.

Looks like it's not possible without a DSP, aftermarket amps, losing factory integration and some other stuff.

Bose tech ugh, always trying to compensate for crappy sound quality with gimmicks, the "apple" of car audio.
Yeah, they've always used paper cone drivers, and "engineer" by way of EQ and/or "waveform cabinets". My dad has a set of 901s from the early 80s. They even cheaped out and have foam surrounds that deteriorate over time. It would take a lot of time to refoam 18 of those drivers (they also said the sound would open up with a lot of watts to go along with its EQ module)! It being an array of drivers, the cabinets at least are 8ohm. My dad was also sold on Bose audio when he bought an Audi 5000CS. I imagine it had these same speakers and one subwoofer driver in the back. Now with their "surround" line of speakers, it's arrays of these drivers and a subwoofer module that also supposedly has their DSP technology (so that also you wouldn't be able to use the subwoofer separately). Not surprised then that their current car audio circuitry is staying proprietary. Shame that car brands market their premium sound systems with them (think any of the Harman brands make better speakers). I think at least with Apple tax, they know how to design hardware:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back