car-fi
Jan 16, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #106 of 1,421
i will have to go out looking for a body shop that is not just trying to make a lot of money then. the issue is not really the $1,600 they wanted. it is doing that for such minor damage really ruins the value of the car. since any smart person then realises the car was painted on and must have been in a nice collision. only do that much work if it is actually needed and you have no choice. like if you got hit by another car or something.

i will try dent busters though. they charge $85 for a dent like that and it takes 20 minutes while you wait. i just hope they are good enough not to go and break the clear coat!

music_man

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #107 of 1,421
I had some PDR done to my last car, and the person who does it for you should be able to tell you with reasonable confidence if they can do it without damaging the paint. Some offer limited guarantees on their work, and the smart ones don't try to fix something that they think is risky.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #108 of 1,421
i found a place that is going to fix it tuesday. it is $450. that is not high considering the car and that the damage is on "body line". this place is not going to pull it out with suction. they are going to take apart the interior to gain access to the rear of the panel. then they will bang it out with special tools. i saw i could buy a pro kit for $219 but i think that is better left to someone that knows how to use it!

music_man

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #109 of 1,421
Heh...yeah...I watched the guy who came and took out the dents on my car, and it doesn't look like something I'd want to try without training and experience. Good luck on the repairs!

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #110 of 1,421
actually i got it done today for $175 lol. shopped around. they would not let me watch. obviously they don't want me to know what they are doing because i guess it is rather simple. they must not want people finding that out so they can do it themselves and ruin their business. i don't know, thats just a guess why they wouldn't let me watch.
nonetheless i am very satisfied with what they did and i would not try to do it myself. i'll gladly pay them again if need be. it looks as new. almost two hours. which i imagine most of was spent gaining access to the panel and then putting back the interior trim. just guessing on that. for one thing i have never removed interior trim myself without trashing something. i think things one does not understand are best left to those that do!

music_man

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #112 of 1,421
Depending on the damage, $175 is not bad for PDR work. And maybe they didn't want you to watch because the person doing it was shy? Just kidding. Honestly, just watching the guy and how he figured ways to try to get at the interior of the dents with minimal changes to the interior trim is kinda scary, so maybe they wanted to keep you from being too paranoid about it.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #113 of 1,421
very possibly. he probably didn't want someone standing there yelling "don't pull on that you are gonna break it". which is probably what i would have actually done! smart guy actually then, lol.

music_man

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #114 of 1,421
A 2007 Mercedes C320 4matic.
I love the car, but it's kind of small for me, looking to trade it in for a new Truck.
Debating on the Ford F150 or the Chevy Silverado.

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #115 of 1,421
oh dude keep the mb really. a 2007 is still a fairly new car too. even a 20 year old mb,bmw or audi is a great car. well thats just me i love german cars.

some people say everything breaks or whatever. my experience is just the opposite. the things are completely overbuilt imo.

i know what you mean about small though. i had a gt2 for a few months and got out of it. it was insanely small but it is a race car not a sedan. heck, it even had a roll cage installed at the factory as an option. which made it even more uncomfortable. the other problem was the tires went up in smoke at every stop light even if you did not want to lol.

music_man

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #116 of 1,421
Ah, Car-Fi, constantly fighting for my attention along with Head-Fi!
L3000.gif

Wanted this for about 4-5 years, never thought I could afford it but in the end I got there!

Very late 2004 with 20k miles and the SMG 'box. Took it 'home' to the 'ring and it loved every minute, as an all rounder it cannot be beaten. I did 8 countries and 3000 miles in 14 days back in the summer and it didn't miss a beat.

4.jpg

7.jpg

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #117 of 1,421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, Car-Fi, constantly fighting for my attention along with Head-Fi!
L3000.gif

Wanted this for about 4-5 years, never thought I could afford it but in the end I got there!

Very late 2004 with 20k miles and the SMG 'box. Took it 'home' to the 'ring and it loved every minute, as an all rounder it cannot be beaten. I did 8 countries and 3000 miles in 14 days back in the summer and it didn't miss a beat.

Very nice indeed. Shame about the Welsh police & their rather gun-ho attitude to speeding tickets. Seems that every ticket I've been given has been on the M4 in Wales.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #118 of 1,421
thats a nice car. you probably already found out it goes more than 80kmh lol.
i bet the speed cameras let you know?

i dragged one on a legal strip with an '04 s4 once and it got me but good!

music_man

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #119 of 1,421
Music_man, you seem to be pretty experienced with MB, what do you think of the '94 E320? My girlfriend has one and it seems to be pretty unreliable but she got it used and it wasn't taken very good care of by its prior owner so I'm thinking her car wasn't the typical example.

I really like the body style and it rides really well so I've been looking at picking one up as well. Do you think maintenance would be pretty costly? I'd look at something newer but I spend the school year in Portland and the rest of the year in Honolulu so the car will probably be stored for 4-5 months out of the year when I'm at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back