Can't decide on my first actual Hi-end IEMs - help needed
Sep 12, 2012 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

wms7

New Head-Fier
First of all hello to everyone, since this is my first post here.
I'm about to buy myself a pair of some hi-end IEMs, I've been reading up on that here on head-fi and many other places, but everytime I'm nearly convinced something new comes up... my problem is that I live in Poland where it's pretty hard to come by any of the IEMs I'm thinking about buying, co I can't really give them a listen. I have a budget of about $450 - it kind of eliminates most custom IEMs due to high shipping costs, although I might get some custom eartips made at a local company in the future. As for anything non-custom, I'll probably order from accessoryjack (if anyone has a spare discount coupon, well... you know the deal :D).

But to the point: Right now I'm using Monster Turbines, have used original Sennheiser CX300 and earlier Apple in-ears and some Creatives, so nothing even remotely good. The source is iPod Classic (duh) 160GB. I may also invest in some portable amp in the future, most likely Fiio E11 but let's not consider this.

I listen to many different kinds of music, from classic rock, psychedelic/progressive to hard rock, hardcore and some metal, a bit of electronic music sometimes and a bit of jazz/blues here and there. Mostly 320 MP3, occasionaly lossless.

I also play drums, seldom live but even when practicing or just playing along I use the Turbines, so good isolation is essential. This, however, won't be the main purpose of my IEMs.

The IEMs I'm interesed in are:

Shure SE535 - I'm actually really hyped about those, though I do prefer wide soundstage, that's why I also consider...

Shure SE535 RED - with free worldwide shipping from accessoryjack I could spend some more on those, though I've read some sceptical opinions about the cable. Is this edition worth the extra buck?

Westone UM3X - slightly cheaper, also seems to be a viable option, especially since apparently the low end on these is better than with Shures.

Then there are those custom which are pretty close to my budget, the 1964Ears V3 triple-driver IEMs, which even with shipping should (assuming they won't need to be refitted) cost about the same as the red Shures. However, I couldn't find any reviews of this exact model and like I said before, this solution has its downsides for me.

Any advice on that would be really helpful, I really don't know what to get. Thanks in advance!

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 21
How about earsonics SM3V2 from france. This company famous for making customs and the Sm3 was their first universal model.
when this came out, they were very highly spoken about. Still people recommend them around here.
also similar to UM3X model
great isolation with both um3x and Sm3

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 21
I've been reading up on those too, but at the company store there's a new model, the SM3v2. I couldn't find any feedback on those, as in what's different from original SM3, so I didn't really consider them until now. There's also this new Sweden-based custom company, Cosmic Ears. Their customization options are quite limited but instead they offer triple-driver IEMs for an incredible price, both 2xBA+1xDD and 3xBA configurations. Now, if I could only get some feedback on either of these...

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 21
For cosmuc iems you should count in price ear impressions and shipping price which total is 45 bucks, if you choose better cable then price goes up to $400, which fortunately is your budget.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 21
Yeah I did count that in, but then the 1964Ears V3 are just a little more expensive and there's more opinions about them, though not about this very model. I'm actually more turning towards customs with every day and oh hell it does not help me with my choice. I summed it all up and came to a conclusion that buying universals and having custom tips made in the future may still not give me the true custom feel while in the end being more expensive than certain 3-driver customs, mainly the two I mentioned, since UM Aero is over $500 and Heir 4.A just a few bucks less.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

I listen to many different kinds of music, from classic rock, psychedelic/progressive to hard rock, hardcore and some metal, a bit of electronic music sometimes and a bit of jazz/blues here and there. Mostly 320 MP3, occasionaly lossless.

I also play drums, seldom live but even when practicing or just playing along I use the Turbines, so good isolation is essential. This, however, won't be the main purpose of my IEMs.

Look no further than the Vsonic GR07. Its sound is far more versatile than the other iems you're looking at.

Also, I've played drums for years, and I've yet to hear another earphone that does the drum set like the GR07. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 21
It really depends on what you look for in your iem, do you lean towards a fun or a detail packed iem? Would you like excellent highs, mids or bass? buying wise try earphone solutions, you can easily find 20% off coupons, currently it's "5DAYS" i think, if that doesn't work old coupons usually work too, just google them, but you will have to pay for shipping. 

With a coupon, the w4r will be in your budget, both 535 and w4 will benefit from a cable change (i have the w4r and i can hear clear changes even with lower end cables).

if you don't find customs annoying (which leads to putting them in a case after using them every time) and the problems with refits, then customs will probably provide a better sound at that price point. I found that my w4 (personal enjoyment wise) is on par with my ACS T1 with cable change (the T1s do have better details). I find myself picking up my w4r a lot more than my T1s.

so if you feel that your OK with the inconvenience of customs and potential problems with customs (i had to get two refits over 1 year, maybe just my bad luck) then customs is a better choice!

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 21
Customs will provide far greater isolation.

SM3 and UM3X have different sound signature. Others who had both can tell more. Read joker's thread.

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 21
I am looking for something inbetween, really. Possibly balanced, slightly on the warm side with good lows (but not thumping and over the top). I do like wide soundstage though. I'll have a look at what earphone solutions have in stock, but I'm kinda waiting for some feedback and comparisons on the 1964Ears V3 customs, since they're just in my price range - Project got his yesterday and so far he likes them. I really need some more info before I order anything though...

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
I am looking for something inbetween, really. Possibly balanced, slightly on the warm side with good lows (but not thumping and over the top). I do like wide soundstage though. I'll have a look at what earphone solutions have in stock, but I'm kinda waiting for some feedback and comparisons on the 1964Ears V3 customs, since they're just in my price range - Project got his yesterday and so far he likes them. I really need some more info before I order anything though...

Look no further than the Sennheiser IE80's sounds exactly like what you want. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back