Can't decide on a new set of closed headphones (upgrade from sennheiser hd280 pro)
Sep 11, 2012 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tostaylo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.  I almost just pulled the trigger on a set of Denon Ah-d600's earlier. But after some more research I thought I may be able to get away with something I would like just as much and save some cash.  One set that looked appealing and cheap are the Ultraphone HFI-780's.

I listen to all types of music but primarily metal and jazz.  I think I may be looking for something a little on the exciting side.  I love some good crunchy guitars and bass lines.  Vocals matter but not quite as much.  The other requirement is that the headphones have to be closed and have very little leakage.  I live and work in close proximity to other people. Comfort is a plus.  

Any suggestions?

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Hi everyone.  I almost just pulled the trigger on a set of Denon Ah-d600's earlier. But after some more research I thought I may be able to get away with something I would like just as much and save some cash.  One set that looked appealing and cheap are the Ultraphone HFI-780's.

I listen to all types of music but primarily metal and jazz.  I think I may be looking for something a little on the exciting side.  I love some good crunchy guitars and bass lines.  Vocals matter but not quite as much.  The other requirement is that the headphones have to be closed and have very little leakage.  I live and work in close proximity to other people. Comfort is a plus.  

Any suggestions?

Heya,

Beyer DT770 or Brainwavz HM5 would be excellent choices. If using a computer, hook up with a Fiio E10. If using your portable device or phone, consider something like the E11 instead. The HM5 is on a $99 special sale at MP4Nation.net right now, comes with a stand even. Excellent deal. I'd go with the Beyer myself.

Very best,

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 8
I just posted in another thread looking for a replacement for my HD280pros. I was looking at the Audio Technica M50, but read keanex's review on the NVX XPT100 (very similar to the Brainwavz HM5 that MalVeauX mentioned) and started looking them up. I haven't heard either so can't speak to the sound of them though.

I have heard the DT770 and they sound fantastic.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Any suggestions?

The 780's are a very fun can to listen to. Very fast and has a good amount of bass. They don't leak much either.
Comfort can be improved by replacing the pleather ear pads and head cushion with some velor ones if you'd like. (About a $30 upgrade for
both.)

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Right on.  I'm getting excited now.  Ever since I purchased a pair of Monitor Audio Rx-6's I've been looking for a headphone that can match their level of excitement and detail.  Hopefully the hfi 780's will just what I'm looking for.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back