cant decide help needed :) choosing under $250
Sep 6, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #16 of 33
As an example of what I think is a perfect match album for HD600, Red Molly - Love and Other Tragedies.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/love-and-other-tragedies/id279572105

Every song on this album sounds great, but particular note for all around evaluation is #1, #10, #13. #13 is noteworthy as a very tough test of mids and their ability to render very tight harmonies in a lifelike way.

The samples on iTunes are, of course, low bit rate and sound kind of terrible in comparison to the flac version I'm listening to now.

Another album, at the same status, IMO for HD600 is Wailin Jennys - Firecracker:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/firecracker/id153869226

#1, 4 (more mainstream sounding folk-country. emphasized bass, full range sound) 5, 8 (some nice light bass drum, should be just enough, but not boomy or overbearing),

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #17 of 33
thanks :) yeah track #14 over the rainbow of bruddah IZ is ppretty famous in movies etc..
he is sadly dead :frowning2: but was greatest Hawaiian singer ever many say
amazing stuff :)

while I lsten to some other stuff industrial etc.. its really the Hawaiian that I LOVE to listen to meaning a time when I stop working close my eyes and relax
the other stuff is more background music I enjoy ? I think most people know what I mean when I say that :) music we enjoy and some we love !

so Guitar Center has the 880 I guess in store (250ohm model) ? I hope they would have a set to listen to on the floor ? will call em up and find out listening to those will give me more info then on narrowing this down :) cant find anyone with HD600 to listen to ? will do some more digging though to try to find a place to listen to them
at least next time around if I can have the 880 and my denon 1001 and know the pros cons I like :) will help

this is turning out to be like my Espresso fantatic thing :) that started 20 years ago and now I have a commercial plumbed in Elektra in my house :) hehehehe
I was afraid of this!!!!
lucky when I got my NAD and PSB stuff I could go around with my stuff and listen and finally narrowed that down :wink:

so again thanks for the time !! I do really appreciate it

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #18 of 33
I added another album in my last post ^^ that is a bit more mainstream sounding (more full range) if you want to check that out.

You can listen to the 880 250, but if you decide on it I'd get the 600 ohm model. It will sound slightly better and both have similar amp requirements.

And yeah I'd heard that Somewhere Over the Rainbow song before, perhaps on NPR when he died.

Enjoy your coffee. I can't stand the stuff, mostly the smell.

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #19 of 33
Guitar Center has a selection of nice headphones that you can audition? I have a Guitar Center close to where I live but never thought to go in and look at headphones. Do they have them setup to where you you listen to them? I'm definitely going to Guitar Center soon!

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #20 of 33
I've never been there, but I read on the forums that most of the GCs you have to get them to open up new units to try in most cases. Some people have had nice stores, others.. not so nice. Try it and see what happens. Otherwise try to attend a meet in your area soon.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/24

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #21 of 33
never was into country dont mind it though if its good  :) but I do like it for its values ! and I do think its a lot like Hawaiian that they speak to LIFE as living and know it ? singing about things that relate in life and around them Hawaii its the beach or surfing or BBQ etc..
that stuff wasnt bad though :frowning2: I used to have some old 50s and 60s country that was pretty cool forgot the one gal that was so popular back then ? but anyway :)

a great song about life in the islands that is still played all the time listen to the country in this
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/aloha-friday-single/id283915059

Paniolo music as some call it or country music is pretty big in the islands you can hear a lot of influence in many Hawaiian songs
mainly cause it used to be such a big cattle place and they wanted to be cowboys like in the old west ?

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #23 of 33
Yeah I'm definitely not a country fan, but my tastes are on the fringe of it. I love folk which skirts with country pretty closely. Commercial country is garbage.

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #24 of 33

Quote:
Another album, at the same status, IMO for HD600 is Wailin Jennys - Firecracker:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/firecracker/id153869226

#1, 4 (more mainstream sounding folk-country. emphasized bass, full range sound) 5, 8 (some nice light bass drum, should be just enough, but not boomy or overbearing),

kinda cool stuff :)
for some strange reason # 4 made a group I listen to pop into my head ?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/trickle/id351212007
listen to the first part Love Affair
then the others :)
no idea why cause they are not that alike ? strange how things like that happen ?

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #25 of 33

Quote:
Yeah I'm definitely not a country fan, but my tastes are on the fringe of it. I love folk which skirts with country pretty closely. Commercial country is garbage.

yeah must be like Hawaiian ? I love it but as I said not a country fan but can relate to it :) if that makes sense
the only folk I ever really knew was Cat Stevens and Tracy Chapman :) ehhehe not sure if they are real folk ?

maybe its I like Lyrics that tell a story a bit ? Dancehall and Reggae also do this ?

my Itunes is about 1300 items I ripped from CDs
Island music meaning Reggae and Hawaiian comprises 5318 of that :)
I used to live in the Caribbean and am from Maui live on mainland now as a few years ago so makes sense what I listen to

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 33

Quote:
yeah must be like Hawaiian ? I love it but as I said not a country fan but can relate to it :) if that makes sense
the only folk I ever really knew was Cat Stevens and Tracy Chapman :) ehhehe not sure if they are real folk ?

maybe its I like Lyrics that tell a story a bit ? Dancehall and Reggae also do this ?

my Itunes is about 1300 items I ripped from CDs
Island music meaning Reggae and Hawaiian comprises 5318 of that :)
I used to live in the Caribbean and am from Maui live on mainland now as a few years ago so makes sense what I listen to

Ha! Not Hawaiian. Oklahoman.

Both albums I linked you were folk although they are often put under the country umbrella.

Cat Stevens and Tracy Chapman are more in the soft-rock category.

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #27 of 33
from your sound preference, I would say HD580/dt880 would fit your request quite nicely. 

I wanted ad900 for sound similar to yours, but bass is extremely lacking in ad900(probably similar to ad700). i ended up buying hd580 for half of ad900's price and got a much better sound. 

hd580 is extremely comfy and i would assume dt880 is very comfy as well(Because of those thick pads)

well i love my hd580 :)

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #28 of 33

Quote:
Ha! Not Hawaiian. Oklahoman.

Both albums I linked you were folk although they are often put under the country umbrella.

Cat Stevens and Tracy Chapman are more in the soft-rock category.

hehehe OK I am Genre stupid :) hehehehehehehe

I did used to have a DJ company but this stuff never came up :)
I worked at a club spinning but that was in the 80s and was only Acid house !!

fun to get exposed to new stuff though :)

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #29 of 33

Quote:
from your sound preference, I would say HD580/dt880 would fit your request quite nicely. 

I wanted ad900 for sound similar to yours, but bass is extremely lacking in ad900(probably similar to ad700). i ended up buying hd580 for half of ad900's price and got a much better sound. 

hd580 is extremely comfy and i would assume dt880 is very comfy as well(Because of those thick pads)

well i love my hd580 :)

mahalos :) one quick question on your HD580 did you get to listen to the HD600 ? and if so any thoughts ? and had you ever listened to the Denon 1001 I have ? or the grado 80s ?

good to know it sounds like the AD700 and maybe the 900 are bass lacking then as that seems to always come up :) now I am curious bass lacking like my grado 80 or way more bass but lacking compared to others :)
again thanks :)

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #30 of 33
HD580 more or less is the HD600. I had both at the same time. The HD600 is just ever so slightly clearer in all aspects. I mostly went with the HD600 because it looked SO much nicer than the bland blue plastic HD580. Sonically they are very close. For your information the HD580 Precision (the standard HD580) had a special edition called the Jubilee which looks identical to the HD600 (because it is a HD600). The Jubilee model was so popular Senn made it a new model, the HD600. The main difference was better matched drivers (same drivers as HD580, just matched), a carbon fiber frame, and mesh grilles instead of plastic all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back