Can't decide between the Denon AH-D600 or the Akg K550 help anyone?
Oct 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Cgray11

New Head-Fier
Im pretty new to the audiophile experience. I am currently using my beyerdynamic Dt 770 32 ohm as my main audiophile headphone but im looking for an upgrade to them. Im considering the AKG K550 because iv heard great things about them but I heard there lacking in base. Im also considering the Denon AH D600 but I haven't heard much on them at all. So im not sure which one to pick. I mainly listen to Hip hop like kendrick Lamar and ab soul but I often listen to rock like atreyu. Im looking for something that is extremely detailed, comfortable and easily driven. Im not a bass head so I don't need over powering bass. If anyone can let me know their options on either of these headphones or maybe recommend another headphone in the 300-400 dollar price range that will do the job please let me know. thank you so much 

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 15
People aren't exactly raving about the D600s, but the D2000s when sold for ~200-300 are always a popular choice. The K550s are pretty hard to get a proper seal with some heads. Sound was decent. How about the COP/A900X/Mad Dogs?

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 15
I would second the recommendation for the Mad Dogs (Mr. Speakers mod of Fostex T50RP).  I had the K550's and like them, but could not get a consistently good seal and so sold them.  I have not tried the D600s, but I had the D2000's for a while and the recessed mids did not work for me.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 15
I don't really like the COP look and im trying to get a different listing experience, away from beyerdynamic. My heard was set on the K550's because I love the look but I have heard issues about the seal. I never heard of the Mr Speakers mod but on their website it strongly suggests that I use a headphone amp so im not really considering thoes. I really can't find a website to buy the denon D2000's anymore what would be the current version called?

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
I don't really like the COP look and im trying to get a different listing experience, away from beyerdynamic. My heard was set on the K550's because I love the look but I have heard issues about the seal. I never heard of the Mr Speakers mod but on their website it strongly suggests that I use a headphone amp so im not really considering thoes. I really can't find a website to buy the denon D2000's anymore what would be the current version called?

The COP sounds a bit different from other Beyer stuff. A cheap amp like the E11 (200mW/32ohm) would drive the Mad Dogs fine, they'd also be probably some of the best sounding out of all the choices. Even with the amp factored in, the price would roughly stay within budget. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 15
it seems that the mad dogs don't have a 3.5mm jack so i would need to change out the cable but would the K550's really be that bad of a choice though? Im sorry I just love the look of them ha 

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
it seems that the mad dogs don't have a 3.5mm jack so i would need to change out the cable but would the K550's really be that bad of a choice though? Im sorry I just love the look of them ha 

They're pretty decent sounding. There's actually a good deal on them used at Amazon for $139.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 15
The D600 is very decent sounding. Great bass and soundstage. Vocals are quite forward and sound amazing. May not be the best detailed headphones out there due to shelved down treble, but by no means are they veiled, treble still extends very well. They perform well straight out of an iPhone, just a tad bit hollow vs. amped. They also offer versatility with removable cables and 2 sets of those for different needs. I'd recommend them if you can get over the weird design at first sight.

The Mad Dogs are orthos so they may not be that easy to drive. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 15
What do you guys think of the fanny wang FW 2003 headphones? I know there nothing like the ones i mentioned before. Im not looking at the Denons anymore because there a little out of my budget. How would the FW 2003 compair to the AKG K550's? 

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 15
check out the 76 page denon d600 appreciation thread which is somewhere here on headfi.  lots of impressions of d600. consensus: some good, most bad

simply put, buy denon ah d2000s, amp not needed

google shopping the d2000s (the previous denon) turns up some place called 4electronicswharehouse.com with a price of $349

(google shop the d600 gets you $339 denon d600)

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 15
So I just got my K550's in and there pretty good so far. Im only an hour into listing to them so I can't really say if burn does anything to them. But very happy with them so far. I bought a FIIO E7 only because the audio seems to be lounder in the right ear cups of my headphones when playing out of my mac only. Just wondering, How do you guys think the E7 will sound with me K550's and will the Desktop attachment help and is it worth it? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back