Cans with the absolute largest soundstage?
Feb 19, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 40
Probably K1000, possibly HD800 from the reviews we're seeing.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 40
K1000 Vs HD600 for soundstage size/accuracy is no contest, even when the latter is balanced.

K1000 remains the best soundstaging/imaging I've heard on a headphone to date. That being said, I haven't listened to HE60/HE90 or R10, all of which are supposed to be excellent in this areas as well.

Ultrasones have a lovely 3-dimensionality to their soundstage, but not size. RS-1's presentation is likewise close-in and intimate. Neither are 'airy' or 'spacious' in their presentation like K1000.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 40
Yep, the K1000s are sort of the missing link between speakers and headphones. They sound pretty incredible too, but some folks find them uncomfortable. I did. From more traditional designs, the GS1000s and K701s are well-known for their large soundstage. I like them both but they can be pretty taste-specific. Lots of folks like neither. HD800s sound like winners in the soundstage department.

If you are actually shopping for a new pair and want advice, give a price range and list off some other details about your preferences. It will be easier for other members to make specific recommendations.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombie1210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't the K1000 require some serious amplification?

No.

Any power amp with 8W or more will power the K-1000, exactly as recommended in the manual.

The K-1000 has the best soundstage of almost anyrhing I've heard, headphones or speakers. Speakers depend quite a bit on the room they're in. The K-1000 sounds like an ideal speaker in an ideal room. It's one of the best ever and it's a shame AKG discontinued it and replacex it with the middling K-701. The only thing I've heard beat a K-1000 for soundstage is a pair of carefully placed dipole speakers. That will take you from "you are there" to "they are here." If you've never listened to an electrostat, ribbon, planar, or AMT, you really should. It will redefine your expectations.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 40
Grado GS1000, but you need to match it with a good amp. Possibly Stax (old school Lambda Pros or Novas, or newer versions such as SR-404), but again it depends on the source (SRD transformer connected to a standard amp or an amp designed for electrostats).

Any specific request besides largest soundstage, such as preferred type of music?

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 40
Koss' electrostats are supposed to be good, and from what I have read improve with a different amp. I haven't listened to the Koss models, but enjoy my Stax via an SRD transformer.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobber65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koss' electrostats are supposed to be good, and from what I have read improve with a different amp. I haven't listened to the Koss models, but enjoy my Stax via an SRD transformer.

I can tell you straight up that my K701's vs ESP-10's (both stock), the K701's seem to be slightly more "3D", the ESP-10's remind me of the GS-1000/Grado style of soundstaging (intimate, but spacious, if that makes sense)

haven't heard the ESP-950's though, so can't offer a comparison there

the K701's have excellent staging imho, so do the GS-1000's, however it should be noted, a lot of people hate these 'phones (we're talking honestly hate) for one reason or another, so you should really audition them before dropping $300-$1000 (plus amplification)

and yes, the GS-1k's are overpriced imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back