CanJam SoCal 2022 Impressions Thread (September 17-18, 2022)
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #316 of 638
I updated my CanJam impressions into a more complete post. I'll just share the link here rather than make a whole new post.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #317 of 638
Day Two Highlights -

- ZMF Auteur Classic, Atrium and Caldera: I started with the Auteur Classic because it has always been my favorite of Zack's lineup, and it sounded just as good as I remembered. It had a nice, tightly focused presentation with great mids and just an overall very enjoyable tuning. Next, I tried the Atrium and I honestly wasn't that impressed. It's vocal range sounded noticeably muffled to me compared to the Auteur, and that was a dealbreaker for me. Last, I tried the Caldera and I thought it was a big improvement over the Atrium. It had a very expansive presentation with much more natural sounding mids. It had a very wide, if somewhat disjointed soundstage, and its bass was the biggest of the three. Overall though, I still ended up preferring the Auteur Classic over the Atrium and Caldera. It truly is a 'classic'!

- Linear Tube Audio microZOTL MZ3: Fantastic sounding (and looking) amp. It has a beautiful tonality and great bass response. Even though it technically is an OTL design, the circuit that it uses (LTA licensed it from the legit amp genius David Berning) is completely unique and pretty much has all of the sonic strengths of an OTL, with none of their weaknesses. Great stuff.

- TEAC UD-701N: I listened to this Streamer/DAC/Headphone Amp on a whim and boy am I glad I did! It sounded amazing! Not in any overly hyped sort of way, but it had a tonal naturalness that I have rarely ever heard from any Delta/Sigma DAC at any price. But it doesn't use an off-the-shelf DAC chip. It uses a completely proprietary design that is based on Esoteric's (TEAC's high-end sister company) new Master Sound Discrete DACs. It's not identical to the Esoteric DAC's topology, but similar. Definitely one of the 'hidden gems' I was able to find at the show.

- Letshouer S12: So far, the best sounding planar IEM I've heard. Excellent tuning and great sounding from top to bottom. The only thing to keep in mind is that it needs some decent power from a DAP or dongle to sound it's best. A $9 Apple adapter isn't gonna cut it with these.

- InEar ProPhile 8: Great sounding all-BA IEM with the relatively unique ability to subtly change it's tuning with built-in bass and treble switches. And they fit my ears like a glove so no chance of them ever moving around or falling out. This German brand mainly deals with the pro market. Also, their brand logo looks kinda like the word "NEAR" but it's actually "InEAR".

- Meze ADVAR: I really love this IEM. I heard them again and it just confirmed my initial positive opinion about them. But because of their somewhat overcooked upper-mids (that gets fatiguing after a few minutes for me), I just can't pull the trigger on them. But for anyone else who isn't as sensitive to it as I am, they are a Top 5 contender for best sounding 1DD IEM on the market.

Biggest Show Highlight -

- Enleum AMP-23R: This was without question the biggest 'Holy Schiit' experience I had at the show, and of course it happened with only 15 minutes before the show ended! I've heard a lot of amps that get a lot of hype and I usually come away only mildly impressed, so I pretty much expected the same for the 23R. But this amp was very different. This amp made my headphones sound better than I have ever heard them sound. I literally could not believe it at first. But with every different reference track I played, the song sounded better than I had ever heard it sound! The 23R had this incredibly rich tonality but at the same time had reference-level resolution, and all without the slightest hint of harshness. The 23R had the greatest combination tonal richness, natural resolution and rock solid bass slam that I have yet heard from any amp, tube or solid-state. I was so taken aback by the experience, that shortly after it, I saw DMS walking around, so I ran up to him and told him that he had to hear this amp! Somewhat surprisingly, he had never heard of the brand before, but he had other stuff going on and wasn't able to listen to it, but he shot a quick video of me raving about it! Bottom line is that while this amp is extremely expensive, it's one of the very, very few high-end amps that I've heard were I said to myself "This just might actually be worth it's crazy price tag." Time to start saving my shekels (again)! If you can, do yourself a favor and listen to this amp! It's absolutely fantastic!!

- 2022 Big, Giant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Awards: Focal Utopia 2022, DCA Expanse, DCA Stealth, Audeze LCD-5, Audeze MM-500, Abyss Diana Phi, all T+A headphones, all Spirit Torino headphones, all CrossZone headphones, Campfire Trifecta

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #318 of 638
- Effect Audio Ares S: Great quality cable for the price. Even though it's their entry-level cable, it still has premium build quality, its light and supple, and it sounded fantastic in the mids for vocals. I actually preferred it's SQ over the more expensive Cadmus and Eros S. All three sounded great, but I loved what the Ares S did with the vocal range. I was told in about a month it will be available with the TermX option.
Completely agree. I was impressed by all three of their Signature cables, great build quality and great sounding. Really looking forward to the TermX addition next month as it will provide universal applicability across IEMs and DAPs

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #319 of 638
Any impressions about the AK SP3K?
The UI improvements are a massive change for A&K the whole interface was fluid and zippy. The sound quality was aces out of my Audeze Euclid. Very impressed by the SP3000. The feel, design, build quality, and sound quality... This is easily the best product Astell & Kern has ever produced. I did ask if they plan on creating an SP3000T. Obviously I wasn't given an answer on the spot but they were very receptive to feedback. I'd say if you can try an SP3000 with your music and IEM of choice do so. It is definitely worth a listen. It is a noticeable improvement over the SP2000T.

Day Two Highlights -

- ZMF Auteur Classic, Atrium and Caldera: I started with the Auteur Classic because it has always been my favorite of Zack's lineup, and it sounded just as good as I remembered. It had a nice, tightly focused presentation with great mids and just an overall very enjoyable tuning. Next, I tried the Atrium and I honestly wasn't that impressed. It's vocal range sounded noticeably muffled to me compared to the Auteur, and that was a dealbreaker for me. Last, I tried the Caldera and it was a big improvement over the Atrium for me. It had a very expansive presentation with much more natural sounding mids. It had a very wide, if somewhat disjointed soundstage, and its bass was the biggest of the three. Overall though, I still ended up preferring the Auteur Classic over the Atrium and Caldera. It truly is a 'classic'!

- Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL MZ3: Fantastic sounding (and looking) amp. It has a beautiful tonality and great bass response. Even though it technically is an OTL design, the circuit that it uses (LTA licensed it from the legit amp genius David Berning) is completely unique and pretty much has all of the sonic strengths of an OTL, with none of their weaknesses. Great stuff.

- TEAC UD-701N: I listened to this Streamer/DAC/Amp on a whim and boy am I glad I did! It sounded amazing! Not in any overly hyped sort of way, but it had a tonal naturalness that I have rarely ever heard with any Delta/Sigma DAC at any price. But it doesn't use an off-the-shelf DAC chip, it uses a completely proprietary design that is based on Esoteric's (TEAC's sister company) newest ultra-high-end DAC. It's not identical to the Esoteric DAC's topology, but similar. Definitely one of the 'hidden gems' I was able to find at the show.

- Letshouer S12: So far, the best sounding planar IEM I've heard. Excellent tuning and great sounding from top to bottom. The only thing to keep in mind is that it needs some decent power from a DAP or dongle to sound it's best. A $9 Apple adapter isn't gonna cut it with these.

- InEar ProPhile 8: Great sounding all-BA IEM with the relatively unique ability to subtly change it's tuning with built-in bass and treble switches. And they fit my ears like a glove so no chance of them ever moving around or falling out. This German brand mainly deals with the pro market. Also, their brand logo looks kinda like the word "NEAR" but it's actually "InEAR".

- Meze ADVAR: I really love this IEM. I heard them again and it just confirmed my initial positive opinion about them. But because of their somewhat overcooked upper-mids (that get fatiguing after a few minutes for me), I just can't pull the trigger on them. But for anyone else who isn't as sensitive to it as I am, they are a Top 5 contender for best sounding 1DD IEM on the market.

Biggest Show Highlight -

- Enleum AMP-23R: This was without question the biggest 'Holy Schiit' experience I had at the show, and of course it happened with only 15 minutes left! I've heard a lot of amps that get a lot of hype and I usually come away only mildly impressed, so I pretty much expected the same for the 23R. But this amp very was different. This amp made my headphones sound better than I have ever heard them sound. I literally could not believe it at first. But with every different reference track I played, that song sounded better than I had ever heard it sound! The 23R had this incredibly rich tonality but at the same time had reference-level resolution, and all without the slightest hint of harshness. The 23R had the greatest combination tonal richness, raw resolution and bass slam that I have yet heard from any amp, tube or solid-state. I was so taken aback by the experience, that shortly after it, I saw DMS walking around, so I ran up to him and told him that he had to hear this amp! Unfortunately, he had other stuff going on and wasn't able to, but he shot a quick video of me ranting about it! Bottom line is that while this amp is extremely expensive, it is the only high-end amp that I have heard were I said to myself "This just might actually be worth it's price." Time to start saving my shekels (again)! If you can, do yourself a favor and listen to this amp! It's truly fantastic!!

- Big, Giant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Awards: Focal Utopia 2022, DCA Expanse, DCA Stealth, Audeze LCD-5, Audeze MM-500, Abyss Diana Phi, all T+A headphones, all Spirit Torino headphones, all CrossZone headphones, Campfire Trifecta
That UD-701 was the one thing I wanted to listen to that I didn't get back around to. They were having network issues Saturday morning when I came around. Good to know it left a favorable impression.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #320 of 638
20220919_114522.JPG
20220919_114530.JPG

Half eaten ramen from hironori right next to the Marriott best ramen Ive had under 20 bucks period !! If you're still around I recommend it.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #321 of 638

Half eaten ramen from hironori right next to the Marriott best ramen Ive had under 20 bucks period !! If you're still around I recommend it.
Got HiroNori for lunch on Saturday and absolutely loved it. Stellar Ramen, can absolutely second the reccomendation.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #322 of 638
For those who were at the headphones.com booth, thoughts on the SMSL VMV D3 DAC? Very little written about this DAC.
If you've read my above glowing rave review of the AMP-23R, that means that the VMV D3 (that was connected to it) in no way held the 23R back from sounding absolutely amazing, so that says a lot about how good the D3 must be as well. But honestly, at $3500 I still think it's a bit overpriced for what you get. For about a grand less, I'd much rather get a Schiit Yggy OG and call it a day! :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #323 of 638
If you've read my above glowing rave review of the AMP-23R, that means that the VMV D3 in no way held the 23R back from sounding absolutely amazing, so that says a lot about how good the D3 must be as well. But honestly, at $3500 I still think it's a bit overpriced for what you get. For about a grand less, I'd much rather get a Schiit Yggy OG and call it a day! :L3000:
Appreciate the reply. I didn’t correlate your impressions of the 23R with the D3, so I appreciate you pointing that out. I am not going to buy one, I am thrilled with my current DAC. Just curious how it performs. Very different from their normal stuff.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #324 of 638
Completely agree. I was impressed by all three of their Signature cables, great build quality and great sounding. Really looking forward to the TermX addition next month as it will provide universal applicability across IEMs and DAPs
Yeah. On the second day, the reps made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I ended up taking one home. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #326 of 638
Day Two Highlights -

- ZMF Auteur Classic, Atrium and Caldera: I started with the Auteur Classic because it has always been my favorite of Zack's lineup, and it sounded just as good as I remembered. It had a nice, tightly focused presentation with great mids and just an overall very enjoyable tuning. Next, I tried the Atrium and I honestly wasn't that impressed. It's vocal range sounded noticeably muffled to me compared to the Auteur, and that was a dealbreaker for me. Last, I tried the Caldera and it was a big improvement over the Atrium for me. It had a very expansive presentation with much more natural sounding mids. It had a very wide, if somewhat disjointed soundstage, and its bass was the biggest of the three. Overall though, I still ended up preferring the Auteur Classic over the Atrium and Caldera. It truly is a 'classic'!

- Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL MZ3: Fantastic sounding (and looking) amp. It has a beautiful tonality and great bass response. Even though it technically is an OTL design, the circuit that it uses (LTA licensed it from the legit amp genius David Berning) is completely unique and pretty much has all of the sonic strengths of an OTL, with none of their weaknesses. Great stuff.

- TEAC UD-701N: I listened to this Streamer/DAC/Amp on a whim and boy am I glad I did! It sounded amazing! Not in any overly hyped sort of way, but it had a tonal naturalness that I have rarely ever heard with any Delta/Sigma DAC at any price. But it doesn't use an off-the-shelf DAC chip. It uses a completely proprietary design that is based on Esoteric's (TEAC's high-end sister company) newest ultra-high-end DAC. It's not identical to the Esoteric DAC's topology, but similar. Definitely one of the 'hidden gems' I was able to find at the show.

- Meze ADVAR: I really love this IEM. I heard them again and it just confirmed my initial positive opinion about them. But because of their somewhat overcooked upper-mids (that get fatiguing after a few minutes for me), I just can't pull the trigger on them. But for anyone else who isn't as sensitive to it as I am, they are a Top 5 contender for best sounding 1DD IEM on the market.

Biggest Show Highlight -

- Enleum AMP-23R: This was without question the biggest 'Holy Schiit' experience I had at the show, and of course it happened with only 15 minutes left! I've heard a lot of amps that get a lot of hype and I usually come away only mildly impressed, so I pretty much expected the same for the 23R. But this amp very was different. This amp made my headphones sound better than I have ever heard them sound. I literally could not believe it at first. But with every different reference track I played, that song sounded better than I had ever heard it sound! The 23R had this incredibly rich tonality but at the same time had reference-level resolution, and all without the slightest hint of harshness. The 23R had the greatest combination tonal richness, raw resolution and bass slam that I have yet heard from any amp, tube or solid-state. I was so taken aback by the experience, that shortly after it, I saw DMS walking around, so I ran up to him and told him that he had to hear this amp! Unfortunately, he had other stuff going on and wasn't able to, but he shot a quick video of me ranting about it! Bottom line is that while this amp is extremely expensive, it is the only high-end amp that I have heard were I said to myself "This just might actually be worth it's crazy price." Time to start saving my shekels (again)! If you can, do yourself a favor and listen to this amp! It's truly fantastic!!

- Big, Giant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Awards: Focal Utopia 2022, DCA Expanse, DCA Stealth, Audeze LCD-5, Audeze MM-500, Abyss Diana Phi, all T+A headphones, all Spirit Torino headphones, all CrossZone headphones, Campfire Trifecta
I’m with you on the 23R. It’s the very best I’ve ever heard in SS, loving it paired with DCA cans. If you got a chance the Zahl amp might actually one up 23R, but for +$2k on top of Enleum.

Glad to hear someone else loves the magic that box creates.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #327 of 638
Did you also try the Feliks Envy, several were at the show? I tried it with the Maze Elite, just awesome.
Is that the all wooden one? If so I was certainly “envious” of it. Technically it was my fave amp I heard but it’s priced out of my range :frowning2:

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #328 of 638
Back home now after a fun weekend @ CanJam. I really enjoyed the following in no particular order.

The HeadAmp Blue Hawaii, GS-X MkII, and GS-X Mini.

The Stax SR-X9000 connected to the Blue Hawaii and Weiss DAC 501(god tier listening experience) in a secluded area.

The DCA Expanse connected to the GS-X MkII and Weiss DAC 501(Spiritual Experience) in a secluded area.

The Hifiman HE1000se connected to a GS-X Mini and Gold Note DS-10 (So purchasing a GS-X Mini before the end of the year).

The Hifiman HE1000se connected to a Gold Note DS-10. (Sounds the way sinfully decadent chocolate tastes.)

The Astell & Kern SP3000 w/ my Audeze Euclid's.

The Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor, MEST MkII, and FAudio Mezzo Limited (Gorgeous Looking IEM with luscious sound quality) connected to my DX300 and Amp 11 OG. Special thanks to Frank and Andrew of MusicTeck. Frank I appreciate you for letting me recharge my DX300 Good Sir!

The Hifiman Shangri-la (Affectionately referred to as Shang Sr.) connected to the Blue Hawaii and Boulder 812.

ZMF (Caldera & Eikon) and those Cayin Amps (HA-3A & iHA-6).. Extra special shout out to Zach, Bevin, and Alex!!! Absolutely wonderful human beings!!! ZMF does what they do with love.

HeadAmp again absolutely wonderful people Justin, Marissa, Chance, and Makiah!

Andrew @ Headphones.com Good Dude!

Andrew @ Bloom Audio you're aces in my book. Excellent Customer Service and Support as well.

Joe from Head-Fi! I appreciate you as well Good Sir!

Zeos, that dude is hilarious in person. I enjoyed our conversation.

@ImMcLovin cool Head-Fier!

The gentleman that let me demo his iFi Audio Gryphon.. The Gryphon a is legit Swiss Army Rambo Knife for audio...

Michael from Centrance. Good Sir I didn't get a chance to make it back to your Booth. You have a quality product on your hands with the Hi-fi M8 v2. That was easily the best mobile implementation of an AK4493 I've had the pleasure of listening to.

Special Shout out to @jude, Dan Clark, and Jerry Harvey, industry luminaries but hella down to earth people. It was an honor to meet you all in person.

@krack for walking the halls of the exhibit with a Sennheiser HE60. If you know you know..

I had a ball at CanJam and I can't wait to do this again. The people, the conversations, music, and food were the highlights. Next year I'm making a vacation out of this. Until then everyone Bless Up and be Healthy! Spread love!!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #329 of 638
I’m with you on the 23R. It’s the very best I’ve ever heard in SS, loving it paired with DCA cans. If you got a chance the Zahl amp might actually one up 23R, but for +$2k on top of Enleum.

Glad to hear someone else loves the magic that box creates.
Actually, I did get to briefly listen to the Zahl amp. I can't remember what DAC it was connected to, but it didn't 'grab me by the collar' the way the AMP-23R did. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back