CanJam SoCal 2021 Impressions Thread (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #556 of 616
Rofl. Yup. Sushi in socal seems to always be baked and smothered in crap. Its almost hard to find a more traditional sushi place if you dont wnat to spent $100+/head
I am from Hawaii and I eat a lot of Sushi. What is in those pictures is not recognizable to me as Sushi.

Oct 6, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #557 of 616
@miceblue, maybe if you were Irish, you'd have appreciated them more? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #558 of 616
Thank you for your impressions. Your feedback on the lcd-5 for people wearing glasses is very valuable to me.
Yeah that was a bummer for me. It sounded great, but I'm not too sure why they went with the new headband design. The previous LCD-series headphones have been relatively comfortable to use with glasses.

Here are my listening notes. I'm not interested in headphones and so went to IEMs for the most part. Before I get into the impressions, I'll say that most of the fun was in getting to know other members of the community and the company staff and engineers about topics aside from headphones/IEMs as consumables, tbh. Otherwise it felt like heading to the farmer's market to get groceries.

To describe myself a little bit, I value transparency, texture/tactility, and instrument separation as intangibles in my sonic reproduction. My preferred tuning targets are the In-Ear Fidelity neutral target with a bass shelf that has a bit more midbass/body than the Harman bass shelf does for analytical listening, and something close to the Sony WF-1000XM4 stock tuning for a relaxed target.

NB/EDIT: I primarily used this playlist on the iBasso DX300 with amp11mk1 and a few songs off of this playlist to assess the transducers below. . Notably, I occasionally sampled from this playlist: .

I spent a lot of time with some IEMs and the ifi GO Blu:

Dunu Falcon Pro (reference nozzle): Thick Done Right. Very good sense of dynamic range. Lot of midbass but only gets a bit unclear in busy passages with female vocals. Otherwise it's a very chill listen with excellent sense of tactility, note weight, and surprising clarity and instrument separation, on average. The transparency nozzle helps a bit with the relaxed mids. Very eargonomic fit.

Dunu Zen Pro: IEF Neutral with Slam. As someone who owns a Prisma Audio Azul and considers the Blessing 2 mildly V-shaped, the Zen Pro sounds like neutral with excellent, detailed slam and decent extension. The bass feels like it's always there and actually underneath yet never in the way of the mids and highs. It feels like the bass is one cake layer that goes up to my mouth, above which the vocalists and cymbals and the like exist. Excellent instrument separation, in that regard. Very good microdetail and overall resolution, along with great sense of body. Pretty eargonomic fit. Out of all the items I listed here, this one was my favorite.

Dunu SA6: Very good example of laidback and detailed. Very good sense of heft to drums. Imaging is alright, but clean electric guitars stay clean sounding. Bass is nicely elevated and rounded but not quite as tactile as its DD cousins. Mids are a bit gritty but don't get in the way of actual vocal grit. Extended and non-intrusive treble. Also quite eargonomic. This is def a dead ringer for a baby u12t. Speaking of which...

64audio u12t: The step up from the SA6. Excellent example of laidback and detailed. Consonant sounds and drumkits had great body in the Zen and Falcon Pro, but here it's on another level. It's very close to a DD in tactility but comes up a bit short to how the Zen Pro slams, imo. m20 module seemed excellent for my live performance test track but the m15 module seemed best for it as an all-rounder. Great extension on both ends, with plenty of instrument separation, imaging and sense of staging distance to boot. A little big but fairly comfortable in the ear.

Symphonium Helios: Fun yet lean and clean. Fun subbass and very clean vocals at the expense of some midbass body. Not as dynamic as the U12t but solid on this front, as it makes cymbals, snares, and synths only a bit more compressed/pancake-y. Images better than the SA6, with great reproduction of vocal grit. The subbass helps makes some harmonies and beats more authoritative and satisfying than on the U12t. I actually prefer the Helios with Sedna Crystals for the additional air. It is leaner and cleaner in tonality than the U12t, I think. For better or for worse. Felt slightly bigger than the u12t and a little too tall for the Weiss cable I brought with me.

ifi GO blu: Beautiful BT DAC/amp. With the XBass and XSpace analog EQ, my copy of the Prisma Audio Azul was a perfect pairing for it. Has fewer features than my Qudelix-5k, but the knob, 4.4mm connection, and other few features it has are pretty well done, though its Bluetooth range seems to be somewhere inbetween that of the Qudelix-5k and BTR5. For sure, the Qudelix-5k easily outranges this, lasts longer, and is ultimately the better pick insofar as Bluetooth DAC/amps go imo, but that analog EQ and build is quite nice.

The following items got less ear time than the ones above. Not due to them being lower quality items, but due to fatigue, time constraints, or environmental constraints.

Auribus Acoustics Everest: Excellent all-rounder. Very well-extended into the subbass, despite being an open-back dynamic. Mids sounded spot-on, and the treble just needs to be bumped up a bit to being a great example of neutral. Satisfying rumble and slam. Comfortable to wear. Great imaging and resolution.

Philphone: Very good headphone. Bass is great, there's none of the treble peakiness I felt with the E-Mu Rosewood, and mids sound less harsh or dry. Imaging and microdetail is also great. Very lightweight.

Dunu Luna: According to Tom from Dunu, it was pretty hard to tune the beryllium driver with their patented driver design (which they have improved upon, as the Zen Pro and Falcon Pro demonstrates!) and that does seem to show. Overall, the tonality is fine but the treble is kinda sharp sounding and the mids are a bit hollow. However, the bass is tighter and punchier than on the Zen Pro, with better resolution to boot.

Moondrop Variations: Well tuned, for sure. Mids sound overly gritty. Bass is fun though could use a bit more slam. Treble is actually detailed but could use a bit more air. But busy passages make this IEM kinda average in separation, like with the Blessing 2. I had issues with the Blessing 2 bass being too forward and I'm having them here again.

Thieaudio Clairvoyance (so hard to visually tell this apart from the Monarch): Brighter than the Variations, kinda thin sounding actually. Vocal grit is smoothed over and kinda...wispy even. Nice bass. Very mixed bag imo. A pain to wear for my concha.

Thieaudio Monarch: Okay this one is way better. Leaner and cleaner than the Clairvoyance, but not lacking midbass or body for fast and slow drumkit sections. Unlike the Clairvoyance, resolution and microdetail is excellent in the mids. Also a pain to wear for my concha.

Blessing 2 Dusk: Well-tuned. My sibilance track is a bit harsh on even the HD600, so having none here at all is a job well done. However, this still sounds as smoothed over as I recall the B2 was. Nice bass.

64audio tia Duo: Dipped mids were very distracting, I didn't want listen to this one very much. With the intermediate amount of isolation, you can tell (with no music playing) that there are conversations happening next to you, but can't really make out the words.

Meze Elite: Felt as boxy and cloudy as the Focal Stellia did. Could not tolerate listening to either for more than a few seconds. I would never want to own anything with that sound signature out-of-the-box unless I got them for free.

Where were the Moondrop in-ears at? I was curious about the Blessing 2 since I was considering it. I ended up getting the KXXS since I heard it at their booth during CanJam SoCal 2019 and would have bought one on the spot if they had them.

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #559 of 616
Yeah that was a bummer for me. It sounded great, but I'm not too sure why they went with the new headband design. The previous LCD-series headphones have been relatively comfortable to use with glasses.
The old headband design was prone to stretching, then creating a painful hot spot. The new design should hopefully eliminate this issue. We'll see in a few weeks if it works, fingers crossed!

Oct 7, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #560 of 616
Where were the Moondrop in-ears at? I was curious about the Blessing 2 since I was considering it. I ended up getting the KXXS since I heard it at their booth during CanJam SoCal 2019 and would have bought one on the spot if they had them.
An online acquaintance had the Dusk, and the headphones.com table had the Variations.

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #561 of 616
The old headband design was prone to stretching, then creating a painful hot spot. The new design should hopefully eliminate this issue. We'll see in a few weeks if it works, fingers crossed!
If one hangs the LCD-5's by their leather strap, it will eventually stretch and create a hotspot like the one in the old headband did. Anyways, owners can purchase replacement straps from Audeze or see if anyone on etsy is making substitute ones.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #563 of 616
Don't we all?

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #564 of 616
Dan Clark Audio

As I said, I'd heard the Voce before and was really impressed, but everything else was new. I see the Stealth is polarizing, but I'm coming down on the side of loving it. I think the Harman curve just forms a good baseline for my tastes... maybe not perfect, but close. I really enjoyed these. I'm not about to be able to afford them anytime soon, but that brings me to their other products.

Can I just say how impressed I am with the Aeon RT? I was pretty blown away by these things for the price. I resisted temptation to buy one of the demos, but I think I may end up ordering a new one soon anyway. I really liked it a lot and kept coming back to it. The stealth certainly sounded more refined -- I'd say that about the Aeon 2, Aeon Noire, and Ether, too -- but the Aeon RT really did get me most of the way there. As someone not yet looking to get into the four-figure models (because I'd like to stay married!), these feel like a good step in that direction.

I also felt like the DCA closed backs do a good job of sounding pretty open. That’s especially true of the Stealth, but by accident I found it to be true of the Aeon RT, too. I was going back and forth between two Aeon RTs because I was getting really critical and trying to figure out if I was hearing a very slight channel imbalance between the two, and I finally did a double-take and realized that one of them was the open-back variant! I hadn’t noticed from the sound, although that probably explained the perceived imbalance in combination with the mix of what I was listening to.

I just love the feel of these, too. Great build quality, as others have mentioned, but really light and comfy.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to have some Aeon RT Closed soon.
Thanks for you post!

Regarding the DCA Aeon RT's - why the closed back over the open?? In terms of your preference........

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #566 of 616
Thanks for you post!

Regarding the DCA Aeon RT's - why the closed back over the open?? In terms of your preference........

It's mainly practical. I live with a wife, a kid, and a dog, and my wife in particular likes a lot of fans running, which contributes to background noise. I like open backs, but I enjoy closed, too. In the case of the Aeon RT Closed (which I now own), I really didn't think the sound was all that different compared to the open variant (YMMV). So far I'm really happy with the choice.

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #567 of 616
It's mainly practical. I live with a wife, a kid, and a dog, and my wife in particular likes a lot of fans running, which contributes to background noise. I like open backs, but I enjoy closed, too. In the case of the Aeon RT Closed (which I now own), I really didn't think the sound was all that different compared to the open variant (YMMV). So far I'm really happy with the choice.
Cool!!
Thanks for the reply and happy to hear you went with the DCA Aeon RT :relaxed:

I'm considering the open version, but just wanted to ask if there was anything glaringly obvious between the two?

Cheers.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #568 of 616
Cool!!
Thanks for the reply and happy to hear you went with the DCA Aeon RT :relaxed:

I'm considering the open version, but just wanted to ask if there was anything glaringly obvious between the two?

Not a lot to my ears, but I'm not sure I'm the one to ask. I haven't trained myself to look for detailed differences, and I do have a bit of hearing loss on top of that. As I mentioned, I did go back and forth a lot between the closed and open versions without even realizing it at first (I thought both were closed, and the room was pretty quiet) because I was trying to tell if I was detecting a slight channel imbalance in one pair. Once I realized one was open, I chalked up my perception to the design difference coupled with the mix of the track I was listening to. I must've been hearing a slight reverberation in the closed that the open was just leaking out. But before I realized it, I honestly wasn't aware. I'm sure some here would find that laughable, but they were close enough for me!

I may attempt a more detailed review of the DCA Aeon RT Closed from my amateurish perspective after I've spent a lot more time with it. I'm really loving it a lot so far, though. Granted I have limited experience with headphones of this caliber, but I feel like the phrase "punches above its weight class" applies here. Again, YMMV.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #569 of 616
Not a lot to my ears, but I'm not sure I'm the one to ask. I haven't trained myself to look for detailed differences, and I do have a bit of hearing loss on top of that. As I mentioned, I did go back and forth a lot between the closed and open versions without even realizing it at first (I thought both were closed, and the room was pretty quiet) because I was trying to tell if I was detecting a slight channel imbalance in one pair. Once I realized one was open, I chalked up my perception to the design difference coupled with the mix of the track I was listening to. I must've been hearing a slight reverberation in the closed that the open was just leaking out. But before I realized it, I honestly wasn't aware. I'm sure some here would find that laughable, but they were close enough for me!

I may attempt a more detailed review of the DCA Aeon RT Closed from my amateurish perspective after I've spent a lot more time with it. I'm really loving it a lot so far, though. Granted I have limited experience with headphones of this caliber, but I feel like the phrase "punches above its weight class" applies here. Again, YMMV.
Thanks again!!

Yes, the DCA Aeon RT (Closed) is getting rave reviews over at ASR......Amir lists it as his daily driver... :wink:

I just have a preference for open backs right now and my circumstances mean that the leaking of sound is no big issue.

Good to hear that your loving them - :thumbsup:
Cheers.

Oct 10, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #570 of 616
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back