CanJam SoCal 2021 Impressions Thread (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #572 of 616
@NovaFlyer - I think we should add @miceblue into our social inner-circle next CanJam... The guy appreciates good food! :wink:

Little did he know, that with this seemingly innocuous gesture of inclusion, @Zachik had taken the first step towards the merger of two CanJam social inner circles, and thus unwittingly became the catalyst for the series of events leading up to The Great Pizza Fight of CanJam New York 2022. :grimacing:

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #573 of 616
Owner of HEDDphone here, I can say that @DecentLevi comment regarding it being really good with tube amps at specific impedances is spot on. I power mine with WA6 SE (V2) and they sound phenomenal on the High-Z tap. Low-Z tap is more Solid-state like and bigger soundstage to my ears.

Currently sending in my 4z for the 2021 update, and based on the positive reviews, looking forward for the improved tonal balance.

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #574 of 616
Save the Dates! CanJam SoCal 2022 will be on September 17-18, 2022.

2022SOCAL big banner update (2).jpg

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #575 of 616
Oct 12, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #578 of 616
Save the Dates! CanJam SoCal 2022 will be on September 17-18, 2022.

2022SOCAL big banner update (2).jpg
I think I am gonna wait and see what new gear is lined up before I decide to go. Maybe if there is a new.......

Just kidding! Of course I am going. It is only 40 minutes from my house. That would just be weird if I didn't go. This year was awesome and next year we should be out from under the covid cloud, so it should be even better!

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #581 of 616
Was there really just one COVID case? That would be very reassuring. Good job, everyone!
So the Hifiman rep is the only reported case?

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #582 of 616
Except perhaps (?) for the HF staff and vendors, there is no reporting procedure. Further & given the time after exposure and infection to display symptoms, there is clearly uncertainty with regard to when and how COVID was contracted. On top of that are any cases that result in no or mild symptoms.

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #583 of 616
A quick note for the people who have inquired here about the Ferrum OOR/HYPSOS. I auditioned my own pair of Susvara through this amp, as well as through the new Enleum AMP-23R. The Ferrum was being fed by a Simaudio DAC (not sure which model), while the Enleum was using the RME ADI-2 DAC. Prior to yesterday, I had never auditioned any of these components. Keep in mind all of the usual caveats about show conditions and the limited amount of time (~15 minutes) spent with each setup.

Ferrum OOR/HYPSOS: These are very compact, well-built components which I find pleasing to the eye. The power supply features configurable voltage levels, so may be used with other components (not sure of compatibility requirements). The amp has a switch to adjust the gain, and for the Susvara I set it to high. I think I had the volume knob set to around 1-2 o'clock and was listening at realistic, but not head-banger, levels. I don't think you'll run out of gain with this amp, in other words. I would describe the sound as very clean and neutral tonally. There was a sense of authority and solidity, like the amp had fantastic grip on the drivers. Excellent PRaT. Unlike a previous reviewer, I felt the bass level and quality with the Susvara was excellent. The one thing I hoped for was more soundstage dimensionality. Depth was pretty good, width was narrower than what I'm used to. This could be partly down to the DAC, for all I know. Minor quibble aside, this was a very impressive amp for the Susvara and I give it a strong recommendation, especially for the price!

Enleum AMP-23R: This is the successor to the much-praised Bakoon AMP-13R, and according to the friendly gent who assisted me at the headphones.com booth, the circuit is essentially the same with a few minor parts revisions. Apparently, the price has also come down. Unfortunately, so has the style quotient. This is a fairly generic-looking black box. So, how was the sound? Coming from the Ferrum combo, the contrast was rather startling! This amp throws a very wide and layered soundstage. Instruments sounded more ethereal compared to the Ferrum's "solidity". The Enleum really offered copious amounts of detail and air, and it's very seductive. It's also roughly twice the price of the Ferrum combo.

So, which would I buy if I were in the market for an amp for the Susvara? Very tough question. Maybe both! If you're into a cinematic soundstage, the Enleum is a no-brainer. For more intimate material, and in a certain mood, I might prefer the Ferrum. These are very preliminary impressions, so please don't give them undue weight. I will just say that these are both superb components that merit serious consideration. I recommend them both without hesitation.
So looks like first impressions for Enleum AMP-23R are excellent. Can’t wait for reviews to start tricking in once the amp ships.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #584 of 616
using the 13r as a guide I assume the 23r will be excellent as well because the 13r is stellar,although I much prefer the form factor of the 13r

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #585 of 616
Headphones.com just posted a cool interview with Jude about CanJam SoCal 2021! :relaxed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back